PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with Warforged treant backstory?

DizzyD
2014-03-11, 08:41 AM
Its been a few years since I've posted anything on this site cause I have not been gaming much. Recently, I've been invited to an online game and am super excited to get to playing again. Its a 4e game in a homebrewed world. The DM says anything goes as long as the backstory makes sense. That's where I'm having trouble.
I want to do a Warforged Warden. I had this crazy idea a few years back and even had a friend of mine draw out a pretty awesome portrait(that I need to dig up). Its a warforged but he is made from completely natural components. Think Mechanical Treant. I just need to come up with a decent backstory. Before it actually had to make sense, He was created by a powerful druid to watch over an area when the druid died. But in that senario there is no reason why he would leave...

So, now I'm thinking he was created by a druid, but at the time was not considered worthy and now has to prove himself. I don't know. I feel like its an awesome idea but honestly the backstory is my weak point. Can you help a experienced newb out?

Yora
2014-03-11, 08:44 AM
What about a warforged creator who needed some kind of wildnerness scout? To optimize him for forest performance, it was build entirely out of wood and vines to make it lighter, stealthier, and harder to detect.

Madeiner
2014-03-11, 05:19 PM
Mh how about a druid built the warforged, and just before completing it, he died. The warforged knows it was built to protect nature, but also has no idea how, because his master died before he could taught much. Also, he still feels incomplete, because he feels the druid didnt have time to finish him up, and his now searching for a way to complete himself.
The druid managed to imprint him with the thought to protect nature, but the young warforged didn't understand he had to watch THAT area; just nature in general. And is probably now wondering what IS nature and what ISN'T, and it is much difficult for him to distinguish.

Fayd
2014-03-11, 06:19 PM
Constructed by a powerful druid and charged with the protection of a glade of special trees, the Warden has carried out this duty for many long centuries. The druid, though powerful, was also shortsighted; nature is not static, and nature changes. There was nothing the Warden could do as the forest around them slowly became swamp and then in turn became desert. When, finally, the last tree of their glade had died and rotted away, the Warden was left with a dilemma: How to fulfill their command to protect these special trees? Determining that indeed some seeds had blown away on the wind, they set out to find the descendents of the original grove, gather seeds, and replant his grove.

Or the Warden sets out to ensure that nature will never again change. Or to seek revenge on the race/people that had caused the region's character to so greatly change.

There's plenty of motivation possible here.

Deremir
2014-03-11, 10:18 PM
theres always the "it was an accident" method. a warforge engine/anvil/creator machine thing was being taken through a forest when a big storm hit, in the comotion the machine was accidentally turned on and a tree (ironwood tree?) fell into it. the machine automatically got to work using the newly supplied tree as materials, creating you by accident.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-11, 11:30 PM
Aren't warforged made partly out of wood anyway? Maybe this one was part of a project to make a mostly ironwood design to mitigate the vulnerability to rust.

Also, I found this picture when googling "warforged". It fits with the nature theme, and could serve as a backup portrait.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100506214127/dungeons/images/0/03/Bees_warforged.jpg

DizzyD
2014-03-12, 11:50 AM
All of these are very good ideas. I think I should be able to combined s few elements into a working back story.

I really like the idea of having him incomplete and always searching to be Finished. That would be great motivation for adventuring.

I also like the idea of him searching for saplings from the area he was supposed to protect.

Both of these are great reasons to adventure separately. I'm not sure I can combined them though. I will have to choose 1 I guess.