PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite non-magical item from D&D?

gadren
2014-03-11, 11:06 PM
Hey everyone! Tell me your favorite non-magical items from D&D 3.0/3.5/PF! Why are they your favorite?

My two favorite are:

The tanglefoot bag, because it is a great way of keeping enemies from running away at low levels.

The holy water sprayer from the 3e Arms and Equipment Guide, because I just think the idea of going into a dungeon, and spritzing undead with a waterbottle like they are a bad cat or something just makes me giggle. "Bad zombie! Bad!"

EDIT: Also, please say what books the items are from so other people can check them out!

The-Mage-King
2014-03-11, 11:12 PM
Shapesand and Aboleth Mucus.

The first is incredibly versatile for being non-magic, and the second is just plain dirty to use.

Ruethgar
2014-03-11, 11:39 PM
No longer an item per se, but I made a race from a Create Device Tree Staff that was loads of fun for the great ability to customize them with racial spells you want to fit a theme(or just maim and murder).

Edit: Quintessential Druid and Ravenloft Legacy of Blood

Windstorm
2014-03-11, 11:51 PM
Sashling from races of the wild. p170.

easy to keep stuff on your person unnoticed, and has saved me no end of grief in multiple campaigns. "its just a fashion item!" :smallwink:

Crake
2014-03-12, 12:16 AM
Fake tooth with hidden compartment. From complete adventurer iirc, though might be complete scoundrel

Afgncaap5
2014-03-12, 02:55 AM
Rust Cube. Definitely Rust Cube.

And in the same family of non-magic items... the Eggshell Dust Grenade.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-12, 03:15 AM
Shapesand (Sandstorm) is definitely one of the best. Also seconding the Eggshell Dust Grenade (OA).

dethkruzer
2014-03-12, 03:19 AM
Basically everything from Complete Scoundrel, and the potion bladder from DotU.

NevinPL
2014-03-12, 03:22 AM
Gems from DMG (better alternative to tons of gold, platinum coins).
Marbles from AE (fun, fun, fun :D).
Potion Belt from FRCS (all my players, and almost all NPC's have them).
Sunrods from PG (non flammable\methane igniting, and "atmospheric" replacement for torches, lamps).
And more.

BWR
2014-03-12, 03:40 AM
The entire list of stuff from Complete Thief's Handbook. Most of it was adapted in Complete Scoundrel.

ArcaneGlyph
2014-03-12, 08:19 AM
Collapsible pole.

Mutazoia
2014-03-12, 08:56 AM
A small silver mirror.

You can use it to look under doors to see what's waiting on the other side.
You can use it to reflect gaze attacks
You can use it to signal others from a distance (indoors or out)
You can use it to angle a beam of light (sun beam) into a darkened area
Place one at the bottom of a scroll case, cast Continual Light on a piece of quartz, stuff the quartz in the case on top of the mirror and presto, you have a flash light. (Use a scroll case with a lid so you can "turn off" the light when necessary).
Sharpen one edge and you have a handy emergency knife. (Fit it into a cheap wooden frame to conceal the sharpened edge and prevent you from slicing open your back pack.)
Use the old Glasssee spell on the reverse side and you can have mirrored sunglasses (that also reflect gaze attacks).

I'm sure I'll remember more uses upon *puts on mirrored glasses* further reflection....

Shining Wrath
2014-03-12, 09:13 AM
A small silver mirror.

... SNIP ...

I'm sure I'll remember more uses upon *puts on mirrored glasses* further reflection....

I saw what you did there.

Togo
2014-03-12, 09:24 AM
Empty barrel.

Because technically when that overpowered rocket-tag magical attack comes at you, it hits the barrel, not the guy hiding inside...

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 09:29 AM
Flour
Water

Cake

grarrrg
2014-03-12, 09:36 AM
A small silver mirror.

... SNIP ...

I saw what you did there.

I do believe you spelled
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
wrong.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-12, 10:06 AM
I really like the hang-glider from A&EG. There are so few options for "mundane" flight (which don't involve getting a demon to stitch wings to one's back) that it's refreshing to see. Also, its combination of strengths and weaknesses make it feel very balanced relative to other flight options.

HaikenEdge
2014-03-12, 10:13 AM
Aboleth Mucus.

Because, when your DM pits your 1st level character against a Wyvern, it might be your only win condition.

LTwerewolf
2014-03-12, 10:15 AM
Dust grenades from OA.

Telonius
2014-03-12, 10:52 AM
One square yard of linen or silk (PHB, p. 112). Most useful items in the entire game.

