PDA

View Full Version : Name That Creature

Lhurgyof
2014-03-11, 11:13 AM
There's a certain monster I remember seeing, but I can't remember its name (and thusly can't find it).

Its an undead centaur-like monster that has its entrails hanging out and a large mouth. It was a monster in AD&D if that helps. It was immune to non-magic weapons I believe. Anybody know the monster I'm thinking of? Google hasn't been helpfull. :smallconfused:

Edit: it had an aura of death and their origin is disputed. Centaurs claim there's no connection while others think they were evil centaurs that fled to the coast.

sakuuya
2014-03-11, 12:04 PM
I can't find the picture you're referring to, and I have zero experience with AD&D. That said, what you're describing kinda sounds like a nuckalavee? Mythologically, they have gaping mouths and transparent skin (which could translate to entrails hanging out of their mouths, I guess), and after I did some digging, I found them in the Monstrous Compendium Mystara Appendix as an undead creature with a death aura and fluff like what you mentioned.

Lhurgyof
2014-03-11, 11:00 PM
I can't find the picture you're referring to, and I have zero experience with AD&D. That said, what you're describing kinda sounds like a nuckalavee? Mythologically, they have gaping mouths and transparent skin (which could translate to entrails hanging out of their mouths, I guess), and after I did some digging, I found them in the Monstrous Compendium Mystara Appendix as an undead creature with a death aura and fluff like what you mentioned.

Yes! That would be it, thank you.

Do you happen to know much about them? They regenerate in water, are immune to mundane weapons, and have a death aura, but I have forgotten the specific fluff and stats.

Evo_Kaer
2014-03-12, 03:08 AM
I found this, hope it helps:

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/nuckalav.php

Lhurgyof
2014-03-13, 10:00 PM
I found this, hope it helps:

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/nuckalav.php

Hmm, so they're not undead? Weird.

So what's going on in our campaign is that there's a city lead by undead to the north that wants to make peaceful contact with the city of the humans, and the PC's have to investigate to make sure everything's kosher.

I want this guy to be the over-zealous guard captain looking for a promotion. I'm thinking of having a murder of a big-league vampire happen in the city. The nukalavee will have been the culprit, and while he "investigates" he'll find evidence of the PC's having done it. Eventually if they figure it out they'll have to confront him.