PDA

View Full Version : Good ways to spend a wealth of rebuke undead uses

Gadora
2014-03-10, 05:00 AM
So, long story short, I'm currently building a level 8 spellscale binder//dread necromancer, likely keeping Tenebrous bound most of the time.

Before equipment, feats, or anything other than class levels, I'm looking at eight rebuke undead per day, with another set with a five round cooldown, rather than a daily use. I've been digging, but I can't seem to find a good divine or domain feat to use, and kind of want something a little more than dragonfire channeling, though I may settle for that, just to avoid them going to waste.

Does anyone have any better suggestions, please?

Raezeman
2014-03-10, 05:55 AM
Here are the links to the divine feats section (http://dndtools.eu/feats/categories/divine/) and domain feats section (http://dndtools.eu/feats/categories/domain/) on dnd tools, basically all your choses for turning based feats.
I like the divine fortune feat: immediate action to use 1 attempt to get a +4 bonus on your next save. Travel devotion gives you movement as free action.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-10, 06:03 AM
If your DM allows use the CDiv Turn / Rebuke system with something like tomb tainted soul and Acereak bound as well. This gives you a great way to heal both in combat and out of it.

Otherwise Feats to burn on:
Divine Vigor (CWar) - untyped movement bonus and temp hitpoints, both renewable once every 6 rounds = running and tanking fun
Divine Cleansing/Resistance (CWar) - fort save bonus and small element resist, but may not last long enough to be renewed once every 6 rounds.
Divine Shield (Cwar) - with high enough Cha you can get really tanky quickly, but doesn't last long enough to be renewed once every 6 rounds.
Divine Armor (PHB2) - DR untyped as a swift action is great, but only lasts 1 round, good versus physical traps with many different physical sources or versus 100 kobolds with crossbows.
Divine Fortune (PHB2) - untyped bonus to the next save you do as an immediate action, but only lasts 1 round and discharges when used, good when you know you absolutely must make a save, but otherwise not useful in combat very often.

The divine feats come from CDiv, CWar, PHB2 and several more. Some of the feats only grant 1-2 rounds of effects, where as several grant you a full effect which can be easily renewed before it would expire. Note that if a feat says in its actual prerequisite you need to have turn undead you do not qualify for that feat. Feats like profane lifeleach and divine metamagic only benefit from the 1 rebuke per 6 rounds exactly 1 time, but would allow you to conserve your 8 daily uses otherwise.

Gadora
2014-03-10, 05:56 PM
For domain feats, I can basically only swing the death or magic, or possibly the chaos feats.
Divine fortune requires a divine caster level.
Divine armor requires a divine caster level.
Divine cleansing... everyone in the party is a gestalt binder, so everyone has a good fort save already. It doesn't particularly feel worth the standard action that it would cost.
Divine resistance would take two feats, and feels underwhelming.
Divine shield requires shield proficiency that I lack.
Divine metamagic would be lovely, if it worked

Divine vigor is a possibility, now that I reexamine it, as it would grant temp hp to be sacrificed to spectral hand castings. I'm still not 100% sold on it though.
Profane lifeleach is better than I'd thought, on a reread. I may go with this.

I have done digging. I'm sorry if I gave the impression I hadn't. It's just that I'm down to things like Champions of Ruin, and was really hoping someone might know of something that's off the beaten path. I had misread profane lifeleach, so this thread got me to take a second look at that, which is quite helpful.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-10, 07:25 PM
Ah good thing you double checked - my memory and look up skills aren't what they used to be. Far cry from having to build another character every 1-2 sessions.

In any case, I would select Divine Vigor given all the limitations you pointed out. That is unless your DM thinks an untyped bonus of +30 to +60 on BLS is broken, with 16 temp HP every 6 rounds (the temp HP is a bit underwhelming, since temp HP doesn't stack, if it did you'd be sitting on 40-70 additional HP at the start of combat)

Profane lifeleech is a nice situational heal - but since I haven't played evil cleric / DN I haven't experienced the full usefulness of it - I've seen it used by an evil necromancer rampaging through a town when we were chasing him down.

As for the domain feats - given the requirement to expend a rebuke for a use past the 1st use of the day (or subsequent uses as allowed by taking the feats again). Magic Devotion damage is meh and will drain 1 daily rebuke, and Chaos Devotion is ok with an average of 3 bonus to hit or AC but will drain 2 daily rebukes. Death Devotion is "worth it" for the use of 2 daily rebukes but may cause headaches for the DM, otherwise negative levels are very good for shutting down spell casters what not.

Jeff the Green
2014-03-10, 07:46 PM
Persistent Refusal's not bad, giving you the ability to reroll saves against ongoing effects.

Dread_Head
2014-03-10, 08:01 PM
Divine Defiance(Fiendish Codex II) is brilliant to shut down enemy casters as it lets you counter spell as an immediate action rather than readying an action. Divine might is also cool but it's only useful if you're entering combat frequently.