PDA

View Full Version : Building a "Dragon Ball Z"-like character

Larkas
2014-03-10, 04:37 PM
So, I've been considering homebrewing a "martial artist" class based on the "wuxia cranked up to 11" that is DBZ.

Thing is, I don't want to waste time and effort on something that I imagine could probably be done more easily and effectively using published material, or just some minor homebrew adjustments.

So, for the people who know the series, can you pull off a DBZ-like character using published material? Maybe Psychic Warriors? Swordsages? Warblades? I'm favoring very basic builds here (i.e.: lvl 20 something, or lvl 10 something/lvl 10 something other), but I'd like to see anything you could come up with. Feel free to make simple adjustments to the rules (for example, give the Warblade access to some discipline it doesn't normally have)!

Socksy
2014-03-10, 04:42 PM
The overdramatic flaw.
Monk/Psion
Overchannel when they go super saiyan.

Those are some ideas, I may build a character in the morning, but probably not.

Larkas
2014-03-10, 04:46 PM
I'm not thinking Saiyan specifically, or even a real DBZ character (so no need for free action speech abuse :smallbiggrin: ), but those are some fine ideas. :smallsmile:

PS: To make it clearer, I want a character capable of doing DBZ-like stuff in D&D (not the least to be able to play in the same game as wizards), but not any specific DBZ character.

JHShadon
2014-03-10, 04:47 PM
In Pathfinder there's the Soulknife archetype called Soulbolt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/soulbolt) that could be refluffed as energy blasts instead of returning bolts of energy.

CyberThread
2014-03-10, 04:52 PM
warlock, with eldritch claws. Get all your precious punches , and even have a kamahama wave

SoraWolf7
2014-03-10, 04:58 PM
Well, if you want to get literal, there's Fiery Fist (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/fiery-fist--1124/) which leads into Ki Blast (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/kiblast--1712/) as actual feats, and Ring the Golden Bell (http://dndtools.eu/feats/dragon-compendium--109/ring-golden-bell--3389/)for less Ki Focus but more air punches like Goku has used. However, I don't know much about Psionics, so I don't have much else to say in that regard.

BWR
2014-03-10, 05:00 PM
You'll also need this feat.

Non-misleading Expressions
Prerequisites: Charisma 13+
Benefit: You don't look like you're in dire need of laxatives when powering up.
Normal: You look like you're in dire need of laxatives when powering up.

Larkas
2014-03-10, 05:17 PM
In Pathfinder there's the Soulknife archetype called Soulbolt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/soulbolt) that could be refluffed as energy blasts instead of returning bolts of energy.

Oh, I'll be sure to check it out! Is it compatible with Gifted Blade?

warlock, with eldritch claws. Get all your precious punches , and even have a kamahama wave

Hmmm, that could work, but wouldn't it be a little suboptimal? Remember, we're looking at a on-your-face melee character, not just a character with some melee utility.

Well, if you want to get literal, there's Fiery Fist (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/fiery-fist--1124/) which leads into Ki Blast (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/kiblast--1712/) as actual feats, and Ring the Golden Bell (http://dndtools.eu/feats/dragon-compendium--109/ring-golden-bell--3389/)for less Ki Focus but more air punches like Goku has used. However, I don't know much about Psionics, so I don't have much else to say in that regard.

The flavor is all there, but I have a feeling they're somewhat underpowered. Hmmm...

You'll also need this feat.

Non-misleading Expressions
Prerequisites: Charisma 13+
Benefit: You don't look like you're in dire need of laxatives when powering up.
Normal: You look like you're in dire need of laxatives when powering up.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
---
Another clarification: I'm looking for a strong Tier 3 character. It doesn't need to have only the flavor, it has to have the power to go with it.

JHShadon
2014-03-10, 05:21 PM
Oh, I'll be sure to check it out! Is it compatible with Gifted Blade?

Yea, the only archetype Gifted Blade isn't compatible with is the Cutthroat archetype.

