PDA

View Full Version : would you rather fight a horde of demons or gelatinous cubes

lolthfollower
2014-03-11, 10:55 PM
just curious because i was playing d&d and the DM told us that gelatinous cubes were coming out of secret doors but ahead was a horde of demons gaurding 3 chests.

Haruki-kun
2014-03-11, 11:40 PM
If I'm a magic user, the cubes. If not, the demons.

lolthfollower
2014-03-12, 12:11 AM
If I'm a magic user, the cubes. If not, the demons.

the party consisted of a human cleric wth only cantrips left, a dwarven barbarian and a rogue that couldn't seem to find traps

Slipperychicken
2014-03-12, 10:09 PM
Cubes are hungry speedbumps. If you aren't forced to fight in cramped quarters with no hope of escape, there's no reason to ever be hit by a gelatinous cube (i.e. just kite them). And if your party simply saunters down hallways while failing DC 15 spot checks, then they probably won't last long anyway.

just curious because i was playing d&d and the DM told us that gelatinous cubes were coming out of secret doors but ahead was a horde of demons gaurding 3 chests.

Obviously, you need to make the demons fight the cubes.

Haruki-kun
2014-03-13, 12:25 AM
the party consisted of a human cleric wth only cantrips left, a dwarven barbarian and a rogue that couldn't seem to find traps

Then demons. <.<

Ansem
2014-03-13, 03:31 AM
I rather fight a swarm of Tarrasques than Gelatinous Cubes.....

Joe the Rat
2014-03-13, 06:55 AM
I have a few questions:
1) Edition and Level: makes a big difference in survivability and immunities.

2) What Type of demons? Are we talking I-III, or IV+, or some of the "lesser" sort? Big Demons are more of an issue, but could also be negotiated with (Type IVs are all over that sort of action). Dretches? steamroller them.

3) How are the GCs getting through secret doors? Is it just "push open," was there a mechanism, or did the party leave them(?!) open behind them? If they're opening doors, you've got something a bit more intelligent than the usual Dungeon Roomba.

Obviously, you need to make the demons fight the cubes.

Yes, that's the way to do it.

Eldan
2014-03-13, 07:02 AM
Cubes. Cubes are not intelligent, they are not malicious, they are not creative. Even if they get you, they will just eat you. It will be over quickly.

Lorsa
2014-03-13, 07:20 AM
Fight both and get more XP!

Alternatively, fight the demons because they seem to have some treasure whereas the cubes just have slime...

Drynwyn
2014-03-13, 07:35 AM
Slime that's filled with the enchanted items of those it has digested.

The Glyphstone
2014-03-13, 08:13 AM
Gelatinous cubes can be defeated by briskly walking in the other direction. Demons cannot. This is an easy decision.

Rabidmuskrat
2014-03-13, 08:18 AM
Walking briskly in the other direction means you fight demons.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-13, 09:09 AM
Gelatinous cubes can be defeated by briskly walking in the other direction while throwing rocks at them. Demons cannot. This is an easy decision.

Fixed that for 'ya.

lolthfollower
2014-03-13, 09:13 AM
3) How are the GCs getting through secret doors? Is it just "push open," was there a mechanism, or did the party leave them(?!) open behind them? If they're opening doors, you've got something a bit more intelligent than the usual Dungeon Roomba.

thats a good point. i'll have to check with the dm on that

Fabletop
2014-03-13, 01:17 PM
Cubes can be burned with normal fire.

Demons can't.

Nuff said.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-13, 01:25 PM
Cubes can be burned with normal fire.

Demons can't.

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/2491300.jpg