PDA

View Full Version : Quick TWF clarification please.

Ozreth
2014-03-10, 04:08 PM
Hey all,

If my BAB is +6/+1 and I have Improved Two Weapon Fighting then with a full action I could attack 4 times, and as a standard action I could attack 3 times. Correct?

Thanks!

hymer
2014-03-10, 04:10 PM
As a standard action, you can attack just once.

Segev
2014-03-10, 04:11 PM
Hey all,

If my BAB is +6/+1 and I have Improved Two Weapon Fighting then with a full action I could attack 4 times, and as a standard action I could attack 3 times. Correct?

Thanks!

With a standard action, you attack once.

With no feats, but wielding two weapons, you attack 3 times with +6/+1 BAB. You have massive penalties to hit, but you get three attacks. With Two Weapon Fighting, you reduce those penalties to "manageable," but still only get 3 attacks.

With Improved Two Weapon Fighting, you get 4 attacks on a full attack.

You still only get one attack with a standard action. You need to make a full round action to get more than one attack, even when wielding two weapons with the Improved TWF feat.

evil-frosty
2014-03-10, 04:12 PM
You are correct about the full attack action. You would be able to attack twice with each hand. But with a standard action, I believe you would still only get one attack with your primary hand.

Captnq
2014-03-10, 04:20 PM
Hey all,

Thanks!

No.

Standard action = 1 attack. Period. End of statement.
Full attack = 5 foot step max, nothing but attacks.

Now you Have a +6 BAB. You two weapon fight. Assuming you are using light and one handed weapons, You get: +4/-1 with your primary and +4/-1 with the secondary.

Or if you have two-handed weapon and armor spikes, same thing.

If you dual wield two long swords, you get: +2/-3, +2/-3.

Get it?

Segev
2014-03-10, 04:22 PM
No.

Full attack = 5 foot step max, nothing but attacks.

Now you Have a +6 BAB. You two weapon fight. Assuming you are using light and one handed weapons, You get: +4/-1 with your primary and +4/-1 with the secondary.

Or if you have two-handed weapon and armor spikes, same thing.

If you dual wield two long swords, you get: +2/-3, +2/-3.

Get it?

Don't forget that, using two weapons, it's actually +4/+4/-1, and with Improved Two Weapon Fighting, it's +4/+4/-1/-1

Tohsaka Rin
2014-03-10, 10:33 PM
Don't forget that, using two weapons, it's actually +4/+4/-1, and with Improved Two Weapon Fighting, it's +4/+4/-1/-1

You mean +4/+1 and +4/+1, right?

eggynack
2014-03-11, 02:12 AM
You mean +4/+1 and +4/+1, right?
Why would he? The second iterative occurs at a -5 compared to the first.

Andezzar
2014-03-11, 02:39 AM
You mean +4/+1 and +4/+1, right?No. If you get extra attacks from high BAB you have to make the attacks in decending order of AB. You can only decide which hand to use first.

Why would he? The second iterative occurs at a -5 compared to the first.The first attack is at +4. +4-5=-1

eggynack
2014-03-11, 02:45 AM
The first attack is at +4. +4-5=-1
Indeed. That is what I was indicating, that it would be odd for Segev to mean some second and incorrect thing, instead of the stated correct thing.

TuggyNE
2014-03-11, 03:09 AM
It's always nice to see such unanimous correct responses. :smallsmile:

Barring some unusual feats that are almost certainly not relevant here. (Snap Kick, for one.)

Darrin
2014-03-11, 05:55 AM
It's always nice to see such unanimous correct responses. :smallsmile:

Emperor Tippy has a different interpretation on how TWF works... but yeah, I decided not to mention it.

Andezzar
2014-03-11, 09:44 AM
Emperor Tippy has a different interpretation on how TWF works... but yeah, I decided not to mention it.Emperor Tippy bothers with melee? I'm shocked. ;)

More seriously, where does he disagree?

Person_Man
2014-03-11, 09:49 AM
Protip: If you're the DM, institute a house rule that Two Weapon Fighting Feats (and anything similar, like Snap Kick) do not impose a to-hit penalty, and that you can make a full attack as a Standard Action. It makes the math much easier for new players, and makes low-Tier classes more appealing.

Darrin
2014-03-11, 10:22 AM
Emperor Tippy bothers with melee? I'm shocked. ;)

He likes to build Factotums that get 21 standard actions a round. Hence, he dabbles a bit with melee.

More seriously, where does he disagree?

His reasoning is the wording on the TWF feat is an exception to the "you can only make multiple attacks with a full attack action" rule. However, it only works if you use the PHB text, rather than the Rules Compendium, which changed the wording slightly. And it's not entirely intuitive, as you only get one primary attack, and then one offhand attack per feat, so:

TWF = 1 primary, 1 offhand
Improved TWF = 1 primary, 2 offhands
Greater TWF = 1 primary, 3 offhands

He explains it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15494294&postcount=32).

I haven't made up my mind if I agree with this. On the one hand, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent of the designers. On the other hand, it makes TWF a more viable combat style, making them mobile hit-and-run-type skirmishers, which I think helps add more excitement and variety to a combat system that has way too much "I stand there and hit things" in it. And on the gripping hand... MCHNT.