Talionis
2014-03-10, 05:27 PM
Magic of Incarnum can be used to mimic so of the all day buffs like flying. Both Totemist and Incarnate are tier three.

Forrestfire
2014-03-10, 05:29 PM
Wizard 5/Monk 2/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 3

You won't get 9th-level spells, but you'll have the ability to move at super-speed. Greater Mighty Wallop gives you an unarmed damage of 6d6, and spellcasting gives you flight and energy blasts.

Alternatively, Cleric 4/Monk 1/Sacred Fist 10/Contemplative 1/something progressing full casting 4.

Travel and Time domains, using DMM Persisted divine power and other buff spells to become a melee monster. Contemplative lets you pick up the Spell domain, and use Greater Anyspell to nab Greater Mighty Wallop. A monk's belt makes your effective monk level 16 for damage, which I think becomes 12d8 after Greater Mighty Wallop.

In any case, Time Domain gives you time stop to emulate super speed, as well as haste. You can pick up a Rapid Wrath weapon to make you move even faster, and then grab Travel Devotion to let you move and full attack. Spellcasting, again, gives you energy blasts and flight.

If you're good or neutral, then Luminous Armor can even give you a force field that glows gold :smallbiggrin:

Larkas
2014-03-10, 05:34 PM
Yea, the only archetype Gifted Blade isn't compatible with is the Cutthroat archetype.

Nice!

Magic of Incarnum can be used to mimic so of the all day buffs like flying. Both Totemist and Incarnate are tier three.

Hmmm, indeed. I reckon you'd have to invest a little for that to be feasible though, no?

Wizard 5/Monk 2/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 3

You won't get 9th-level spells, but you'll have the ability to move at super-speed. Greater Mighty Wallop gives you an unarmed damage of 6d6, and spellcasting gives you flight and energy blasts.

Alternatively, Cleric 4/Monk 1/Sacred Fist 10/Contemplative 1/something progressing full casting 4.

Travel and Time domains, using DMM Persisted divine power and other buff spells to become a melee monster. Contemplative lets you pick up the Spell domain, and use Greater Anyspell to nab Greater Mighty Wallop. A monk's belt makes your effective monk level 16 for damage, which I think becomes 12d8 after Greater Mighty Wallop.

In any case, Time Domain gives you time stop to emulate super speed, as well as haste. You can pick up a Rapid Wrath weapon to make you move even faster, and then grab Travel Devotion to let you move and full attack. Spellcasting, again, gives you energy blasts and flight.

If you're good or neutral, then Luminous Armor can even give you a force field that glows gold :smallbiggrin:

I was trying to achieve this without tier 1 classes, but I see your point :smallbiggrin:

CyberThread
2014-03-10, 05:34 PM
Honestly it depends on what your starting from or doing.

Eldritch claws basically, add your blast as unarmed attacks, as a free action. So depending how high of a level you are starting off with. You can build your combo and then dip late for a tome of battle class.

Larkas
2014-03-10, 05:39 PM
Honestly it depends on what your starting from or doing.

Eldritch claws basically, add your blast as unarmed attacks, as a free action. So depending how high of a level you are starting off with. You can build your combo and then dip late for a tome of battle class.

D'oh, of course, ToB is dip-friendly. I always forget that! :smallredface:

CyberThread
2014-03-10, 05:42 PM
You won't be super optimized as a monk 2/psychic warrior 18 talshortra build, for pure melee, but you said DBZ, and that has many ranged and melee attacks, ontop of those weird abilities they use, like instant transmission and having 4 arms and flying around.

So Eldritch claws can give you melee, along with a dip, and the invocations can give you decent replication of at will powers.

