PDA

View Full Version : Effective Drunken Master

Shadowscale
2014-03-10, 09:40 AM
As I develop characters I've recently been invited to a 16th level campaign and am interested in playing a drunken master. The 3.5 class has much to be desired, but I'd like to try to build a somewhat effective character that uses all 10 levels of it. I have a few questions though.

Would a small character do less damage with improvised weapons, what kind of suitable weapons would a small character even use?

After the 10 levels would it be better to take more monk levels or barbarian levels? Since the added strength and con from the DM abilities and the monk having no real loss from being chaotic from that point?

Naanomi
2014-03-10, 10:12 AM
Take 2 levels in Monk (Overwhelming Assault style?) for evasion; and levels of Barbarian (whirling Frenzy, Lion Totem), Warblade (Charge-related stuff), and Fighter (Feats... dungeon crasher could be an option); build yourself like a standard Charger and charge people every round. If there are XP Penalties in place, you might need to advance Monk just to avoid them, going up to 4 and not losing a BAB wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Or exploit 100ft reach with an improvised Rope if you GM will let you, and do a AoO Trip build of some kind?

Metahuman1
2014-03-10, 10:40 AM
Defiantly more Barbarian levels. In particular you'll wanna use Spirit Lion Totem and Wolf Totem AFC's.

You Might wanna also look at a level or two in the Fist of the Forest PrC from Complete Champion for Con to AC, which Rage and Drunken Master help.

Poison Healer is a feat from one of the fiend books that might also be beneficial.

I'd seriously look at picking up what ever that soul meld it is that gives you the ability to ignore an amount of ability score damage, and maybe extra essentia to fuel it. You'll find those in magic of incarnum.

And there's another feat in the Eberron Campaign Setting, Tashlorana, that let's monk and Psi-warrior stack for flurry, bonus feats, evasion, unarmed damage, psionic powers and a couple of other things. That with the Hustle Power and a set of +1 Manifester Shuriken would be very worth while, more so if you focused other powers on all day buffs, and even more so if the DM will be nice and let you have Tashlorana stack both your monk levels and Drunken Master levels with Psi-warrior for things like Flurry, Unarmed damage and Power Manifesting.

Oh, and there's an ability the Kensai Class get's at 5th level. Make yourself an affiliation via PHB II's rules, and make that an ability you get as a membership bonus. Then get the Steadfast determination feat. Enjoy not failing reflex and fort saves automatically on a 1 and having Con to all saves and a rock solid fort AND reflex progression for all your levels.

Shadowscale
2014-03-10, 10:58 AM
Interesting I really should try all these suggestions I was thinking a monk4/drunken master10/fist of forest2/barbarian 4 build

Any suggestions how to do this?

Juntao112
2014-03-10, 02:23 PM
Interesting I really should try all these suggestions I was thinking a monk4/drunken master10/fist of forest2/barbarian 4 build

Any suggestions how to do this?

Yes (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6062.0)

Shadowscale
2014-03-11, 09:29 AM
Are their any specific feats or abilities that would meld well with taking all 10 levels of this prc?

Shadowscale
2014-03-12, 01:19 AM
So, it's horrible, but I really want to build my halfling monk to take all the levels of drunken master and then barbarian levels to be a keg chugging pint sized viking. Any chance of help with this?

eggynack
2014-03-12, 01:21 AM
It looks like you would do well to look into the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176049) for drunken masters. It's basically a thread that answers this exact question.