PDA

View Full Version : Rage and Mental Clarity: where is the line?

PangolinPie
2014-03-10, 09:58 PM
Now, I've played with many DM's in the past an each tended to have their own house rules or read into the supplemental material differently but I have to ask you good people...exactly to what degree is a characters judgement, mental faculties and intellect impaired by a barbarian rage?

I've seen a fairly regular build for a non lawful unarmed character that involves mixing the barbarian with bear warrior and a few levels of Warblade or Swordsage. But can you utilize maneuvers from ToB while raging? For that matter what about Barbarian/Druids using wild shape. Wouldn't the sudden lack of focus and chaotic mind force them to change back? It seems there are so many gray areas that are vague at best that make all this difficult to really iron out.

I've seen this topic come up on here a number of times randomly in various threads so I figured I'd just assign it it's own topic.

TuggyNE
2014-03-11, 03:17 AM
If it can require concentration, which generally means Concentration, it doesn't work. Some skill uses* and all spells and SLAs get taken out by this. Wild Shape does not.

Anything that requires "patience", perhaps like Stormguard Warrior, also doesn't work, although that's a lot muddier. I don't think there are too many abilities for which that's in question though.

*It's true! You have to make almost the same checks to continue picking a lock while being shot at as you do to continue spellcasting. DCs are lower, that's all.

Dr.Gara
2014-03-11, 04:33 AM
The Book of Nine Swords mentions out right that a maneuver doesn't require concentration. Based on that, I'd have to assume that even a raging Barbarian would be able to perform one.

Zombimode
2014-03-11, 05:00 AM
The Book of Nine Swords mentions out right that a maneuver doesn't require concentration. Based on that, I'd have to assume that even a raging Barbarian would be able to perform one.

Well, aside those that include a Concentration check :smallamused:

HammeredWharf
2014-03-11, 05:19 AM
I generally try not to screw mundanes over more than necessary. Things that obviously require great focus, such as Autohypnosis and Psionic Focus, are out. Other than that and the what's explicitly stated in Rage's description, anything goes.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-11, 07:10 AM
If it hurts something, it should be allowed unless there is a specific reason it can't work. That is the whole POINT of rage.

Chronos
2014-03-11, 08:06 AM
Most of Diamond Mind is probably out. Tiger Claw, though, is all about getting in touch with your inner beast, and so should work just fine with rage.