Shinken
2014-03-10, 06:08 PM
Warlock/Shou Disciple with Eldritch Claws.
Flee the Scene + Sun School for zanzoken + hitting them from behind
Fell Flight for bukujutsu
Eldritch blast for kamehameha
Eldritch claws for melee damage

You could dip a ToB class instead of using Shou Disciple. Pick and choose some maneuvers for greater melee power. If you want transformations, be a hengeyokai and go into Warshaper. Remember thar Rich Baker is on record saying that Practiced Spellcaster should increase a Warlock's Eldritch Blast damage (it does not per RAW). Always remember eldritch claws allow you to stack everything that gives bonuses to eldritch blast and unarmed strike. Take Beast Strike and go crazy.

Forrestfire
2014-03-10, 06:10 PM
I was trying to achieve this without tier 1 classes, but I see your point :smallbiggrin:

Ah, I missed where you said that, my bad. :smallredface:

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-10, 06:30 PM
Well I think you're gonna need to drop your Prohibition against tier 1s. DBZ characters can blow up planets with ease.

What you need is a eidetic spellcating wizard/ rainbow servant.

Lesser Fire Orb, Scorching Ray, Fireball, Orb of Force; these are you're ki attacks. I'm pretty sure the verbal component to Orb of Force is Kamehameha.

Spending 20 minutes of a 22 minute episode powering up? Thats all the cleric combat buff spells that your character is casting before a big fight.

Abrupt Jaunt is how characters teleport out of the way right before they're about to get struck.

Cast heroics for improved and superior unarmed strike so you can beat the tar outa people with your bare hands.

Eidetic spellcaster is perfect for a meditating incense burning kung fu spellcaster.

I can really think of anything that DBZ characters can do that a wizard/ rainbow servant can't (I guess their blasting is inherently stronger?). Rainbow servant even fits perfectly if you imagine coatls to be the wish granting dragons and their secret temple you have to train at could be Kami's lookout.

You can fly, you can fight better than anyone else, you can blast better than just about anyone else (with your bare fists even).

I guess you could be a sorcerer instead of a wizard if you specifically want to be less versatile to limit yourself to just kung fu action...

Shinken
2014-03-10, 06:37 PM
Well I think you're gonna need to drop your Prohibition against tier 1s. DBZ characters can blow up planets with ease.

So does the Hulking Hurler. It's still tier 4 at most.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-10, 06:50 PM
So does the Hulking Hurler. It's still tier 4 at most.

Can Hulking Hurlers blow up planets? I thoguht they could just give em a toss.

CyberThread
2014-03-10, 07:36 PM
Why ruin a good game of pool?

Seerow
2014-03-10, 08:07 PM
Warlock is the easiest way to get the feel (all day flight, at will ki blasts, with the right build passable in melee), but lacks the raw power you're looking for.

Honestly to get DBZ levels of power you are going to want Wizard or Cleric (probably more Wizard).

When I think DBZ power levels, I'm thinking a few things:
-Lots of mobility. You are going to be flying, teleporting, and moving around a lot. Ideally you want to be optimized to absurd levels of speed (at least 100ft movement. Even that is really slow for a DBZ character), with swift action teleports and all day long flight.
-Tons of attacks. Your punches should be faster than the eye can follow, you need to be able to reliably put out a ton of attacks in a single action. Ideally around 8-10 of them.
-Defense. You want to be able to survive a hulking hurler throwing a planet at your face. If you run into a mirror match, you need to be able to survive your own full attack, either by dodging everything or having the HP/DR to soak it and not care. Those fights go on for freaking ever, and it's not because DBZ characters are glass cannons.
-Ranged Attacks/Ki Blasts. Ideally several different kinds at varying effectiveness, ranging from barrages of weaker blasts to single powerful blasts that will obliterate someone and the mile of land around them.

Seriously, I can't think of anything that would hit all of these points except for a very highly optimized gish. And even with that I'm not sure you'll hit be able to hit every point at once. There's numerous builds that can hit each individual point, but I don't think there's quite enough build space to kludge them all together into one and be effective. I'd pick one or two areas you really want to focus on, and then use spells to get you 'close enough' for the rest.

