PDA

View Full Version : Bard's Offhand 3.5

Teapot Salty
2014-03-11, 10:10 PM
Hey guys, so I recently fell in love with the bard. I want to make one, but I'm wondering what to do with it's off hand. What I have so far is (core only):

Human Bard:
Str: 14
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 6
Cha: 16

Hide: 4
Move Silently: 4
Preform (wind instrument):4
Tumble: 4
Escape Artist: 4
Preform (vocals): 4
(Not sure what to do with the last 4, help there would be awesome)

No feats yet.

Weapons:
Longsword
Crossbow (not sure if light or heavy)

And as always, go nuts.

Darkweave31
2014-03-11, 10:21 PM
Cast spells...

IIRC there is a rule that you need a hand free for spells with a somatic component

but yeah, use your longsword and switch grips between one-handed and two-handed (free action) depending on when you need to cast spells

Grab a dagger as a backup weapon/tool/cool throwing knife to dramatically finish off an enemy

KillianHawkeye
2014-03-11, 10:25 PM
I believe Bards are the only core class that gets whip proficiency....... :smallwink:

Sir Chuckles
2014-03-11, 10:25 PM
Also:
Light Crossbow.
So that reloading isn't a full round action.

Ziegander
2014-03-11, 10:27 PM
Cast spells...

IIRC there is a rule that you need a hand free for spells with a somatic component

but yeah, use your longsword and switch grips between one-handed and two-handed (free action) depending on when you need to cast spells

I LOVE doing this. I know it's suboptimal from a raw power standpoint, but having a free hand, even on a non-caster, is just so damn useful. On a Bard you can do even more with that free hand.

Get a trumpet or horn or bugle or something to use with Inspire Courage and hang it around your neck. You can blow on it during combat with one hand and still longsword with the other. You can two hand the Longsword when you need more damage (because, honestly, after a while those 2.5 average points of damage you're trading stop mattering; at least if you have the Strength bonus for it), or you can cast spells while still holding your weapon. Hold the charge on touch spells, too. Have fun with it.

Teapot Salty
2014-03-11, 10:57 PM
I LOVE doing this. I know it's suboptimal from a raw power standpoint, but having a free hand, even on a non-caster, is just so damn useful. On a Bard you can do even more with that free hand.

Get a trumpet or horn or bugle or something to use with Inspire Courage and hang it around your neck. You can blow on it during combat with one hand and still longsword with the other. You can two hand the Longsword when you need more damage (because, honestly, after a while those 2.5 average points of damage you're trading stop mattering; at least if you have the Strength bonus for it), or you can cast spells while still holding your weapon. Hold the charge on touch spells, too. Have fun with it.
What about just singing as opposed to playing an instrument?

Darkweave31
2014-03-11, 11:00 PM
What about just singing as opposed to playing an instrument?

Because horns are cool.

Teapot Salty
2014-03-11, 11:17 PM
Because horns are cool.
Is there a mechanical difference though? And also, ocarinas are best.

Ziegander
2014-03-11, 11:35 PM
Is there a mechanical difference though? And also, ocarinas are best.

Horns increase the bonuses vs Fear and to weapon damage rolls by 1 when played (CAdv pg 126). The entire bonus lasts only 1 round after the Bard stops performing, but since it's so easy to grab it and blow each round, it's not a huge issue.

Darkweave31
2014-03-11, 11:47 PM
That, and nothing says leader like a good warhorn.

Sir Chuckles
2014-03-12, 12:02 AM
If you really want to go full leader, you're gonna need Leadership!
As for the whole playing with one hand thing, here's a story of a Bard from the guy I quote in my sig:

We were fighting a group of slavers to free their captives, as two of them were our new, not-dead party members. Going full roleplay, Poo Bucket (actual name), nonchalantly walked right past them, giving the guards the middle finger. When demanding to know who he was, he cast blindness on one, did a little dance, and began to walk away.
This was all my opening to cast Shatter on the cage.

Now, Mr. Bucket got tackled by the two guards while I fought the other three with the help of one of our new "party members", who, thankfully, was a Druid with natural weapons.
Mr. Bucket was grappled, pinned, handcuffed, and left on the floor. He stood up, and proceeded to whistle to inspire courage. The guards were not dumb, they went back over to him and Sovereign Glue'd his mouth shut.

So he began tap dancing to use Fascinate/Suggestion. And then I Wizard'd the guards.

The moral of the story is:
Rule of cool, gosh darn it.
You have 16 Charisma and the lung capacity near that of an Olympic swimmer, AND no rules on "Suffocation via singing/horn-playing for too long".