Rijan_Sai
2014-03-12, 11:53 AM
Shapesand (Sandstorm) is definitely one of the best. Also seconding the Eggshell Dust Grenade (OA).
Out of curiosity, how many EDGs could you get from 1 jar of Ss? (Hey, it's a non-magical, non-masterwork item, and you're really only shaping the shell, while "breaking down" the grains of sand inside to the consistancy of dust...)

A small silver mirror.
*snip the many fun ideas for focus*
Use the old Glasssee spell on the reverse side and you can have mirrored sunglasses (that also reflect gaze attacks).

I've often wondered if something like that might work...

Flour
Water

Cake
LIES!

Also, seconding (thirding? fourthing?) Shapesand. So many uses, it's pretty much everthing here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#adventuringGear) and here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolsAndSkillKits), several things here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear), (potentially) anything here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear), and (according to some interpretations) many things here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#specialSubstancesAndItems).

Depending on how much you have and can control, it's your whole (mundane) kit in a bottle!

Stoneback
2014-03-12, 12:08 PM
Hard rubber ball, about the size of a tennis ball. Dungeoneer's best friend.

Rejusu
2014-03-12, 12:19 PM
10ft pole, PHB. If you can't find a use for one in a given campaign you're not trying.

Tetraplex
2014-03-12, 12:38 PM
For me personally, it's
Silver Mirrors
Rubber Balls (See above lol)
Liquid Sunlight (Alchemical, concealable, never runs out and shed light like a torch? And you want me to use this as a [I]weapon[I], WotC?)
*Flasks of acid. Who needs lockpicks, etc?
Basically all alchemical items are crazy versatile.

But one of my current group, when building his first character, discovered Eggshell Dust Grenades. His rogue is now walking around with an entire Haversack pocket full of them at all times he loves them so much. Daggers, too. He's come up with several creative uses for daggers. I'm rather proud of myself for showing them how freeform item use can be.

Thiyr
2014-03-12, 12:41 PM
The contents of the Type I Indespensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8235865#post8235865), By Shax.

Because when you need to be prepared for anything, Shax can help.

Hey, shameless advertisement of someone else's stuff is still totally legitimate.

CSeiberlin
2014-03-12, 01:21 PM
Block & Tackle.

It's boring but I've seen it get parties past more obstacles and\or traps, allow them to haul away more lewt, and help reduce 'dens of evil' to rubble a surprising number of times.

Amateurs stop with a 10' foot pole, professionals pack a block & tackle.

Alanto
2014-03-12, 04:11 PM
Caltrops, definitely. Stop charges, irritate enemies, and (as our Rogue decided to test last session) handy Rust Monster bait.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-12, 05:00 PM
Spell component pouch.
An item so important to spell casters that it requires an entire feat to replace.
All for the low cost of 5 gold.

Mule + Saddle (Pack)
A non-magical item which holds almost the same amount as a Bag of Holding Type 1 for about 1/190 of the cost (2500 vs 13 gp).

Peasant's outfit.
When you spent every gold piece on that fancy sword of yours and you make sure you aren't naked (1 sp). Clerics, there are times when you aren't wearing armor you know...

Bedroll.
Because you don't always have access to an Inn... or can't afford a 1/2 star one (2 sp vs 1 sp).

Guard dog / attack dog.
Because an attack dog can kill goblins most of the time, why buy a magic weapon when you can buy 40 of these non-magical items (1000 vs 25 gp).

Cart.
Because the barbarian wants to flex his muscles and rage while the party is worn out. Also doubles as a massive improvised weapon (15 gp).

All of the above are from PHB.

Edit: Thanks Shining Wrath! I totally missed the saddle portion.

roguemetal
2014-03-12, 05:07 PM
Shapesand - Easily the most versatile (reusable) item in D&D. Chaos flask is technically better, but is one time use.

Chaos Flask - Exchangeable for any mundane item, including poisons, with almost no limitations for fairly cheap. Breaking the economy is always a good investment.

Shining Wrath
2014-03-12, 05:08 PM
I'd argue that Tanglefoot bags, alchemist fire, and that ilk, are magical, because in a D&D world they certainly aren't chemistry.

Let me put in a word for the humble adamantine dagger. A wonderful lock pick, a great way to deal with nasty engulfing monsters, and in a pinch you can tunnel through solid rock with them - slowly.

Let me second the vote for the mule, although the carrying capacity is technically zero until you add a saddle, which ups the cost considerably.