Larkas
2014-03-10, 08:40 PM

You could dip a ToB class instead of using Shou Disciple. Pick and choose some maneuvers for greater melee power. If you want transformations, be a hengeyokai and go into Warshaper. Remember thar Rich Baker is on record saying that Practiced Spellcaster should increase a Warlock's Eldritch Blast damage (it does not per RAW). Always remember eldritch claws allow you to stack everything that gives bonuses to eldritch blast and unarmed strike. Take Beast Strike and go crazy.

Hmmm... With a little Precocious Apprentice shenanigans, a Warlock could arguably qualify for Jade Phoenix Mage. Add to that Rich Baker's fix to Practiced Spellcaster and you could make a competent Warlock/ToB character, I think. It's a little on the complex side, though.

What you need is a eidetic spellcating wizard/ rainbow servant.

Lesser Fire Orb, Scorching Ray, Fireball, Orb of Force; these are you're ki attacks. I'm pretty sure the verbal component to Orb of Force is Kamehameha.

Spending 20 minutes of a 22 minute episode powering up? Thats all the cleric combat buff spells that your character is casting before a big fight.

Abrupt Jaunt is how characters teleport out of the way right before they're about to get struck.

Cast heroics for improved and superior unarmed strike so you can beat the tar outa people with your bare hands.

Eidetic spellcaster is perfect for a meditating incense burning kung fu spellcaster.

I can really think of anything that DBZ characters can do that a wizard/ rainbow servant can't (I guess their blasting is inherently stronger?). Rainbow servant even fits perfectly if you imagine coatls to be the wish granting dragons and their secret temple you have to train at could be Kami's lookout.

You can fly, you can fight better than anyone else, you can blast better than just about anyone else (with your bare fists even).

I guess you could be a sorcerer instead of a wizard if you specifically want to be less versatile to limit yourself to just kung fu action...

Eh, does it make sense if I say that world shattering power is different from game breaking power? DBZ characters are capable of a few annoying feats (flying at ridiculous speeds, short and long range teleport, dimension hopping), but they can only destroy a planet through direct damage. But I see your point. It might be hard to emulate that using only lower tier classes. You gave me an idea, though... I think a Rainbow Warsnake could more or less hit all the bases relatively well (while admittedly being a higher T1 than a cleric, but...).

Warlock is the easiest way to get the feel (all day flight, at will ki blasts, with the right build passable in melee), but lacks the raw power you're looking for.

Honestly to get DBZ levels of power you are going to want Wizard or Cleric (probably more Wizard).

When I think DBZ power levels, I'm thinking a few things:
-Lots of mobility. You are going to be flying, teleporting, and moving around a lot. Ideally you want to be optimized to absurd levels of speed (at least 100ft movement. Even that is really slow for a DBZ character), with swift action teleports and all day long flight.
-Tons of attacks. Your punches should be faster than the eye can follow, you need to be able to reliably put out a ton of attacks in a single action. Ideally around 8-10 of them.
-Defense. You want to be able to survive a hulking hurler throwing a planet at your face. If you run into a mirror match, you need to be able to survive your own full attack, either by dodging everything or having the HP/DR to soak it and not care. Those fights go on for freaking ever, and it's not because DBZ characters are glass cannons.
-Ranged Attacks/Ki Blasts. Ideally several different kinds at varying effectiveness, ranging from barrages of weaker blasts to single powerful blasts that will obliterate someone and the mile of land around them.

Seriously, I can't think of anything that would hit all of these points except for a very highly optimized gish. And even with that I'm not sure you'll hit be able to hit every point at once. There's numerous builds that can hit each individual point, but I don't think there's quite enough build space to kludge them all together into one and be effective. I'd pick one or two areas you really want to focus on, and then use spells to get you 'close enough' for the rest.

