PDA

View Full Version : Monk Without Using Monk (PF)

Iolaus
2014-03-11, 12:14 AM
Ok so we can only use PFSRD
We can use Gestalt for this build.

I want to simulate and do better then a monk using just what is on the SRD.
The teleporting step and so forth are good, I love Stunning Fist and Quivering palm so maybe something cool like that?

Psionics are allowed, as I am heavily looking at Soulknife and its Deadly Fist.

Psyren
2014-03-11, 12:26 AM
1) Deadly Fist Gifted Blade Knuckle Soulknife
2) Ascetic Brawling Psywar
3) Unarmed Ninja

Any of these three can monk without monk. In gestalt, you can't go wrong with Vitalist on the other side for the first two or Wilder on the other side for the third.

Spore
2014-03-11, 12:32 AM
Actually I can see monk/cleric work in gestalt pretty well. I'd consider Qigong Monk/Ki Mystic with either vanilla Cleric or Evangelist. (Monk/Druid is also very possible but I dislike the notion of Kung Fu Grizzlys...)

Why is Monk suddenly so powerful? It synergizes with Wisdom (and QiGong and Mystic rely more heavily on Wis) provides buffs and spells, has very good stats and does not have to waste feats on unarmed combat. Pick either unarmed combat (Elemental Fist, Dragon Style route) or a Twohanded Monk weapon to flurry with.

As for Psionics I am at a loss of words, I can't help you with the topic at hand. I wanted to share the thought that Monks get very powerful as Gestalt.

deuxhero
2014-03-11, 12:36 AM
Empyreal Sorcerer can pull off any of the "Ki" stuff you want to do easily. Just make the other half a martial and you are good to go.

grarrrg
2014-03-11, 12:47 AM
3) Unarmed Ninja

Mostly this.

Ki Pool (slightly different uses, same basic stuff)
Trick for "Monk Unarmed damage = to Ninja-4"
Evasion by way of Trick
Enough Ninja Tricks to replicate most of the lamer Monk features.

Only problem is the Unarmed Damage and Evasion are "master" tricks, so you'd have to wait until level 10+
Although a Gestalt could get you Evasion, and later the Improved version. Still probably better off sticking to Ninja for it though.

Flurry would probably have to be replaced with Two-Weapon Fighting.

The WIS-to-AC bonus is pretty much not happening...but then again, nothing is stopping us from just wearing Light Armor anyway. So that point is kinda moot.

Shigenjo Oracles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-tengu/shigenjo-oracle-tengu) also get a Ki Pool, although with very limited effects, and can nab Quivering Palm as a 'Revelation' at level 15. And the Final Revelation is fitting as well...are there any Mysteries that work though?

Nihilarian
2014-03-11, 12:52 AM
Monk is perfectly fine in a gestalt build. I'd recommend Monk (or unarmed Ninja)/Deadly Fist Soulknife.

Iolaus
2014-03-11, 01:10 AM
But the monk and Soulknife with deadly fist have to much of the same, because of the flurry of blows Blade Skill and so forth.

Nihilarian
2014-03-11, 08:08 AM
But the monk and Soulknife with deadly fist have to much of the same, because of the flurry of blows Blade Skill and so forth.You can trade away the monk's Flurry of Blows. I'd go for Master of Many Styles.

Edit: also, all monks are qinggong monks.

Psyren
2014-03-11, 08:26 AM
Shigenjo Oracles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-tengu/shigenjo-oracle-tengu) also get a Ki Pool, although with very limited effects, and can nab Quivering Palm as a 'Revelation' at level 15. And the Final Revelation is fitting as well...are there any Mysteries that work though?

You can't go wrong with Battle, which gives you autoquicken on cure spells, the feat chain for a given maneuver for free, the weapon focus chain for a given weapon for free, and roll up to 3 times for initiative. If only the Shigenjo ki pool stacked with Ninja it would be perfect.