PDA

View Full Version : Master of the North Wind

Doc_Maynot
2014-03-11, 01:56 AM
So, has anyone seen the Master of the North Wind PrC from Dragon 314?
It's basically a Monk/Druid Class that is 9/10th spell progression, can grant wild shape to shapeshifter (or just normally advance it, except at first level), advances monk AC, unarmed damage, and movement speed progression, gives gaseous form as a wild shape option, and in the end grants the Air Domain.

It follows the rule that monk is a 4 level class and is easily accessible at level 9 since the only prereqs are 10 ranks of climb, Ki strike (Magic), the ability to turn into a flying creature (which both shapeshifters and normal druids can do at level 5), and being lawful neutral which is a given considering the two classes.

I'm just curious that I've never seen this be brought up. It's a pretty interesting class IMO. Sure, in the end druids lose 5 caster levels but it's still interesting to see one be able to get shapeshifting AND wildshape on top of other things.

Rebel7284
2014-03-11, 08:11 AM
So a druid taking this would lose 5 levels of spell progression... seems super bad there. A druid can wear a monk's belt and get most of the benefits with 0 level investment into monk.

Garagos
2014-03-11, 08:49 AM
I'd say if you're not playing with a high-op group, this prestige class would be just fine. But yea anyone optimizing a wizard, cleric, or druid is gonna put this guy to shame. The flavor definitely seems cool/interesting though.

Palanan
2014-03-11, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Doc_Maynot
So, has anyone seen the Master of the North Wind PrC from Dragon 314?

I've seen it and I like it, though I've never had a chance to run one. And you're right, it's hardly ever mentioned.

I don't have it in front of me now, but I think you can use the Shaping Focus feat from Pathfinder to fill in some of your wildshape progression, and Practiced Spellcaster could be another option. I've always liked the monk/druid idea, and I think the Master of the North Wind has fantastic potential for a solid, flavorful build.

The only thing I don't like is the 10 ranks of Climb, which is a major investment for a skill that you're not likely to use once you meet the other prerequisites. (You know, flying.) And of course, "not Druid 20" will turn off a lot of people. Even so, this is something I'd love to try.

dysprosium
2014-03-11, 08:54 AM
A possible reason why it has not been brought up: There are those in the Playground that do not like Dragon Magazines. I am not one of them though.

As for the class itself, it is definitely more of a flavor style class than an optimizer style. Losing Druid casting is seen as a major sin and the class needs to make up a lot for losing casting.

I get the idea of the class but the synergy just doesn't seem to be there for me. Monks and Druids have two different fighting styles (unarmed versus wild shape) so that usually means picking one over the other.