PDA

View Full Version : Cantrips Per day 3.5

Teapot Salty
2014-03-09, 07:05 PM
Hey guys. I was going through the phb and I noticed that on the spells per day table, cantrips (or orisons) are listed. And since cantrips are (or at least I think they are) infinite, it sparked my curiosity. Does it mean, if say it says I get one cantrip per day, that once I cast a cantrip, I can't cast any more except that one, for that day. And as always, go nuts.

eggynack
2014-03-09, 07:10 PM
Cantrips aren't infinite in 3.5. If we're talking prepared casters, then you prepare cantrips like you would any other spell, and then it's gone. If we're talking spontaneous casters, then you have a list of cantrips known, like you would with any other spell, and then you can spontaneously cast off of that list of cantrips known until you're out of cantrips/day. PF has infinite cantrips, and the way those work is that you prepare as many cantrips as you're allowed to, and you can cast the cantrips you prepared as many times as you want.

Zweisteine
2014-03-09, 07:13 PM
You have limited cantrips each day, exactly as Eggy said.

However, I've seen multiple instances of a houserules giving higher-level casters infinite low-level spells or cantrips. Free cantrips usually aren't game-breaking, and the give the wizard something to do all day.

malonkey1
2014-03-09, 10:56 PM
You have limited cantrips each day, exactly as Eggy said.

However, I've seen multiple instances of a houserules giving higher-level casters infinite low-level spells or cantrips. Free cantrips usually aren't game-breaking, and the give the wizard something to do all day.

Yes, actually, and Pathfinder does that as well. In Pathfinder, with the prepared casters, you prepare your cantrips and can use them at-will. For sponntaneous casters, they simply throw out whichever cantrips they want from those they know.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-09, 11:28 PM
and the give the wizard something to do all day.

You mean aside from playing quantum racquetball with his favorite simulacrum on his personal demiplane, while his army of IA of constructs rearranges the local political scene on his behalf.

Red Rubber Band
2014-03-10, 12:28 AM
You mean aside from playing quantum racquetball with his favorite simulacrum on his personal demiplane, while his army of IA of constructs rearranges the local political scene on his behalf.

Why is this blue?

Mad Wizard
2014-03-10, 12:45 AM
Why is this blue?

Blue text is commonly used to denote sarcasm on these boards.

eggynack
2014-03-10, 12:47 AM
Blue text is commonly used to denote sarcasm on these boards.
I think he's asking why Phelix-Mu was trying to denote sarcasm, as I'm not sure that it's technically sarcasm. It certainly has the snarky cadence of sarcasm, but it's probably a different thing.

Seffbasilisk
2014-03-10, 07:43 AM
There was a time when the fashion was to denote a reference to Tippyverse in blue.

Additionally, if it's purely to denote sarcasm in this context, it could be that the author would be implying the entire thread to be taken as a sarcastic joke; or at least Zweisteine's line about keeping the wizard occupied, as opposed to throwing the fighter a rock that has etched in both sides 'turn me over'.

Could be the barb blossomed from malonkey1's championing of PF when the OP asked about the limits in 3.5 (so 'tis assumed.)