PDA

View Full Version : Demons and Robots: Synergy Help Please!

TyrantOfStyx
2014-03-10, 06:16 PM
Okay, so this is my first time posting here on the forums, but this whole site has helped me out with a lot of D&D issues so far. But I've finally come across a problem that is simply too unique to find anything similar to it. So in this, I shall turn to the giants for help. I'll try to give as much detail as possible, because I know from seeing others that it's all a matter of context. Here we go:

I'm playing a Warforged Artificer 8, going into level 9 next session. I've taken mithral body, eschew materials, and improved resiliency as character feats, with extraordinary and legendary artisan feats to reduce crafting costs. I have a unique weapon in the form of an arm cannon that does 3d6 damage and changes elements as a move action through lenses (untyped, fire, frost, elec, force, and sonic, all different shapes). Ive got 18 INT, 10 wis, and 16s across the rest of the board for stats. I took craft skills, search, appraise, use magic device, and concentration, with 5 in spellcraft.

The DM is a derp(and a friend of mine, so I am justified calling him that) and has made this campaign incredibly scarce of any loot (level nine and we have a total of maybe 10k among 5 of us) and the DM is very much into "Magic Flux Zones" aka "I decide what your spells do 90% of the time", as well as cursing 5/10 items we get, and making the others pets. Like a baby raptor and a Gas Spore(Lords of Madness 148) the size of a chicken nugget, in a bottle. I got an odd upgrade as I complained that we were getting kind of shafted. A crack formed on my cannon, and it glows purple. I can now summon any demon (specifically demon) that we kill, with only one at a time, with an hour cooldown, same demon each time, and limited to minions, not bigger monsters. So far I have a Skulvyn (Fiend folio 54) with the "Swarmable" homebrew template on it. It takes off DR, adds DRx2 health, reduces size by 1, and doubles the number you face.

This is my predicament, Giants: I dont know what to do with my demon. Its a summon, yes, but a CR4 summon. It just has no synergy with my artificer, so I need something that can do that, as this is now my defining feature. The DM will be seeing this thread too, so any thoughts for him post as well. I've got a level and a feat, so plenty to work with all things considered.

if you need any more info, ask.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-10, 08:10 PM
Well I'd say make them demons help you in the workshop :D

But in all seriousness make mini costumes and dress them up as helper keebler elves and artifice some magic healing cookies for your party.

But back to using them to help - they could just be flavor, helping you carry stuff or craft stuff, scouring an abandoned library when you discover it, or even helping with setting up camp at the end of the long day. Although its odd that you get demons to do things for you, its easily role played out that you just want them to help you (not in combat). When you get in the swarm fighting combat situations, I'd say don't use them due to issues with friendly fire, unless you are having them mop up / guard an area for you while your party disables traps what not.

TyrantOfStyx
2014-03-11, 10:45 AM
The DM is pleased with the Keebler elf costumes... but the problem I have is that HE is the one playing them, unless I convince him. As far as having them craft for me, I am so far invested into craft on my own I really don't see the benefit, plus I have spells for crafting. I was thinking that if i got them, I'd be using them for combat and scouts, yes. I was also trying to find a way to use my infusions on them, like adding a little armour to them.

I've also been on the DM to make them some kind of artificial creature (makes sense for an artificer), like effigies, so my construct feats work, and it makes them less unruly. Actually under my control moreso than a demon. Any thoughts on this?

NoACWarrior
2014-03-11, 05:07 PM
I'd imagine that you could make little suit enhancements for each of the demons in your demon swarm and give them code names.

I'm talking about giving them customized gauntlets which are +1 and of a certain material like adamantine or cold iron. Since the "swarm" acts like 1 creature its not unreasonable that a few get cold iron +1 gauntlets, others get silver and another gets adamantine, with you calling for "Red 1" (cold iron demon) to attack. Its like having keebler elf power rangers.

As for effigies, I suppose you could substitute your artificer level for levels in effigy master or something like that. It would be neat if you could make a second swarm of mechanical demons which either compete with the demons for your "affection" or somehow melds with the demons and becomes their armor in combat (functioning as the Iron Man 3 Mark 1-25 swarm, able to do things on their own but can form around a creature). As a point of RP, you could tell the demons they don't need to work as hard once their mechanical replacements are built - with them helping you to build it (giving you a +2 on the craft). Once the mechanical swarm is built, the DM could RP the demons getting jealous and then being on their best behavior so that they aren't over shadowed by your completely obedient mechanical swarm.

TyrantOfStyx
2014-03-18, 04:05 PM
I think i may have mislead with the naming of the template. Its not a swarm for one creature. i meant it gives the DM the excuse for throwing 20 at us. i got 1 so far. More are hopefully on the way though. So far only one.

The DM errated them to being artificial, of my alignment, and under my control. Clones essentially. Intelligent, but mine like a familiar in attitude. If I do end up utterly abusing them though, he has pointed out that they will in fact rebel upon their creator like mewtwo did.

So far they are getting a special armoured torc to use (little more effective than an elf hat), and possibly a few augments to that armour. He hasn't seen any sort of useage yet, since the Cleric is still at odds with me over it. Soon it will be more implementable. I'm still trying to think of any sort of augments to make. adding cyborg enhancements and things like that, anything for synergy