Hmmm, I think you might have a point. What if I set the bar a little lower, though? What if we're looking at characters from the start of the series (i.e.: Saiyan/Vegeta Arc)? Characters have that stupid damage dealing potential, but they can't obliterate a planet, can't fly all that fast and, more importantly, can't teleport around as if there were no tomorrow.

Anxe
2014-03-10, 09:34 PM
I did it before with Monk/Warlock/Enlightened Fist. I chose Eldritch Line and Repelling Blast for the Kamehameha effect. It worked pretty well.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-03-10, 09:55 PM
Hmmm, I think you might have a point. What if I set the bar a little lower, though? What if we're looking at characters from the start of the series (i.e.: Saiyan/Vegeta Arc)? Characters have that stupid damage dealing potential, but they can't obliterate a planet, can't fly all that fast and, more importantly, can't teleport around as if there were no tomorrow.

The beginning of the Saiyan arc? You're kidding, yes?

Piccolo could already fly on his own. So could Vegeta, and Nappa.

Vegeta blew up Arlia before he got to earth. Around the same time, Piccolo blew up the moon without powering up, with a single hand.

If you want to set the bar lower, aim for classic Dragon Ball. DBZ starts out over-powered, and just keeps going.

Larkas
2014-03-10, 10:12 PM
The beginning of the Saiyan arc? You're kidding, yes?

Piccolo could already fly on his own. So could Vegeta, and Nappa.

Vegeta blew up Arlia before he got to earth. Around the same time, Piccolo blew up the moon without powering up, with a single hand.

If you want to set the bar lower, aim for classic Dragon Ball. DBZ starts out over-powered, and just keeps going.

At the very start of the series? Those guys could fly fast, but not supersonic fast (it's not the flight that bothers me, it's the absurd speed that does). Piccolo does indeed blow up the moon, though. Why does everyone get so surprised when they learn that Frieza can blow up a planet, then? Weird. And no wonder I didn't remember this Arlia place, what with mostly having read the manga :smallbiggrin:

Regardless, indeed, end of classic DB might be a better bar for level 20, I guess.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-03-10, 10:21 PM
Arlia was the bug planet. Just watch DBZ abridged for a refresher.

Kame house is an island out in the middle of the ocean, according to the wiki. While that doesn't say much, it does mean it has to be at least a few miles away from the mainland.

Goku (on his flying nimbus) and Piccolo (on his flying... Hammer pants?) chase Raditz from the island to the mainland in a couple of minutes. If that isn't super-sonic flight, it's damn near close to it.

DBZ just doesn't know what game balance is. This isn't a bad thing for a series, but you're not going to be accurately representing anything in the series, sub-epic, without using tier 1s... Or ToB.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-10, 10:36 PM
So what is the minimum level for a high op Gish to do the feats shown in the various Dragonball shows? And pull them off reliably, at the same time?

It would likely be epic, yes?

Larkas
2014-03-10, 10:40 PM
Arlia was the bug planet. Just watch DBZ abridged for a refresher.

Kame house is an island out in the middle of the ocean, according to the wiki. While that doesn't say much, it does mean it has to be at least a few miles away from the mainland.

Goku (on his flying nimbus) and Piccolo (on his flying... Hammer pants?) chase Raditz from the island to the mainland in a couple of minutes. If that isn't super-sonic flight, it's damn near close to it.

DBZ just doesn't know what game balance is. This isn't a bad thing for a series, but you're not going to be accurately representing anything in the series, sub-epic, without using tier 1s... Or ToB.

Hmmm, point taken. Still, that's the reason why I've said from the start that I wanted a "DBZ-like" character. It should more or less emulate the series' feel, but not necessarily its power. It should, however, hold its own in D&D, that is, these guys should be very powerful in D&D, Babidi/Wizard-level of powerful, but not necessarily as broken as a Wizard. ...Does that make any sense?

Still, I guess some flavor of Sorcerer, or better yet, Unarmed Swordsage/Ardent, could do it.

