PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing and skills 3.5

SuperMuuh
2014-03-10, 12:58 AM
Question:
-Let's say I want to multiclass a rogue/barbarian (1/19) as an example. I take perform (play instrument) for my rogue and then continiue as a barbarian at level 2. Would I still be able to put skill points in perform, even though babarians does not have perform as a class skill?
-This could might as well have been disable device

I originally wanted to post a build idea here, for a multiclassing a character which would be both fun to play, and powerful.
However for some reason I just can't seem to get this ruling about class skills straight..

KillianHawkeye
2014-03-10, 01:01 AM
Yes, you can continue putting points into it.

Once a skill is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank in that skill is equal to your total level + 3. However, it will still cost you two skill points per rank if the skill is not a class skill for the class you are leveling up in.

OldTrees1
2014-03-10, 01:03 AM
KillianHawkeye has it right

Also, there is a human only feat "Able Learner" that allows you buy ranks for any skill for 1 skill point/rank. This is particularly useful if you are going to take several levels where your primary skills are not on the class skill list.

TuggyNE
2014-03-10, 01:47 AM
Question:
-Let's say I want to multiclass a rogue/barbarian (1/19) as an example. I take perform (play instrument) for my rogue and then continiue as a barbarian at level 2. Would I still be able to put skill points in perform, even though babarians does not have perform as a class skill?

Yes. Indeed, you can always put skill points in any skill at all, even if it was never a class skill; however, this is much less efficient and usually not very effective.

georgie_leech
2014-03-10, 02:26 AM
You can do that no problem, paying the usual 2 skill points per cross-class rank. It's important to note though that since it was a Class Skill for Rogues, the maximum rank you can have is always level+3, even if you don't actually put any points into it during your Rogue levels. A Rogue1/Barbarian1 could spend 10 skills points (Maybe Barb 1 is taken at 8th level, both level up points are put in INT, and it's a Human with 20 total INT. I don't know where they're coming from) to go from 0 to 5 ranks in Perform.

SuperMuuh
2014-03-10, 10:53 AM
Thank you for the reply everyone. Well then it is now clear to me that I must make a "Rogue variant / Barbarian" character, and most likely an orc. :smallbiggrin: