View Full Version : Getting a slaymate

Sniper
2014-03-10, 08:06 PM
Short of begging/bribing the DM to encounter one, is there an easy way? I considered undead leadership, but without an LA I can't figure out what their ECL would be for leadership purposes. Advice?

Jeff the Green
2014-03-10, 08:46 PM
Nope. You have to work with your DM (or play a child abuser). Notably, you can't get them as cohorts or followers because they don't even have an ECL.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-10, 08:50 PM
You don't technically have to be a child abuser.

You can make someone else do it.

Or just try to sell the DM on how silly you're gonna look with an undead kid riding around on your back like a necromantic Master-Blaster. :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2014-03-10, 09:22 PM
It's basically just a matter of looking for them in the setting, so it's as easy or hard as your DM wants it to be.

Unless...is there a way to make a generic undead incorporeal? Trying to think of whether Spirit Binding could work...

Sniper
2014-03-10, 11:50 PM
You don't technically have to be a child abuser.

You can make someone else do it.

Or just try to sell the DM on how silly you're gonna look with an undead kid riding around on your back like a necromantic Master-Blaster. :smallbiggrin:

That was pretty much the idea I had in mind. The blaster master, not the child abuser.

Didn't think so, hut thought I'd ask anyway

MadGreenSon
2014-03-10, 11:54 PM
That was pretty much the idea I had in mind. The blaster master, not the child abuser.

Didn't think so, hut thought I'd ask anyway

What? What kind of DM doesn't let a PC have a creepy undead child ride around on their back?

That's just bad DMing! :smalltongue:

Grollub
2014-03-11, 12:54 AM
cant you just make one with Create Undead?

Know(Nothing)
2014-03-11, 04:39 AM
If there are evil magic-marts available, the Shrouds of the Unholy (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x) let you choose the undead that are raised.

Jeff the Green
2014-03-11, 04:48 AM
It's basically just a matter of looking for them in the setting, so it's as easy or hard as your DM wants it to be.

Unless...is there a way to make a generic undead incorporeal? Trying to think of whether Spirit Binding could work...

Doesn't look like it. At least, there isn't a template for it in the Master Template List.

If there are evil magic-marts available, the Shrouds of the Unholy (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x) let you choose the undead that are raised.

Those appear to work as animate dead, create undead, and create greater undead, none of which let you create a slaymate.

Necroticplague
2014-03-11, 05:32 AM
Their are rules for buying slaves that are based on CR, not ECL. So you could buy a slaymate with your WBL. If my memory is right, should be a mere 400 for a CR2 creature.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-11, 07:30 AM
Their are rules for buying slaves that are based on CR, not ECL. So you could buy a slaymate with your WBL. If my memory is right, should be a mere 400 for a CR2 creature.

Congratulations! You just made the creepy undead child creepier! :smallbiggrin:

Vizzerdrix
2014-03-11, 09:16 AM
Your creepy new child is going to need a creepy new pet. Skiurid nuts have a nice boosting effect on necromancy spells

MadGreenSon
2014-03-11, 09:42 AM
Undead children, negative energy squirrels, and where does it stop? Before you know it, he's no longer a necromancer, he's Evil Mr. Rogers! :smallbiggrin:

Wait, that works. What else have we got after the Skiurid? Maybe a Spectral Lyrist for the musical numbers?

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-11, 09:46 AM
Nah, the guy is a dread necro / PRC bard / dirge singer X with preform piano. He wears a colorful sweater and asks people to be his neighbor all the time.

Urpriest
2014-03-11, 10:07 AM
Doesn't look like it. At least, there isn't a template for it in the Master Template List.

AFB at the moment, could someone check if Haunt Shift works for this?

Necroticplague
2014-03-11, 10:08 AM
Congratulations! You just made the creepy undead child creepier! :smallbiggrin:

Tough life. Neglected by parents to death, then enslaved because it turns out, necromancy has good use for them.

Inevitability
2014-03-11, 10:12 AM
Your creepy new child is going to need a creepy new pet. Skiurid nuts have a nice boosting effect on necromancy spells

Nah, we want a spellstitched familiar. Having a few more undead slaves running around is far better than some hard fruits.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-11, 10:14 AM
Nah, we want a spellstitched familiar. Having a few more undead slaves running around is far better than some hard fruits.

