PDA

View Full Version : Would reloading a great crossbow be considered a "simple" task?

RPGaddict28
2014-03-09, 09:22 PM
A player wanted to have a Collar of Perpetual Attendance and have the Unseen Servant reload his Great Crossbow. One of my friends, and I both think that it would be too complex for the Servant, but I want to see the Playground's opinion.

Zanos
2014-03-09, 09:33 PM
The servant is skilled enough to "clean and mend." Assuming mending means something like sewing, I don't think reloading a large crossbow is outside the bounds of the spell.

The servant can only exert 20 pounds of force however. I don't know anything about crossbows, but it probably takes more than that to draw the string.

TuggyNE
2014-03-09, 09:36 PM
The servant can only exert 20 pounds of force however. I don't know anything about crossbows, but it probably takes more than that to draw the string.

Great crossbows would of course use cranequins or similar, rather than directly drawing back the string (there's no way you're going to directly pull back a 600 lb+ draw weight bow), but those still require considerable force. It might be possible to design a specialized great crossbow cranequin that can be wound by unseen servants, but it would take rather longer to load.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 10:31 PM
I would certainly allow it. Isn't that one of the main uses of the collar?

RPGaddict28
2014-03-09, 10:33 PM
I would certainly allow it. Isn't that one of the main uses of the collar?

It's the only reason why he has it, but this character is just a concept right now, so if it doesn't work, he can just exchange it.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 10:36 PM
It's the only reason why he has it, but this character is just a concept right now, so if it doesn't work, he can just exchange it.

I'd let him do it, and suggest he get a feycraft darkwood tower shield too.