PDA

View Full Version : 2 handed weapon help

kbpb90
2014-03-09, 05:07 PM
If your a medium creature and your a wielding a weapon 2handed, a greatsword let's say, can you hold a large GS, or is it going to be a medium GS?

PaucaTerrorem
2014-03-09, 05:12 PM
You can use a bigger weapon, but you take penalties. I think it's -4/size category difference.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 05:18 PM
You can use a bigger weapon, but you take penalties. I think it's -4/size category difference.

In other news, that means 'this is a really really bad idea'. Remember, if you take a -4 to hit, you want at LEAST a +8 damage return, because that's what you get via power attack. If you want to wield a really big sword, get exotic weapon proficiency: Jovar, and get the magic item Strongarm Bracers, and wield a Large Jovar. Problem solved.

Captnq
2014-03-09, 05:47 PM
No.

You cannot supersize a weapon past two-handed.

You can get the exotic weapon prof to "reduce" the size by one, however. The Ogre Greatsword for example.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-03-09, 05:50 PM
In other news, that means 'this is a really really bad idea'. Remember, if you take a -4 to hit, you want at LEAST a +8 damage return, because that's what you get via power attack. If you want to wield a really big sword, get exotic weapon proficiency: Jovar, and get the magic item Strongarm Bracers, and wield a Large Jovar. Problem solved.

Even if it wasn't terrible, it still doesn't work. You use a large longsword two-handed. You cannot use a large greatsword.

DeltaEmil
2014-03-09, 05:55 PM
The size penalty is -2 instead of -4.

Also, for every size difference between you and the size of the creature for which the larger weapon is intended alters the "handiness" of the weapon for you (light weapon <-> one-handed weapon <-> two-handed weapon). If it goes beyond two-handed or light weapon, you cannot use it at all.

So for example, if you are a Medium creature, and you get your hands on a greatsword made for Large creatures, you cannot wield it, because the size difference between a Medium and a Large creature is one step, and a greatsword, being normally a two-handed weapon, would go beyond two-handed by one step. A Large longsword on the other hand could be wielded by the Medium creature, but it would become a two-handed weapon for the Medium creature (and also get a -2 penalty on attack rolls with it). A Small longsword would become a light weapon for a Medium creature (with the -2 penalty). A small dagger could not be wielded by a Medium creature, becoming too small.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 05:59 PM
Even if it wasn't terrible, it still doesn't work. You use a large longsword two-handed. You cannot use a large greatsword.

Yea you can? You just take a penalty? Of course, the large greatsword is two-handed, but you can certainly use it. Or are you playing 3.0 or something?

Meth In a Mine
2014-03-09, 06:04 PM
You can use a large great sword, just get monkey grip.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-03-09, 06:48 PM
Yea you can? You just take a penalty? Of course, the large greatsword is two-handed, but you can certainly use it. Or are you playing 3.0 or something?

No, the rules say that if you use a weapon of larger size, it moves up one category of handedness AND you take the penalty, and that if a weapon's designation would be changed to something more than two-handed or less than light, you can't use it at all (so even a Thri-Kreen couldn't use a large greatsword).

Oh and Monkey Grip sucks because you still take the penalty except in edge cases where you get a bigger damage increase than normal, just buy Strongarm Bracers, etc. etc.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 06:55 PM
No, the rules say that if you use a weapon of larger size, it moves up one category of handedness AND you take the penalty, and that if a weapon's designation would be changed to something more than two-handed or less than light, you can't use it at all (so even a Thri-Kreen couldn't use a large greatsword).

Oh and Monkey Grip sucks because you still take the penalty except in edge cases where you get a bigger damage increase than normal, just buy Strongarm Bracers, etc. etc.

And that's why I mentioned Strongarm Bracers... so you COULD wield the Large Greatsword?

Meth In a Mine
2014-03-09, 07:18 PM

I never said it didn't suck, just it was possible.

The other way to get a large weapon on a medium character would be to play a Goliath (Races of Stone).