PDA

View Full Version : How bad of a hurting am I asking for with this idea?

blelliot
2014-03-11, 03:12 AM
For a new world I'm working on currently (located here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17153049#post17153049)) I came up with an idea for an arcane spellcaster that turns into a dragon (sort of) over the course of twenty levels. The idea is to use the sorcerer chassis, minus the familiar and at every level, the character would gain a specific draconic feat. There is a certain order the class will gain access to the feats, I just haven't figured out which order to go into (other than Draconi Heritage at 1st, Dragon Lineage at 3rd, and Draconic Legacy at 5th. also adding a SR ability at 13th level, finally ending at 20th with the draconic template) Now, I'm not worried about tiers and stuff, but does this idea sound overpowered? Please be honest, but not ignorant. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Godskook
2014-03-11, 03:19 AM
Look at the Dragonfire Adept and ask yourself: "What does this not give me that I actually *NEED* for this concept". Personally, I suspect nothing, but idk, you might actually want some of the other stuff.

Doc_Maynot
2014-03-11, 03:24 AM
Well Dragonblooded Sorcerer substitution levels do something like that.

lose craft and profession, gain UMD
1st level: Arcane Insight (+2 knowledge: arcana), Dragon Heritage (the feat), lose familiar
4th level: Arcane Insight, Spell-Like Ability (turn spell slots into SLA)
7th level: Arcane Insight, Bonus Spells Known

You can probably start with that and dragon devotee as a chassis for what you plan to do.

JBarca
2014-03-11, 09:02 AM
Dragon 339 has an Epic PrC that turns you into a dragon over the course of 10 levels. It's called Athasian Dragon and has some... interesting entry requirements (namely sacrificing 1,000 HD of living creatures in a ritual). It's not great, but it is cool.
You could start there for what a progression might look like, for actually becoming a dragon.

Anxe
2014-03-11, 09:19 AM
Why not a bloodline or a Dragon Disciple? Your idea seems fine, I'm just not getting why you're avoiding bloodlines.

Cog
2014-03-11, 10:02 AM
Just trading your familiar for a feat every level is not nearly even - you can get the familiar back with a single feat.

Nightraiderx
2014-03-11, 10:29 AM
It may not be even, but lets face it: sorcerer is bare bones for any class features to begin with. Dragonfire adept is a good place to look at, giving passive bonuses, also there is a prestiege class I think it's called dragonheart mage, gives a damage boost to draconic breath line and bonus feats. I would make class features improve on existing draconic feats (extended range with draconic senses, knowledge devotion bonus feat with draconic knowledge) so forth and so on.

Segev
2014-03-11, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I'd look at putting Sorcerer, Dragonfire Adept, and Dragon Disciple together in some combination of class features and abilities to achieve your goal.

Chronos
2014-03-11, 01:48 PM
It may not be even, but lets face it: sorcerer is bare bones for any class features to begin with.
They have more class features than any class but the wizard, cleric, or druid. Those four classes have an entire section of the book, and the largest section at that, just for listing their class features.

Cog
2014-03-11, 03:14 PM
They have more class features than any class but the wizard, cleric, or druid. Those four classes have an entire section of the book, and the largest section at that, just for listing their class features.
This.

Keep the Sor/Wiz list, throttle them to Bard spell progression with 3/4 BAB, and then give them some class features. Some free draconic feats (but not every level), and then perhaps stat boosts and general utility stuff in line with, say, Dragon Disciple.

blelliot
2014-03-11, 05:02 PM
I thank you all for your responses, but upon further review (and a nap lol) I've decided that the dragonfire adept will work. Soo my final list of PC classes is: barbarian, bard, dragonfire adept, dragon shaman; favored soul, fighter, ranger, rogue, scout; and sorcerer. Why the favored soul and sorcerer? Because this world is populated with the descendants of dragons. Those two classes represent the magic that flows through the veins of dragons. The dfa and ds will represent what is taught to the races by their dragon ancestors and passed down from generation to generation. Thanks again everyone!

Zweisteine
2014-03-11, 06:00 PM
The Dragon Devotee PrC gives you the Draconic template over 5 levels, in addition to a few levels of sorcerer casting.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-11, 10:34 PM
Dragon fire adept is super fun. I went butthead and wore heavy armor with a tower shield. Just spam breath attack and crank out your con. Super fun and easy low level.

Godskook
2014-03-12, 12:45 AM
I thank you all for your responses, but upon further review (and a nap lol) I've decided that the dragonfire adept will work.

You're welcome. :smallsmile: