PDA

View Full Version : how do?

Shadowscale
2014-03-12, 01:26 AM
A wizard in full plate who casts fiereball type spells and specializes in enchanting their weapon.
I don't think spellsword is exactly this as it's abilities are just odd...

bekeleven
2014-03-12, 01:34 AM
Probably Duskblade from PHB2 or Psychic Warrior if you're not committed to magic. If you want a more complicated build, consider Wizard/Abjurant Champion/Eldritch Knight with some sprinkling of Fighter, Runesmith, or what have you.

Or for kicks... try a Fighter 1/Wizard X who uses the Still Spell metamagic on every spell and walks around in full plate. You'd only be one spell level behind the sorcerers!

Immabozo
2014-03-12, 01:43 AM
A Psion ignores ASF from the full plate, if I remember correctly, there is a fireball-like power from CPsi. Then just put the skilled enchantment on your weapons (treats you as if you had 3/4 BAB with that weapon).

You will also have lots of other powers to use.

Shadowscale
2014-03-12, 01:55 AM
I really wanted an arcane warrior in full plate who uses evocation and enchanting who maxes intelligence and strength. Seen in a lot of rp settings but not sure how to go about building.

Stoneback
2014-03-12, 02:20 AM
Why would you wear armor if you can already cast 3rd-level spells?

Consider: a level 7 Cleric can do that all that. Except throw the fireball. Clerics only get good spells.

Tokiko Mima
2014-03-12, 02:21 AM
The easiest way to pull this off is to make the armor a really convincing illusion. With a simple mage armor spell it would be tough to interact with and become entitled to a Will save.

Techwarrior
2014-03-12, 02:34 AM
Honestly, play a Warmage, and wear Mithral Full Plate, or blow two feats on Armor Proficiency (Heavy) and Battle Caster (just take the mithral). You get to do exactly what you've requested right out of the can.

Build yourself around reducing the cost of metamagic (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9876.0), include Searing Spell, or if you aren't afraid of being good, Consecrate Spell and the Spell Focus (Good) line is really nifty.

If the Cheese factor isn't too high, throw in Rainbow Servant (only if your DM rules text trumps table).

Shadowscale
2014-03-12, 02:35 AM
The easiest way to pull this off is to make the armor a really convincing illusion. With a simple mage armor spell it would be tough to interact with and become entitled to a Will save.

That'd be hilarious.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-12, 02:50 AM
Three ways (using straight up magic or magic items):

Luminous Armor (BoED) Looks like dazzling fullplate, but treated like breastplate
Luminous Armor (BoED) Looks and treated like dazzling fullplate

Both have catches, you have to have the sanctified spell casting feat and make Strength sacrifices.

IF the DM allows, you can become the Paladin's special mount, and the paladin takes improved spellcaster feat to give you full plate barding. But I wouldn't let the paladin claim me as his mount.

Psyren
2014-03-12, 08:18 AM
I really wanted an arcane warrior in full plate who uses evocation and enchanting who maxes intelligence and strength. Seen in a lot of rp settings but not sure how to go about building.

Maxing intelligence and strength is generally not a good idea simply because they don't complement each other very well and pull resources away from the other stats you need (Con and Dex.) Full plate also hurts your Dex.

You could go for a Strength-based Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) build

docnessuno
2014-03-12, 08:26 AM
Maxing intelligence and strength is generally not a good idea simply because they don't complement each other very well and pull resources away from the other stats you need (Con and Dex.) Full plate also hurts your Dex.

You could go for a Strength-based Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) build

Both the Duskblade (3.5) and Magus (Pathfinder) do quite well with a Str/Int build.

Psyren
2014-03-12, 08:38 AM
Both the Duskblade (3.5) and Magus (Pathfinder) do quite well with a Str/Int build.

Right, but they both do well because they focus on melee attacks and buffs, rather than just throwing fireballs everywhere while wearing armor. Yeah they both can throw fireballs but you're generally better off with things like scorching ray that don't have saving throws, or just plain haste/shield/fly etc.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-12, 08:44 AM
IF the DM allows, you can become the Paladin's special mount, and the paladin takes improved spellcaster feat to give you full plate barding. But I wouldn't let the paladin claim me as his mount.

What if he gave you a ring first? :smallbiggrin:

Oh the mental image of a saddled Wizard in full-plate being ridden into battle by the Paladin! I. Am. Dying!

Psyren
2014-03-12, 08:45 AM

Well, that depends on his.... Charisma score. (giggity)

MadGreenSon
2014-03-12, 08:57 AM
After being "claimed" as a special mount, you should see about getting some warbeast training so that you'll be at your best when you ride into battle. :smallbiggrin:

PraxisVetli
2014-03-12, 10:09 AM

Oh the mental image of a saddled Wizard in full-plate being ridden into battle by the Paladin! I. Am. Dying!

After being "claimed" as a special mount, you should see about getting some warbeast training so that you'll be at your best when you ride into battle. :smallbiggrin:

I love this forum.

Snowbluff
2014-03-12, 10:18 AM
Seriously though, there are a few ways to do this:

ASF only applies to spells with Somatic Components. Still spell.

Lower the ASF. Twilight Armor (10%), and probably make it Githcraft (5%), Feycraft (5%) and Mithril (10%). You're still short 5% ASF reduction for Fullplate, though.

Runesmith removes somatic components.

Battle Caster lets Beguilers, Warmages, and Dread Necromancers cast in Mithril Fullplate.

The aforementioned Luminous Armor.

Magus make bad Str builds, since they usually have to use weapons one-handed. People usually go Dervish Dance with them. Really, you want a specialized Gish build, rather than a Gish-in-a-Can. Sorcadin, Swiftdancer, Jade Pheonix Mage...

Bakkan
2014-03-12, 10:18 AM
A set of +1 Twilight Mithril Thistledown Githcraft Feycraft full plate has 0 percent ASF, but it does have a little bit of ACP (-5 I believe) which would apply to all your attack rolls and movement-based skills. However, if you can avoid making attack rolls, this armor doesn't interfere with your casting.

Snowbluff
2014-03-12, 10:22 AM
A set of +1 Twilight Mithril Thistledown Githcraft Feycraft full plate has 0 percent ASF, but it does have a little bit of ACP (-5 I believe) which would apply to all your attack rolls and movement-based skills. However, if you can avoid making attack rolls, this armor doesn't interfere with your casting.

You mean wildwood, right? Fullplate with 30% ASF and one less AC. That would work Twilight Gith/Fey if it could be mithril.

Vhaidara
2014-03-12, 10:25 AM
One of my fellow players is doing something like this.

Warblade/Wizard/Tunesmith/Jade Phoenix Mage.

Bakkan
2014-03-12, 10:30 AM
You mean wildwood, right? Fullplate with 30% ASF and one less AC. That would work Twilight Gith/Fey if it could be mithril.

I'm not actually familiar with wildwood, but based on the name I'm guessing it can't be mithril. Full plate works, though: Mithril and Twilight each reduce ASF by 10 percent, and Thistledown, Feycraft, and Githcraft each reduce it by 5 percent.

Snowbluff
2014-03-12, 10:39 AM
I'm not actually familiar with wildwood, but based on the name I'm guessing it can't be mithril. Full plate works, though: Mithril and Twilight each reduce ASF by 10 percent, and Thistledown, Feycraft, and Githcraft each reduce it by 5 percent.

Oh, there we go. We want thistledown padding. With all of the stuff I ninjaed in, it should work.

Anyway, Martial Wizard6/Swiftblade9/Spelldancer1/AbjurantChampion4. That will kick some butt.

Sorcadin is Paladin2/Sorcerer/Spellsword1/AbjurantChampion5/SacredExorcist, I think.

Alternative Spell Source is a metamagic that makes arcane spells divine. That removes ASF. Costs 1 CL.

Shadowscale
2014-03-12, 11:11 AM
So as far as trying to build to the flavor of a warrior who uses enchanted weapons and casts arcane spells what would be fitting, also for around a level 7 or 8 build?

