PDA

View Full Version : Low Primary Stat Caster

Yogibear41
2014-03-09, 04:59 PM
So I just rolled up some stats for an upcoming game and am thinking of going favored soul after a single level of barbarian to start with, now the problem is that do to the race I have in mind for this I have a starting Charisma of 11 ha, and a Wisdom of 14(have a -4 to cha for the race). But I primarily want to be a melee combatant anyway, and I will be able to raise it to 12 before I get 2nd level spells, and could raise it to 13 before I get 3rd levels with my level bumps, and am just curious if anyone has ever tried to do something like this before?

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 05:03 PM
The way to run a low primary stat caster is to be a Warlock... they don't need stats. Other casters do.

What are your natural rolls, pre-race adjustments?

eggynack
2014-03-09, 05:08 PM
It doesn't seem all that problematic. As long as you pick up stat boosting items, you should keep up at all levels, and casting spells is strong even if you're not doing so in the best possible way. Maybe focus on spells without saves, of which there are quite a few. It seems like your thing is self buffing, and that should work fine.

nightwyrm
2014-03-09, 05:23 PM
Low stats isn't a problem for casters as long as you have the stats to actually cast the spells. Just focus on spells without saves like buffs or uses touch/ranged-touch attacks.

OldTrees1
2014-03-09, 05:30 PM
You could go Barbarian 1 / melee cleric X instead.
Wis 14 + 1/4HD will last you up through 17th level. At 18th and 19th levels you merely need +1 Wis (and a +2 Wis Periapt only costs 4000gp)

Immabozo
2014-03-09, 05:42 PM
It doesn't seem all that problematic. As long as you pick up stat boosting items, you should keep up at all levels, and casting spells is strong even if you're not doing so in the best possible way. Maybe focus on spells without saves, of which there are quite a few. It seems like your thing is self buffing, and that should work fine.

like everyone has been saying, as long as you aren't casting spells with a DC (like save-or-die or debuffing or battlefield control) you will be fine. You wont get much spells per day for a with primary stat, but it sounds like your build wont be worried about that.

I say it sounds fine

Nihilarian
2014-03-09, 05:55 PM
You have a 14 wisdom. Why are you playing a charisma based caster?

Druid or Cleric would work better. If you see yourself mostly as a barbarian with spells rather than a caster with rage, you may like the Runescarred Berserker (Unapproachable East, 3.0) or the Champion of Gwynharwyf (BoED) instead.

Yogibear41
2014-03-09, 06:06 PM
The Cha is 15 before the -4 its the 2nd highest stat I rolled, looking at making a build where I am a brick wall tank that can cast spells, and I like spontaneous just because it saves time, the game is not a high-optimization game at all.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 06:10 PM
The Cha is 15 before the -4 its the 2nd highest stat I rolled, looking at making a build where I am a brick wall tank that can cast spells, and I like spontaneous just because it saves time, the game is not a high-optimization game at all.

I have an idea for youuu!!

Consider this:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427641
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=202212

As possibilities for how to tank as a brick wall...

Immabozo
2014-03-09, 06:12 PM

personally, I would have gone druid and the wildshaped into a form with better physical stats and tanked like that.

but for a low op game, this build should be totally fine

Nihilarian
2014-03-09, 06:22 PM
The Cha is 15 before the -4 its the 2nd highest stat I rolled, looking at making a build where I am a brick wall tank that can cast spells, and I like spontaneous just because it saves time, the game is not a high-optimization game at all.I'd still suggest switching to a wisdom primary, but if you're happy with it, good luck.

eggynack
2014-03-09, 06:24 PM
personally, I would have gone druid and the wildshaped into a form with better physical stats and tanked like that.

Definitely agreed. Druids do the low stat shtick better than just about anything else. This works also, however.

re_e
2014-03-09, 06:58 PM
if you want spontaneous spells, you can use the spontaneous divine variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm).
The cleric is better than the favored soul because of the domains and turn undead.

Zweisteine
2014-03-09, 07:16 PM
The Cha is 15 before the -4 its the 2nd highest stat I rolled.
But 15-4 is still 11, and 14-0 is still 14. So wisdom is the way to go.

I recommend straight Cleric. Clerics make great gishes.

Particle_Man
2014-03-09, 07:22 PM
Is psychic warrior an option? They use wis but are kinda tough warrior types after self-buffing.

Yogibear41
2014-03-09, 07:26 PM
Decided to change up my scores a bit, so will be going cleric instead with 15 wisdom and 7 charisma, lol.