PDA

View Full Version : Change weapon size?

Spacehamster
2014-03-09, 05:37 PM
Hello I am playing a 4 fighter, 4 paladin, soon to be anointed knight and I were wondering if it is possible to change the size of my weapon to large permanently somehow? As in an enchant or something. Was thinking a large mercurial greatsword would be quite fun to swing around. :) Any help would be appreciated.

Spacehamster over and out

OldTrees1
2014-03-09, 05:39 PM
Do you have the ability to wield a large two handed weapon?

Sizing [Magic Item Compendium] +5000gp Swift action activation

Spacehamster
2014-03-09, 05:42 PM
Not yet but will take monkey grip and the other feat that comes after that, that removes the negative to hit from monkey grip(dont remember name of the feat of the top of my head). Anyways tywm for the info. :)

Captnq
2014-03-09, 05:49 PM
Go to my sig, get the EVD, look up the folder combat equipment, look at Weapons. Read the rules section on oversized weapons.

Spacehamster
2014-03-09, 05:56 PM
Ah never mind, Wield oversized weapon requires 25 str, dunno how to get that cause I guess thats your core str not str from wearing a belt of + strenght right?

DeltaEmil
2014-03-09, 06:00 PM
Not yet but will take monkey grip and the other feat that comes after that, that removes the negative to hit from monkey grip(dont remember name of the feat of the top of my head). Anyways tywm for the info. :)If you're thinking about the wield oversized weapon feat, that one is an epic feat.

Spacehamster
2014-03-09, 06:01 PM
Oh did not notice that but the str req is insane anyways so. ^^

Vhaidara
2014-03-09, 06:38 PM
Ah never mind, Wield oversized weapon requires 25 str, dunno how to get that cause I guess thats your core str not str from wearing a belt of + strenght right?

Actually, you can use a belt of Giant Strength to qualify for a feat. However, if you ever lose the belt (causing you to not meet the prerequisite), you lost the benefits of the feat until you once again meet the prereqs.

Zweisteine
2014-03-09, 06:58 PM
As a word of advice, monkey grip is a really bad feat. With a greatsword, you're getting +3.5 average damage in exchange for a -2 to your attack rolls (not to mention a feat slot)—a less than advantageous trade. Unless you want to be able to wield other larger weapons (for a similarly poor damage bonus), it's probably better to stick with a normal-sized weapon.

Of course, the (non-mechanical) advantages of wielding a BFS (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BFS) are not to be taken lightly.

I would recommend the Fullblade instead. It's an exotic weapon, so you'll still need a feat, but it doesn't impose a penalty on attack rolls. Sure, it only does 2d8 damage, but changing it for a large greatsword with monkey grip gives you +1.5 damage for -2 on attack rolls. The stats for the weapon are on this list (http://rodriguezvaughn.com/geekspeak/index.php?topic=133.0) (just use the "find" command).

Oh, and there're always the Strongarm Bracers (Magic Item Compendium). I'm pretty sure they just straight up let you use bigger weapons at no penalty.

For extra fun, stack the bracers with a Fullblade to deal 3d8 damage per hit!
(Or you could use monkey grip to deal 4d6, which comes out to only half a point of damage more than a fullblade, at a -2 attack penalty.)

EDIT:
Enlarge Weapon is a level 2 sorcerer/wizard spell from complete scoundrel that makes a weapon bigger at no penalty for 1 round/level, though you'll probably need someone to cast it for you every fight.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 07:19 PM
The problem with Fullblade is that it isn't a legal 3.5e weapon. I'm pretty sure Mercurial Greatsword isn't either. For a legal 3.5e weapon, you want a Jovar, and use the aforementioned Strongarm Bracers.

Urpriest
2014-03-09, 07:23 PM
You could also simply use your feats to increase your damage in an efficient manner, depending on the sorts of tactics you're building your character for. After all, with four Fighter levels there must be some feats you were very much interested in taking early, which implies that you were pursing a chain of some sort.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 07:46 PM
What ur-priest said. Getting a big weapon is not something this game rewards you for doing -- instead, it rewards you for actually figuring out what particular fighting styles it rewards, and following them.

Read this for details:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026

Vhaidara
2014-03-09, 09:57 PM
The problem with Fullblade is that it isn't a legal 3.5e weapon. I'm pretty sure Mercurial Greatsword isn't either. For a legal 3.5e weapon, you want a Jovar, and use the aforementioned Strongarm Bracers.

Anything in 3e that isn't specifically updated to 3.5 is 100% 3.5 legal.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 09:59 PM
Anything in 3e that isn't specifically updated to 3.5 is 100% 3.5 legal.

And the Fullblade was updated to be the Large Bastard Sword!

NoACWarrior
2014-03-10, 05:28 AM
Changing your weapon:
The Sugliin from frostburn will do an average of 4.5 more damage (from 2d8 to 3d8) for the -2 attack trade using monkey grip. The major issue is that you lose extra attacks per round using the Sugliin as per the special requirements of the weapon. I'd only suggest this if you are feat rich and really only charge or do 1 attack per round.

Damage Option:
While you could enchant a weapon to have sizing (+1 or 5000 depending on your version), just getting a weapon of the appropriate size allows you some additional damage on top of the weapon instead of paying for the enchantment. Also with the action economy the way it is, a melee character can't afford to waste an action to enchant their weapon during combat (with a magic spell of some kind). An all day enlarge person / object would certainly get around this but can be costly to cast. The money you save can be used to enchant one or two swords to do more damage instead of having something which may look cool but not have a lot of effect in game.

Flavor option:
If you want something like the Tessaiga which has a small weapon sheath and when drawn gets much much bigger, just make a large version of your great sword and make the sheath a 1 slot efficient quiver with an extra dimensional shape. Even better, get the sheath give you the ability on command to cast burning sword (which stacks with magic weapons) to make a cool flaming burst ability for a short period of time. If you instead envision something like the sword of omens, the sizing enchantment is the way to go and is probably the cheapest option.

Seffbasilisk
2014-03-10, 06:38 AM
Why not take a minotaur greathammer, get it enchanted +1 Balanced (A&E), pop on the strongarm bracers, and constantly drag around a size huge hammer?

The Sugliin is ridiculous, but giving up iterative attacks for it is too much of a loss to take in order for the sweetness of 'here's a dozen reindeer antlers hooked together to the FACE!'