Rejusu
2014-03-12, 06:44 PM
Well considering that by RAW you need to be a spellcaster to craft alchemical items you could make a case that they are (at least in some way) magical. However they all function within an AMF so...

gadren
2014-03-13, 12:59 AM
Well considering that by RAW you need to be a spellcaster to craft alchemical items you could make a case that they are (at least in some way) magical. However they all function within an AMF so...
Interesting. I never noticed that before. I guess, technically, an artifcer can't create alchemical items then, which is kind of silly.

I also note that Pathfinder did away with that stipulation.

These have all been great suggestions. Anyone got more?

Stoneback
2014-03-13, 06:15 AM
Since when are pits and gaps in D&D less than 10' across? I would say that real expert dungeoneers would carry poles that are 11' long at the very least.

Another one someone mentioned: a cart and mule. If you really wanna be prepared, or need to haul the odd jade idol back to town, saddlebags just won't cut it.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-13, 07:17 AM
Another one someone mentioned: a cart and mule. If you really wanna be prepared, or need to haul the odd jade idol back to town, saddlebags just won't cut it.

Don't forget the crowbar. Because if it's bolted down that just means it's probably worth more!

Hyena
2014-03-13, 07:21 AM
Gnomish quickrazor. Because come on, this is the most awesome weapon in DnD.

gadren
2014-03-13, 09:42 AM
Gnomish quickrazor. Because come on, this is the most awesome weapon in DnD.

From which book?

grarrrg
2014-03-13, 09:42 AM
One square yard of linen or silk (PHB, p. 112). Most useful items in the entire game.

That item really comes into its own when you're hitchhiking in a Spelljammer setting though...

Shining Wrath
2014-03-13, 10:08 AM
In honor of the late great Douglas Adams, I suggest: a towel.

What? Why is everyone looking at me funny?

There's also something to be said for the humble iron spike. Helps with climbing; slows down Rust Monsters; use it to keep the door shut while you're resting in a dungeon room.

grarrrg
2014-03-13, 10:21 AM
In honor of the late great Douglas Adams, I suggest: a towel.

What? Why is everyone looking at me funny?

:smallconfused:
Look at the post directly above yours.
Link (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DontExplainTheJoke)

Dalebert
2014-03-13, 10:33 AM
Bandolier in PF are pretty awesome just because. They're frackin' bandoliers!

gadren
2014-03-13, 10:47 PM
Bandolier in PF are pretty awesome just because. They're frackin' bandoliers!
Makes me think of 90's comic books: http://i.imgur.com/f9Uy6.jpg
You're not a 90's comic book artist by any chance, eh?

Erik Vale
2014-03-14, 12:35 AM
Shapesand. Because it's all items for the low low price of 100gp/12lb

CockroachTeaParty
2014-03-14, 12:49 AM
So many pouches... Why....?

grarrrg
2014-03-14, 09:38 AM

CockroachTeaParty, meet Rob Liefeld-style
Rob Liefeld-style, meet CockroachTeaParty

Really, the MASSIVE number of pouches/bandoliers/etc... is the LEAST of his problems.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-14, 12:27 PM

Yeah, those outfits are like, 3 steps away from being space marine armor.

gadren
2014-03-14, 02:09 PM
Note to self: Make post in home brew section on the Liefield armor enchantment.

Zetapup
2014-03-14, 03:26 PM
From which book?

The gnomish quickrazor is an exotic weapon from Races of Stone which is great because it can be drawn and sheathed as a free action. Combining this with iaijutsu focus on a factotum is pretty awesome.

I'm going to second the people saying shapesand. One of the most versatile items and very cost effective.

gadren
2014-03-15, 03:55 PM
I'm going to second the people saying shapesand. One of the most versatile items and very cost effective.

I think at this point its less of a second and more of a twelfth. ;-P

ben-zayb
2014-03-15, 06:59 PM
No mention of Rod of Ropes (Complete Scoundrel) yet?

YossarianLives
2014-03-15, 07:06 PM
Don't know why but I've always loved falchions.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-15, 07:29 PM
Don't know why but I've always loved falchions.

I still find it strange that curved blades in dnd get a critical threat range of like 18-20/x3, even when they're otherwise identical to their non-curved counterparts.

Honest Tiefling
2014-03-15, 07:54 PM
Don't forget the crowbar. Because if it's bolted down that just means it's probably worth more!

I actually was going to suggest that rope, chains, sacks and crowbars can come in handy quite often. One of my players always starts with a crowbar.

