PDA

View Full Version : PF: An Unbreachable Vault?

tzar1990
2014-03-11, 01:57 AM
So, I'm thinking of including, in an upcoming campaign, a location inspired by This is Not a Place of Honor (http://www.damninteresting.com/this-place-is-not-a-place-of-honor/): a blog post about some of the ways they're thinking of marking and distinguishing nuclear waste sites for future civilizations.

Of course, this runs into a simple problem - magic. This is an E6 game, so I don't need to worry about teleportation, but there's still stuff that might be able to get through. I'm not worried about obscure stuff - the builders weren't perfect - but it should be secure against any single-classed level 6 character working on their own, at the very least. Cheapness is also an object -they hardly wanted to make it from expensive materials, since those would likely just get looted in the future.

So far, what I've got is as follows: Enormous, roughly hewn blocks of low-quality, dark stone on the surface level. Stone thorns project out of them, forming a veritable forest of irregular stone everywhere but paths leading to a warning (in multiple languages, but all archaic, requiring linguistic rolls to accurately decode). The actual prison/vault is below ground, and consists of a stone container, surrounded by a rough layer of the lowest-quality metal slag possible, surrounded in turn by more stone. This should prevent Earth Glide from getting a druid in, at least.

Can you guys think of anything else that might be a good idea for this location? So far, I can't think of anything that would stop incorporeal creatures from getting in (although players shouldn't have that ability at that level, the builders likely considered ghosts as a possible threat).

Also, my default plan for what's in there is a single piece of some terribly evil mind, which was broken and sealed away when it could not be killed. As such, there will likely be individuals influenced by other shards who want into this location, although they don't know where it is or the defences.

Any advice y'all can give would be great.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-11, 07:57 AM
Well, one could planer lock the whole area. Even if you want ethereal and entered, it wouldn't do any good, because you can't go physical to mess with stuff. Force walls will stop incorporeal forces, but are expensive. Coat them in lead so that they have total cover VS dispels.

The Prince of Cats
2014-03-11, 08:16 AM
I'd warn that my current party loves to use stone-shape, so watch your druids / clerics. A determined party would be able to make a passage right up to the metal wall.

If you are worried about ghosts, apply ghost touch to the metal layer (or a layer behind the metal) and it is suddenly a barrier to ghosts as though they were physical beings. Yes, the rules say that you can equip ghost touch armour and still be incorporeal, but it also says that the stuff is physical to anyone trying to attack it, so I'd rule (and so can you, as the DM) that it's solid to ghosts. It is a little expensive (a +3 enchantment is 9k on its own), but it makes it ghost-proof.

As the DM, you might also claim that the low-quality slag or the clay used just inside the metal layer has been mixed with ghost-salts (made from ectoplasm for 200gp per dose, mistakenly-listed as 20gp in d20pfsrd) for a cheaper option that does not require so much magic.

In the end, you could also go for dirty tricks like contact poisons (sleep if you are kind, con poisons otherwise) or diseases and teleport-traps for added irritation...

Lightlawbliss
2014-03-11, 09:24 AM
my favorite vault tricks is having a room with 3 teleportation circles. one goes to the vault, one it middle of nowhere in the ocean, and one to a volcano. Oh yes, and by "the vault", I mean the hidden underground room that has multiple entertwined mazes attached to it with the real vault at the end of one and fakes at the ends of the others.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-11, 10:01 AM
Assuming some creatures, if not casters, have teleportation in E6, prestidigitation traps that periodically pigment the area with random patterns will help protect against them as they can't get a fix on its appearance, leading to teleportation errors. Add a cycling silent image and it's pretty much impossible to teleport in.

Quertus
2014-03-13, 01:02 PM
EL 6...

Let's ignore "ghost possesses something powerful enough to break in" for the moment.

Fighter 6, Power Attack, 2-handed d12 damage weapon. Half Orc, 20 Str, Belt/whatever of Str +2. Sounds perfectly normal, actually.

Total Strength bonus: +6. 2-handed strength damage: +9. Max damage: 21.

Even Adamantine, with Hardness 20, is not enough to stop the truly determined vault breaker from literally breaking in.

With 2-handed P-Att giving a +12, and specialization giving another +2, you're up to max damage 35 without even really trying, and without leaving the core books.

So I don't think the "lowest bidder" will stop the "man possessed", for any given EL6 single-classed foe.

Gwaednerth
2014-03-13, 01:45 PM
Its an ancient vault, so it should contain diseases that most people are no longer immune to. Traps are ever popular. It aint exactly cheap but there is nobody stupid enough to take on a prismatic wall (not even a the party barbarian)