Why not both? I mean, it would add to the sense of surreal disconnection all of this would create in anyone that comes up against you.

Undead kids, evil squirrels... yeah they might think they're getting punk'd or something. :smallbiggrin:

Segev
2014-03-11, 04:10 PM
Step 1: Find a neutral-to-evil parent who is desperate or cruel enough to be willing to sell you their child for some amount of money or favor. Best of the child foolishly trusts the parent (which should be pretty common).

Step 2: Use the child in your ritual to become a lich.

Step 3: Wait for the corpse to animate after the horrible betrayal of its parent in turning it over to you for this purpose, then use Command Undead on it to convince the little thing you're its best friend.

Necromancy is so much EASIER to be efficient with when you're a dirty rotten jerk.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-11, 04:45 PM
Necromancy is so much EASIER to be efficient with when you're a dirty rotten jerk.

Geez... Did you test gifted for this sort of thing?:smallbiggrin:

Next time I need an all out evil overlord I guess I know who to call.

Necroticplague
2014-03-11, 04:55 PM
Step 1: Find a neutral-to-evil parent who is desperate or cruel enough to be willing to sell you their child for some amount of money or favor. Best of the child foolishly trusts the parent (which should be pretty common).

Step 2: Use the child in your ritual to become a lich.

Step 3: Wait for the corpse to animate after the horrible betrayal of its parent in turning it over to you for this purpose, then use Command Undead on it to convince the little thing you're its best friend.

Of course, do remember that no spontaneous undead formation is guaranteed. So you might have to find other rituals to sacrifice the kid in. Or get several kids all in one giant ritual. Or you can do both: one wave of kids for your lichdom, and another for your demilichdom if the first doesn't produce a slaymate.

Geez... Did you test gifted for this sort of thing?:smallbiggrin:

Next time I need an all out evil overlord I guess I know who to call.

Oh hey, I remember that class! Puppy Kicking 101 is a lot harder than it sounds.

Jack_Simth
2014-03-11, 07:49 PM
Entropic Creature, Planar Handbook page 123. It's not undead-specific, but can apply to undead.

Urpriest
2014-03-11, 07:52 PM
Entropic Creature, Planar Handbook page 123. It's not undead-specific, but can apply to undead.

I see nothing in that template that can turn a creature Incorporeal.

Although, that does raise a point: Gate would work to bring in an Extraplanar Slaymate, if you can wait that long.

Jack_Simth
2014-03-11, 07:56 PM
I see nothing in that template that can turn a creature Incorporeal.Ah, drat. I had it confused with it's opposite, Vivatious creature.

Ah well.

Hmm... the Monster Manual V Phantom, maybe? Not constantly incorporeal, but incorporeal periodically.

Urpriest
2014-03-11, 08:11 PM
Ah, drat. I had it confused with it's opposite, Vivatious creature.

Ah well.

Hmm... the Monster Manual V Phantom, maybe? Not constantly incorporeal, but incorporeal periodically.

Hmm...you'd have to time the Spirit Binding to hit it while it's moving then. :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2014-03-11, 08:34 PM
Hmm...you'd have to time the Spirit Binding to hit it while it's moving then. :smalltongue:
Well, there's a fair number of infinite planes.

Let's suppose there is some circumstance under which a Phantom Slaymate will form naturally, that has probability X (a very low, but not quite zero probability). There are a largish number of defined infinite planes in the D&D default cosmology. If there are any such planes where X is above 0, then there's going to be some nonzero distribution of Phantom Slaymates on that plane. As the plane is infinite, a nonzero distribution means infinite Phantom Slaymates. If we assume that, at any given time, there is some nonzero probability (Y) that a given Phantom will be in an incorporeal state, then given infinite phantoms, Y percentage of them will be incorporeal at a given time. As long as Spirit Binding acts much like Planar Binding in that it lets you call a specific kind of critter, and doesn't force you to specifically name one, there's going to be one somewhere that qualifies.