The Trickster
2014-03-15, 08:06 PM
Spell component pouch. Access to all kinda of random stuff.

Or chalk. I've used chalk for all kinds of things, from writing messages to dusting an area in a dungeon to remind myself that I had been there.

Thiyr
2014-03-15, 08:25 PM
No mention of Rod of Ropes (Complete Scoundrel) yet?

Probably because it's a magic item.

ben-zayb
2014-03-15, 08:44 PM
Probably because it's a magic item.It has a very mundane feel, though, so apparently I thought it was mundane. *shrugs*

Thiyr
2014-03-15, 09:36 PM
It has a very mundane feel, though, so apparently I thought it was mundane. *shrugs*

S'okay, I don't blame you. It's basically the traditional comic book grappling gun, and I'm quite the fan of it personally. But like most cool things in the game, it comes back to the magics. Alas.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-15, 10:20 PM
S'okay, I don't blame you. It's basically the traditional comic book grappling gun, and I'm quite the fan of it personally. But like most cool things in the game, it comes back to the magics. Alas.

Grapple Gun + Hang Glider + Tall building = Flight?

Vogonjeltz
2014-03-15, 11:31 PM
Masterwork artisan tools, useful for almost every build

ben-zayb
2014-03-16, 12:32 AM
Ok, probably not generally useful, but an Elvencraft Riverine Longbow (300gp + 5000gp/lb + Masterwork Cost) would be awesome. Basically a mundane nigh-indestructible "wall of force" for a versatile weapon.

Thiyr
2014-03-16, 12:47 AM
Grapple Gun + Hang Glider + Tall building = Flight?

Assuming you rule the glider to work like Raptorans and the like pre-flight...kinda? Might be hard to use the rod of ropes to get enough consistent lift if there's not enough building, though.

And the riverine longbow is interesting. It works, for some reason the idea of a flexible wall of force (It would have to be in order to work as a bow) just itches my brain...

gadren
2014-03-16, 01:34 AM
Ok, probably not generally useful, but an Elvencraft Riverine Longbow (300gp + 5000gp/lb + Masterwork Cost) would be awesome. Basically a mundane nigh-indestructible "wall of force" for a versatile weapon.

What is Riverine from?

Slipperychicken
2014-03-16, 01:37 AM
What is Riverine from?

Stormwrack. People sometimes refer to the book as "It's Wet Outside".

Riverine is essentially items made out of forcewall, with water sandwiched between the forcewalls. Almost nothing, short of a disintegrate spell or Disjunction, can destroy a Riverine item.

Personally, my favorite thing to do with riverine (idea stolen from Darrin IIRC) is to make a +1 Flying Sizing Riverine Gauntlet. With ~11,000 gold, and you've suddenly got a flying invincible hand made of magical force which follows your orders and can grow or shrink to any size you can imagine.

gadren
2014-03-16, 01:53 AM
Stormwrack. People sometimes refer to the book as "It's Wet Outside".

Riverine is essentially items made out of forcewall, with water sandwiched between the forcewalls. Almost nothing, short of a disintegrate spell or Disjunction, can destroy a Riverine item.

Personally, my favorite thing to do with riverine (idea stolen from Darrin IIRC) is to make a +1 Flying Sizing Riverine Gauntlet. With ~11,000 gold, and you've suddenly got a flying invincible hand made of magical force which follows your orders and can grow or shrink to any size you can imagine.

And its not a magic item? You could take it into an anti-magic field and it'd work just fine?

TuggyNE
2014-03-16, 02:22 AM
And its not a magic item? You could take it into an anti-magic field and it'd work just fine?

It's magic like wall of force, so yeah, it's not dispellable and it's not suppressible by AMFs.

gadren
2014-03-16, 03:37 AM
It's magic like wall of force, so yeah, it's not dispellable and it's not suppressible by AMFs.

Well a Wall of Force can still be dispelled by M's Disjunction. So it is magical, though you are right about it standing up to an AMF and lesser dispels.

Sith_Happens
2014-03-16, 04:29 AM
I'd argue that Tanglefoot bags, alchemist fire, and that ilk, are magical, because in a D&D world they certainly aren't chemistry.

There's a line tucked away in the Planes section of the DMG stating that matter on the Material Plane is made of the classical elements. So D&D chemistry is pretty much anything goes.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-16, 04:30 AM

The weapon itself would be fine. The magic item enhancements would still be suppressed.

Shinken
2014-03-16, 04:34 AM
I like swords.