Vhaidara
2014-03-12, 11:14 AM
I really do recommend the Warblade/ Wizard/Runesmith/Jade Phoenix Mage.

It gives you arcane casting in heavy armor, +16bab, 9th level casting, strong initiator capabilities, and tunesmith has good flavor synergy with crafting.

Psyren
2014-03-12, 11:15 AM
I would go with Wu Jen rather than Wizard, for that cool kung fu flavor. Effectively you get Amakusa rather than Gandalf. The BAB boost and gishiness benefits the Wu Jen's array of attack roll spells like Decapitating Scarf as well.

Shadowscale
2014-03-12, 11:17 AM
I'm looking for heavy armor really early on around 5th or earlier level.

ace rooster
2014-03-12, 11:20 AM
What level, sources and level of op/cheese are you wanting? I am assuming fairly low op, given the question is based on cool factor.

At low to mid level, craft wand/brew potion. Fireball and the like are casted from wands, and enchantment is done by oils, otherwise get to know the spells without somatic components. True strike, blur, blind, shout and dimension door are some core ones from memory, but there are many more. One thing to notice is that many of the good spells have no saves, or are on self. Because of this you do not have to go overboard on int to have a viable build.
If you must have your fireballs at full power and with full DCs then a staff of fire is one of the cheaper ones.

Are you a dwarf? I once looked into a dwarf wizard build, and found I couldn't make myself build a dwarf that was not in proper full plate. It just felt wrong :smallsmile:.

Vhaidara
2014-03-12, 11:21 AM
The build I posted gets heavy armor casting at level 7. I don't think you'll get it before , since that marks PrC entry (usually).

Immabozo
2014-03-12, 11:24 AM

I am going to again, suggest something different than anyone else. StP Erudite, you can get any arcane spell as a power. Get Fireball. Ignore the other powers and spells if you like. Psionics do not get ASF and it will even LOOK the same, in fluff.

Since full casting is not a problem, pick up a level in some fighter type for proficiency with all armors. Like a fighter or something.

Just dont go overboard on the erudite side of things and you will be fine!

Can I PLEASE sig this?

Shadowscale
2014-03-12, 11:25 AM
What level, sources and level of op/cheese are you wanting? I am assuming fairly low op, given the question is based on cool factor.

At low to mid level, craft wand/brew potion. Fireball and the like are casted from wands, and enchantment is done by oils, otherwise get to know the spells without somatic components. True strike, blur, blind, shout and dimension door are some core ones from memory, but there are many more. One thing to notice is that many of the good spells have no saves, or are on self. Because of this you do not have to go overboard on int to have a viable build.
If you must have your fireballs at full power and with full DCs then a staff of fire is one of the cheaper ones.

Are you a dwarf? I once looked into a dwarf wizard build, and found I couldn't make myself build a dwarf that was not in proper full plate. It just felt wrong :smallsmile:.

I'm essentially looking for an optimization level either at or above basic fighter tier.

Immabozo
2014-03-12, 11:32 AM
I'm essentially looking for an optimization level either at or above basic fighter tier.

You would seriously have to mess up to build a wizard in the same tier as a fighter.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-12, 11:44 AM
I'll put in another vote for Runesmith for a dwarven fighter-type. I had a blast in a 2-year campaign playing a Ftr/Wiz/Abjurant Champion with a sprinkling of homebrewed spellfire PrC designed for melee use. Had a raven familiar with imbue familiar with spell ability and some wands, went away from the typical dwarven stereotypical behavior by being overly intellectual/logical guy who had trouble emoting outside of combat, when he usually busted loose with the more typical dwarvish cursing and swinging his greataxe around. Ah, good times.

Runesmith has pretty easy entry, gets rid of somatic components right off the bat (which gets rid of the arcane spell failure), and has a ton of cool flavor to go along with it. A single level of wizard can qualify for it on a fighter-heavy build, or a single level of fighter can qualify for it in a wizard-heavy build. At later levels, it can be used to put runes on items others can use and other interesting stuff. Aside from losing out on the utility of luminous armour, it synergizes well with Abjurant Champion; my character two-handed and used the extended, extra AC shield spell to good effect. No super high-op, but it seems like that isn't what the OP was looking for anyway.