So what is the minimum level for a high op Gish to do the feats shown in the various Dragonball shows? And pull them off reliably, at the same time?

It would likely be epic, yes?

Pull them ALL off? Epic, for sure. MOST of them? I'm guessing something between 16-20 (I'm going by the Wizard's level of power, yes?).

LTwerewolf
2014-03-10, 10:53 PM
Swordsage's desert wind maneuvers work pretty well. ranged fireball attacks, flying charges, etc. Swordsage+wizard into jade phoenix mages and you're there.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-10, 11:11 PM
Is there an unarmed variant of the pathfinder magus? If you're not concerned with planet-cracking power that might fit your bill pretty well.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-03-10, 11:12 PM
If you head over to the dream scarred press srd, you can find a fear called Psychokinetic Fists. This allows you to make unarmed strikes at range.

Combined with a Swordsage (unarmed variant or not) you can emulate a lot of things, provided you're willing to go Psion for a while.

You can go further still, if you can get the psionic version of the Abjurant Champion.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-10, 11:14 PM
I'm not thinking Saiyan specifically, or even a real DBZ character (so no need for free action speech abuse :smallbiggrin: ), but those are some fine ideas. :smallsmile:

PS: To make it clearer, I want a character capable of doing DBZ-like stuff in D&D (not the least to be able to play in the same game as wizards), but not any specific DBZ character.

Warlocks can fly at will, have a spamable energy blast. build feats to PrC into shou disciple for crazy unarmed damage progression. Even house rule ACF swap flurry for eldritch progression. Go human to dip 2 monk levels for evasion and wis to ac. Or strongheart halfling, build dex dip rogue for sneak and evasion.

Warlock would be kind of awesome to RP as a z-fighteresque character. Fist of the forest could be cool, but the skills to qualify don't fit my idea of what you want. Either way or a mix could be so much fun. I'd talk like vegeta, call all my opponents kakarot, and spam eldritch blast spears from really far.

Larkas
2014-03-10, 11:22 PM
Is there an unarmed variant of the pathfinder magus? If you're not concerned with planet-cracking power that might fit your bill pretty well.

There's one in my sig :smallbiggrin: You're right, that could work.

If you head over to the dream scarred press srd, you can find a fear called Psychokinetic Fists. This allows you to make unarmed strikes at range.

Combined with a Swordsage (unarmed variant or not) you can emulate a lot of things, provided you're willing to go Psion for a while.

You can go further still, if you can get the psionic version of the Abjurant Champion.

Hmmm, interesting... I wonder if it'd work with Ardent? I'll be sure to check it.

Warlocks can fly at will, have a spamable energy blast. build feats to PrC into shou disciple for crazy unarmed damage progression. Even house rule ACF swap flurry for eldritch progression. Go human to dip 2 monk levels for evasion and wis to ac. Or strongheart halfling, build dex dip rogue for sneak and evasion.

Warlock would be kind of awesome to RP as a z-fighteresque character. Fist of the forest could be cool, but the skills to qualify don't fit my idea of what you want. Either way or a mix could be so much fun. I'd talk like vegeta, call all my opponents kakarot, and spam eldritch blast spears from really far.

You're sure you're not Broly? :smallbiggrin: Nice ideas all around, and great idea on adapting Shou Disciple. I'll be sure to check Fist of the Forest out.

Kane0
2014-03-10, 11:33 PM
Snip
Just watch DBZ abridged
/snip

Just do this, period.
But as far as a build goes, there are tons of ways to do it. The best way is the way that instantly makes you feel like a Z warrior. Even if it's Krillin.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-03-10, 11:37 PM
Plus the fact that anything with a Line effect is basically the big 'ol beam attacks.

I guess you could fluff anything with save or die as a destructo disc decapitation/bifurcation on a failed save.

I just prefer psionics for the flexibility. Plus the ease of access to multi-element burst/spread/line/cone effects

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-10, 11:38 PM
There's one in my sig :smallbiggrin: You're right, that could work.

