PDA

View Full Version : What are some good grafts for a spellcasters?

RPGaddict28
2014-03-09, 11:46 PM
There are so many grafts out there, and while the EVD does have editor notes, there are just too many, but I'm sure there are some great grafts for spellcasters, a wizard in particular, that the Playground is aware of.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-09, 11:54 PM
A favorite (of the players and myself) minor villan Dread Witch had the full Sadako/Samara "The Ring" vibe going on and she had the Wakeful Mind construct graft so that She Never Sleeps!

It's actually not that bad for spellcasters in general as you can do restful things that are still more useful than sleeping, if the DM allows it (you still need rest to recover spells with that graft).

No grafts that enhance spellcasting specifically come to mind offhand, but I'll take a look. What resources are open to you in your game?

Tevesh
2014-03-09, 11:54 PM
Wings.

You don't want to spend any action economy on a way that will not only save your butt but will flat out make a whole host of enemies obsolete.

Well, arguably Wings should go on everything and everyone, but felt it was necessary to state.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-09, 11:57 PM
Yep. Gonna have to agree on the wings, and there's more than a few options for getting them, I think. Draconic and Fiendish immediately spring to mind.

And yeah, get your whole party winged up for extra fun, plus theme stuff like that builds group unity. :smallcool:

RPGaddict28
2014-03-10, 12:08 AM
No grafts that enhance spellcasting specifically come to mind offhand, but I'll take a look. What resources are open to you in your game?

Pretty much anything book-wise, sans Dragon which is a case by case thing. Actually having the things, in game, we should be good for most things, we can get to our worlds "Greyhawk" with relative ease.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-10, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure if you consider the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar grafts or not but the Ipov tooth grants a slotless +4 Intelligence, Marchosias grants slotless +4 Charisma (both enhancement bonuses), Paimon the same with Dexterity (handy to have with casters in my opinion), Dahlver-Nar grants +2 Natural Armor and the other teeth have effects of varying usefulness. All slotless page 78-79 Tome of Magic

Captnq
2014-03-10, 12:46 AM
Well, the problem is with hrafts, the main perk of them is unusal defenses or natural attacks. Spell casting isn't something grafts help with, unless you are going the familiar symbiot route, and I really don't recommend that.

However, if you have a DM willing to be "flexable" You could go to the extrapolated weapon special abilities section and look up Abbott. Turns out the abbott staff gives a +1 to caster level for a +1 WSA. Now, if you build that into a weapon, spend the 1,000 gp and turn it into a Illithid weapon graft, the +1 to your caster level becomes an extraordinary ability.

I recommend an out of the way weapon, like an elbow blade. Since it becomes a natural attack, it works dispite the "two" wielded weapon limit.

Then, if the DM is willing, you also add the ioun blade eWSA to it and stick in the ioun stone that enhances your caster level +1. so now you got +2 CL as an extraordinary ability.

However, the best use for grafts is to glue them on your familiar. But before you do that, look into Grillion's Blessing (gives your familiar extra arms.) and if you want it to look normal, use Fuse Limbs. Both can be made permanent for a few thousand XP.

Now, here's a twisted idea, only for the evil wizards. Get a warp blade. Get a whole bunch of potential familiars. Start whacking them one after another with the warp blade. Discard all the "canidates" that got a bad roll. The survivors get a second round. Then a third. and a fourth. Until you are left with the one survivor who has the most beneficial mutations.

Technically the mutations are from a disease, and the animal is still "normal" for his type, and thus still subject to becomeing a familiar.

Then you chop off the extra limbs and replace them with tenticles and all sorts of fun stuff.

unseenmage
2014-03-10, 07:20 AM

Now, here's a twisted idea, only for the evil wizards. Get a warp blade. Get a whole bunch of potential familiars. Start whacking them one after another with the warp blade. Discard all the "canidates" that got a bad roll. The survivors get a second round. Then a third. and a fourth. Until you are left with the one survivor who has the most beneficial mutations.

Technically the mutations are from a disease, and the animal is still "normal" for his type, and thus still subject to becomeing a familiar.

Then you chop off the extra limbs and replace them with tenticles and all sorts of fun stuff.

What is a "warp blade"? The Google doesn't have a clue.