A reasonable DM might even waive the racial requirement, which is pretty much solely fluff-based; any character that can fluff a history with ancient runes (very giant-like, too) or with a stone-heavy racial flavor (any Underdark race...the PrC appears in Races of Stone) would be pretty appropriate. Some day I will probably formalize an adaptation for illumians, for instance, which are fairly perfect for the concept.

Stoneback
2014-03-12, 12:00 PM
Three ways (using straight up magic or magic items):

Luminous Armor (BoED) Looks like dazzling fullplate, but treated like breastplate
Luminous Armor (BoED) Looks and treated like dazzling fullplate

Both have catches, you have to have the sanctified spell casting feat and make Strength sacrifices.

I dunno, paladins can be both cute and very persuasive... ^_^

Immabozo
2014-03-12, 12:04 PM
I dunno, paladins can be both cute and very persuasive... ^_^

You are right, Paladins are cute, not effective, cute

NoACWarrior
2014-03-12, 01:30 PM

Funny thing you should say that - in our older college campaign we were debating whether the Orc barbarian could serve as the Halfling outrider's steed. I would imagine just what you would except with a Halfling Paladin. In all seriousness, what Wizard wouldn't want the ability to be ride checked to negate 1 attack on them :smallwink:

But back to the topic. Isn't there some kind of clockwork armor which was constructed in a way that it was 1 class lighter? I'll scour some source books for it, but I had a feeling someone out there might know what I'm talking about.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-12, 02:14 PM
Can I PLEASE sig this?

Um. Sure.

Funny thing you should say that - in our older college campaign we were debating whether the Orc barbarian could serve as the Halfling outrider's steed. I would imagine just what you would except with a Halfling Paladin. In all seriousness, what Wizard wouldn't want the ability to be ride checked to negate 1 attack on them :smallwink:

A halfling Outrider? part of a Supermount build then? :smallbiggrin:

Vhaidara
2014-03-12, 02:21 PM
A halfling Outrider? part of a Supermount build then? :smallbiggrin:

Well, I suppose a mount with class levels beats one without.

JaronK
2014-03-12, 02:22 PM
Evoker/Runesmith? That would certainly do it.

JaronK

NoACWarrior
2014-03-12, 04:33 PM
Well, I suppose a mount with class levels beats one without.

That was the idea until the characters in question decided it wasn't a great idea anyways. It would have been cool to have a charging Orc Barbarian, with a halfling also benefiting from the charge. But I digress...

I'd agree with alot of other people here, Runesmith is the way to go if you want 100% physical full plate.

Alternatively if you just care about the stats - you could go Ardent Savant (CArc) once you get to lvl 9, it gives you (at lvl 11) a greater magearmor at +8.

If you want a bit more flavor, another option is available thru feats - Shape Soulmeld Ankeg Breastplate. Yes it "looks like" breast plate, and the armor bonus is pretty bad, being just as bad when you get to lvl 12 and taking 3 more feats to improve it (only achieving a total of +6 at lvl 12 and maxes out at +7 at lvl 18) but if you want a more natural look, it fits the bill and has no ACP, ASF, or Max Dex. You will also not have to multiclass / PrC and can get it as early as Lvl1 with it getting better starting level 6 (it can be +5 by then with 2 feats, but until then it is +4).

If you are still weary about luminous armor, you could get a magic item to cast it once a day. Luminous Armor Greater is a 4th level spell and would cost 10080 for a command word cast item 1/day (would still require you to sacrifice 1d3 points of STR). Luminous Armor is a 2nd level spell and would cost 4320 for a command word cast item 2/day (would require 1d2 points of STR).

If you are worried about the strength damage you might want to take Shape Soulmeld Strongheart Vest to reduce the damage (but there are arguments with that soulmeld and hellfire warlock so if you can convince your DM then sure).