Hmmm, interesting... I wonder if it'd work with Ardent? I'll be sure to check it.

You're sure you're not Broly? :smallbiggrin: Nice ideas all around, and great idea on adapting Shou Disciple. I'll be sure to check Fist of the Forest out.

Glad you like it. Fist of the forest makes 2 unarmed progressions from your monk damage in 3 levels, lets you boost some stats and gain bite attack while adding con to ac. Personally, if a DM was ok with me swapping features to keep progressing my eldritch blast, I'd take 3 levels of warlock, 2 monk with a variant from srd to get better bonus feats, go FotF3, then if you have the skills based on your int go 5 shou disciple. That's only out to 13, but you treat warlock as favored class, so you can dip 3 levels of something to build up to another crazy PrC or just take several dips like barbarian, fighter, rogue. You can always return to warlock. Also, warlock has a dimension door at will that leaves an image behind. Role play instant transmission, then punch someone in the back of the flipping head!

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-10, 11:41 PM
Also, if you go with monk and fist of the forest, you only gain ac bonuses while unarmored. Walk around with specially made heavy armor that looks like large bulky robes. Fight a round or two, 5 foot step back, then drop the armor to boost your ac and let your dex increase. It's far from optimal. He'll, it's far from strategic. But damn if it isn't DBZ.

Talionis
2014-03-11, 07:44 AM
Magic of Incarnum is a lot like Tome of Battle in its ability to be pretty powerful with small dips. One level gets you access to all the classes Soulmelds. Feats can open the chakras you need to get the particular abilities you want. But if you want a single class that can mimic a lot of the DBZ stuff Totemist is a good class. Just use Soulmelds like the flying sandals from the incarnate list with a feat.

If you want to go this way Warlock also could be pretty strong. It has good Prestige classes in Elderitch Disciple and Hellfire Warlock to increase your damage and give you access to Cleric Buffs like Divine Power and Divine Might. Both of those Buffs act much like going next level, ie Super Sayan.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-11, 09:54 AM
Ha now I've been inspired. Next campaign I'm going to go

4 barb
3 FotF
6 warlock
3 HF Warlock

Hideous blow will be fun

Passer-by
2014-03-11, 10:37 AM
This well known homebrew vow of poverty (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140428) gives you 4x speed flight and the effects of many magic items just by not having magic items. It is balanced in the sense that it makes up for not having items, but then again that is not the point of the original vow.

If your dm accepts the vow of poverty, a monk should do the trick. Someone mentioned this variant soulknife that shoots rays. Both are good options.

.Zero
2014-03-11, 10:59 AM
I think you can't go wrong with straight pathfinder Wilder, aiming for its capstone.

Perfect Surge (Su)

The wilder has mastered the untamable and can now use a blindingly powerful version of wild surge, albeit at great cost. Once per day, the wilder may add +10 to her manifester level on one manifestation as if through wild surge. In addition to this increase, the manifestation also receives +3 to its save DC, +3 to any attack rolls involved, and is treated as a power five levels higher for the purposes of level-dependent effects (such as minor globe of invulnerability). A power manifested with a perfect surge has the radius and intensity of its associated displays doubled; such displays cannot be hidden normally. The wilder exudes light as if she is the subject of the daylight spell while using a perfect surge, and anyone who makes physical contact with her before the start of her next turn takes 1d4 points of fire damage. However, this extreme example of wild surging has its price. The wilder is struck by psychic enervation afterwards without fail, except she suffers her associated condition (dazed, staggered, etc.) for 1d4 rounds and loses a number of power points or hit points (dependent on path) equal to her manifester level +10. The wilder also takes 2 points of ability burn to every ability score.

The wilder cannot use wild surge or Overchannel on the same manifestation as a perfect surge.

You won't be able to deliver insanely powerful fists or to destroy planets, but i think it fits the flavour very well.