PDA

View Full Version : Countering Truename Magic?

roguemetal
2014-03-11, 12:41 AM
Truename Magic seems to have some serious rules issues, in that the spell effects aren't removable by any normal means, including the standard counters, dispels, or even antimagic field.

Do any counters exist against truename spells?
Particularly those with no saving throw?

Psyren
2014-03-11, 12:46 AM
When you say "truename spells" do you mean actual spells with the "T" component, or Utterances? They aren't the same thing.

Anyway, assuming you meant the latter - utterances are SLAs, so many of the same counters will help, e.g. SR, globe of invulnerability, attacking the Truenamer in melee etc. The Truenamer can get around all of these but doing so generally requires pumping the DC of their check quite high, and it's already pretty hard for them unless they are using an item familiar and similar shenanigans.

Not sure where you got your info, but utterances can be dispelled and suppressed just fine (again, they are SLAs.)

Erik Vale
2014-03-11, 06:53 AM
I will double check, but I'm certain they state they're immune to counter spelling etc.

The other method is just to have high CR. LA 0 templates that increase CR have the duel benefits of being useful and mocking true-namers horribly.

Chronos
2014-03-11, 08:12 AM
Utterances can't be counterspelled, but I'm pretty sure there's a mechanic in there somewhere for counterutterance. As in, an opponent can attempt an opposed True Speak check to make your utterance fizzle.

Cloud
2014-03-11, 08:38 AM
You can't literally counter spell an utterance, but...you shouldn't counter spell a spell either, it's really not a great mechanic, and you're better off preparing an attack to force a high concentration check. As has been said though, anything that works on a Spell-Like Ability will get an utterance, for example true speech doesn't function in an anti-magic field.

However utterances even when they can be used infinite times a day (Truenamers have problems using their utterances period without an item familiar or custom item crafting) are still weaker than anything a Warlock could do, which also has several SLA. I can't think of a single utterance that is problematic because it doesn't allow a save.

I'd advise you look up all the spells that don't allow saves or SR in D&D, there are a lot of them (and to get past SR there is Assay Spell Resistance anyway), and see if any utterance is actually that good. To be fair without knowing about the full power of casters, I guess the no save on reversed inertia surge might scare some DMs at level 1, *shrugs,* but it's frankly sad that's basically their best trick.