Shadowscale
2014-03-13, 09:36 AM
Now I actually have some decent time to respond to this. Let us hope my posting quality can go slightly above abysmal now...

To be more specific what I was looking for the character in question I planned on building would be in a low level campaign. Essentially I'd like to build the equivalent of an arcane paladin akin to how the paladin is a more melee focused caster when compared to the cleric or favored soul. If possible though I'd like to have intelligence be my casting stat similar to the wizard.

The race I had in mind was a Savreree +2 str -2 con Elf Orcs.

Since this campaign will be lower level being useful earlier is crucial, so being able to get higher level armor without spell failure as soon as possible is key.

The specific flavor I had in mind was one still able to hold their own with basic attack and aoe spells, focused on enchanting and enhancing their fighting ability, and able to seamlessly blend together the powers of magic and melee fighting in the middle of the fray.

docnessuno
2014-03-13, 09:56 AM
Reiterating some ideas (builds up to level 7):

Duskblade 7:
Good: Works very well right out of the box. Start shining as early as level 3. Can wear mithral full plate with no ASF at level 4. Lots of spells/day. Arcane channeling. Free quickened spell at level 5. Full BAB and CL, good HPs.
Bad: No "true" full plate casting (requires mithral to pull off). Slower access to higher spell levels (No 3rd level spells). Limited spell list.

Fighter 1 / Wizard 4 / Runesmith 2
Good: 6/7 Wizard casting, True full plate casting with no ASF. Still spells. Up to 2 bonus fighter feats (Fighter 1 and Wizard 1 ACF)
Bad: Not-that-good HPs. Low (+4) BAB. Armored casting comes on-line late (level 6). Must be a Dwarf.

Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 4 / Spellsword 1
Good: 5/7 Sorcerer casting, Cha to saves, Able to cast spells in Twilight Mithral Breastplate with no ASF.
Bad: Not-that-good HPs. Low (+5) BAB. Armored casting comes on-line late (level 6) and is restricted to Mithral chainmail or Twilight mithral breastplate. No 3rd level spells.

Shadowscale
2014-03-13, 11:06 AM
I like the idea of duskblade, and I'm pretty sure their is a feat to up their caster level by 3 or so. What would be an effective prestige for one to go into?

Hyena
2014-03-13, 11:09 AM
Just take the warmage. It's exactly what you want - evocation spells, heavy armor, power above fighter, but not overwhelmingly so.

Urpriest
2014-03-13, 11:11 AM
I like the idea of duskblade, and I'm pretty sure their is a feat to up their caster level by 3 or so. What would be an effective prestige for one to go into?

If you expect to get to 13th level then you should just go straight Duskblade, since their 13th level ability is pretty good.

Otherwise, Abjurant Champion may be worthwhile.

docnessuno
2014-03-13, 11:12 AM

Their caster level is already equal to their class level, no need to increase that.

As far as PRC goes:
- If your game has a chance to progress to level 13 or higher, stick with Duskblade for 13/15 levels.
- Duskblade 20 is a perfectly fine build.
- If you want to PRC, Abjurant champion is surprisingly easy to pick up, and nets sone interesting benefits (moreso if you manage to expand your spell list to include shield and other abjurations)
- Good drop points for duskblade are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 13, 15

Shadowscale
2014-03-13, 11:19 AM
Just take the warmage. It's exactly what you want - evocation spells, heavy armor, power above fighter, but not overwhelmingly so.

From looking at this you're exactly right. s this a good class to take all the levels of though and how does it rank in terms of duskblade?

Urpriest
2014-03-13, 11:20 AM
From looking at this you're exactly right. s this a good class to take all the levels of though and how does it rank in terms of duskblade?

They do different things. Warmage is a class that focuses on throwing fireballs and other damage spells while wearing armor. Duskblade is a class that focuses on engaging in melee and channeling spells through their sword. In general Duskblades are more powerful than Warmages, but it really depends what fits your concept.

Shadowscale
2014-03-13, 11:22 AM
They do different things. Warmage is a class that focuses on throwing fireballs and other damage spells while wearing armor. Duskblade is a class that focuses on engaging in melee and channeling spells through their sword. In general Duskblades are more powerful than Warmages, but it really depends what fits your concept.

So if the main focus is to be a practical hybrid between arcane magic and martial prowess duskblade would be the better option it seems? I appreciate all the help.

docnessuno
2014-03-13, 11:25 AM

Better at spellcasting and direct damage spells (Sorcerer-like spells/day and spell level access, with with a restricted spell list)
Cannot channel.
Slightly lower HP, low fortitude save.
Wizard BAB (instead of full BAB).
Slower access to armor (8th level VS 4th for medium armor with no ASF)
Cha-based instead of Int-based casting (but some Int-based class features).

A Warmage is a (blaster) caster able to wear some armor.
A Duskblade is a melee fighter able to channel spells into his strikes and buff himself, with some ranged spells as a backup.

Urpriest
2014-03-13, 11:35 AM
So if the main focus is to be a practical hybrid between arcane magic and martial prowess duskblade would be the better option it seems? I appreciate all the help.

Yes, if you're interested in martial prowess at all duskblade is a better choice than warmage.

In general, if you want to hybridize martial and magical power you should look up the term Gish, that's usually the word for a character like that and there are guides for it everywhere.

KorbeltheReader
2014-03-13, 12:40 PM
Hold up a second. Fireball is a big part of what you want to do, right? Fireball isn't on the duskblade spell list; in fact, there's very little blasting at all on it. You can ask your GM if he'll allow the feat Extra Spell to get you something off of another spell list, or alternatively there might be a domain you could pick up with Arcane Disciple that would have the spells you want (though I'm not aware of one).

I think warmage is a much cleaner way to skin this cat, even if it's a less less powerful. It'll still beat a fighter any day.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-13, 02:18 PM
Hold up a second. Fireball is a big part of what you want to do, right? Fireball isn't on the duskblade spell list; in fact, there's very little blasting at all on it. You can ask your GM if he'll allow the feat Extra Spell to get you something off of another spell list, or alternatively there might be a domain you could pick up with Arcane Disciple that would have the spells you want (though I'm not aware of one).

I think warmage is a much cleaner way to skin this cat, even if it's a less less powerful. It'll still beat a fighter any day.

But Duskblade gets medium armored mage by 4th level (thus be able to use Mithril Fullplate) and also has martial weapon proficiency, full BAB, has some interesting tanky flavor, and lower spell progression than a full caster.

On the other hand warmage gets medium armored mage by 8th level, has only simple weapon proficiency, poor BAB, has some interesting evoking nuker flavor, and full spell progression as a full caster.

Where as Duskblade can be a support / minor caster, Warmage can't tank effectively.

The Grue
2014-03-13, 04:16 PM
Why would you wear armor if you can already cast 3rd-level spells?

Consider: a level 7 Cleric can do that all that. Except throw the fireball. Clerics only get good spells.

A Cleric with the Magic domain and a wand could pull that off if they really wanted to throw a fireball.

KorbeltheReader
2014-03-13, 04:36 PM
But Duskblade gets medium armored mage by 4th level (thus be able to use Mithril Fullplate) and also has martial weapon proficiency, full BAB, has some interesting tanky flavor, and lower spell progression than a full caster.

On the other hand warmage gets medium armored mage by 8th level, has only simple weapon proficiency, poor BAB, has some interesting evoking nuker flavor, and full spell progression as a full caster.

Where as Duskblade can be a support / minor caster, Warmage can't tank effectively.

All of these things are true, yes. OP said this though:

A wizard in full plate who casts fiereball type spells and specializes in enchanting their weapon.
You don't get the fireball type spells with a duskblade. You don't get a lot of weapon enchants with the warmage, admittedly (and curiously), but in any case I just wanted to point that out in case the bodacious blasting is a must-have.

Urpriest
2014-03-13, 04:45 PM
I mean, it's true that none of these guys "enchant their weapon", but that's because that isn't really a thing in D&D. Enchanting weapons is something that takes money and time, except for a few classes it's more of an NPC thing.