PDA

View Full Version : Natural attack's, help needed ! (3.5)

SuperMuuh
2014-03-12, 02:50 AM
edit: game platform D&D 3.5
I am desperately trying to find a class or race which has a permanent set of natural attacks. It has to be at least 2 (or more) claws, talons, paws etc. for my current build idea to work. The natural attack has to deal AT LEAST 1d4 points of damage, and the class or race, has to have them before reaching level 5. It does not matter if the race is tiny, small, or whatever. As long as it is not a large creature or bigger.

I have looked high and low, but can't seem to find anything.
I really hope some of you guys can help me :smallbiggrin:

NikitaDarkstar
2014-03-12, 03:03 AM
So, you may want to clarify what system you're talking about and then post in that systems subforum, you're more likely to get quick answers that way. :p

But if it's D&D 3.5 there's a few templates to consider (half-dragon among others) or pick up savage species and grab a monster race. I doubt any class gains them that early though (I think Dragon Desciple eventually does, but not that fast, and that class is not exactly amazingly well written). You can also look up Catfolk, I don't know if they gain any natural attacks but I think they may.

SuperMuuh
2014-03-12, 03:30 AM
So, you may want to clarify what system you're talking about and then post in that systems subforum, you're more likely to get quick answers that way. :p

Oops ya, should've. Damnit

Thx for the reply :)

Jarred Stone
2014-03-13, 02:45 AM
For Pathfinder, an half-orc can get some feats to develop natural attacks. In fact, barbarian with beast totem get the most of those natural attacks. I think it could be a way to get what you want.

Of course, the other way is to play a unicorn using Ponyfinder's rules and get 3 natural attacks out of the way... *ahem* But I am pretty sure that wouldn't fit with the PC idea you actually have, right? :smalltongue: *joking, joking*

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-13, 04:01 AM
Beguiler from Shining South get 2 claws and a bite, can wield weapons with their tail, get permanent True Seeing, Multiattack as a bonus feat and are LA +0.

Qc Storm
2014-03-13, 04:10 AM
I think Kobolds get a 2Claw+Bite from somewhere...

NoACWarrior
2014-03-13, 04:28 AM
I'm listing some of the more popular options, I don't know every race or every class off hand, I just looked through a few books and used a popular list. And I finished the scouring after 2.5 hours.

+0 LA Races with Permanent natural attacks:
Kenku (MMIII): 2x Primary Claws 1d3 (take improved natural attack) Thanks Darrin!
Skarn (MoI): 2x Spines 1d6 damage (unlike monsters use two weapon fighting rules)
Variant Kobold (RoD/MM): 2x Primary Claws 1d3, 1x Secondary Bite 1d3 (take improved natural attack) Thanks Qc Storm!
Warforged (RoE): 2x Primary Slam 1d4, 1x Secondary Bite 1d6 (take Jaws of death and improved natural attack) Thanks Darrin!

+1 LA Races with Permanent natural attacks:
Wildren (PlH): 2x Primary Claws 1d4
Poison Dusk Lizardfolk (MM3): 2x Primary Claws 1d3, 1x Secondary Bite 1d3 (take improved natural attack)

+3 LA Races with Permanent natural attacks:
Half-Dragon (MM): 2x Primary Claws 1d4, 1x Secondary Bite 1d6

+1 LA templates with Permanent natural attacks:
Draconic (RotD): 2x Primary Claws 1d3 (take improved natural attack)
Feral (SS): 2x Primary Claws 1d8 (was not ported to 3.5, kinda OP)

Classes with Permanent natural attacks:
Monk (PHB): Your fists - 1d6 at lvl 1 (counted as natural weapons)
Druid Variant Shapeshifter (PHBII): you can stay in your shape shifted form permanently but don't get 2 or more natural attacks until lvl 8 (which require you to reshape to that new shape)
Totemist (MoI): Various Soulmelds grant 1 or more natural attacks. Totem bind required to get said natural attacks. You must maintain these soulmelds permanently. Thanks HammeredWharf!

Feats which give Permanent natural attacks:
Draconic Claw (RotD): 2x Primary Claws 1d6 medium (requires draconic heritage and must be at least a 1st level Sorcerer)
Dragon Tail (RotD): 1x Secondary Tail 1d6 medium (requires dragonblood subtype, must be taken at 1st level)
Deformity Teeth (HoH): 1x Secondary Bite 1d4 (vile feat requires willing deformity)
Illithid Grapple (CPsi): 1x Primary Tentacle 1d4 (requires Illithid heritage and another Illithid feat)
Jaws of Death (RoE): 1x Secondary Bite 1d6 (requires race to be warforged)
Shape Soulmeld (MoI/RotD?): Various Soulmelds grant 1 or more natural attacks. Some must be bound to a chakra to get the natural attack.

Soulmelds which give Permanent natural attacks:
Claws of the Wyrm (RotD?): 2x Primary Claws 1d3 (requires dragonblood subtype, take improved natural attack)

Soulmelds which give Permanent natural attacks but require totem bind: (note that totem bind is only available from the totemist base class)
Ankheg Breastplate (MoI): 1x Primary Bite 1d8
Behir Gorget (MoI): 1x Primary Bite 1d8
Bloodtalons (MoI): 2x Primary Claws 1d3 (take improved natural attack, technically 1 claw per hand)
Brass Mane (MoI): 1x Primary Bite 1d8
Girallon Arms (MoI): grow 2 more arms, 1x Primary Claw 1d4 3x Secondary Claw 1d4
Kruthik Claws (MoI): 2x Primary Claws 1d6 (technically 1 claw per hand)
Lamia Belt (MoI): 2x Secondary Claws 1d4 (requires Evil)
Phase Cloak (MoI): 1x Primary Bite 1d4
Rage Claws (MoI): 2x Primary Claws 1d6 (technically 1 claw per hand)
Sphinx Claws (MoI): 2x Primary Claws 1d8 (technically 1 claw per hand)
Three Fold Mask of the Chimera (MoI) 3x Special Primary Bites 1d8 1d6 and 1d6 (when making a full attack option as a secondary only 1 bite can be used)
Unicorn Horn (MoI): 1x Primary Horn 1d6
Winter Mask (MoI): 1x Primary Bite 1d6
Worg Pelt (MoI): 1x Primary Bite 1d6
Wormtail Belt (MoI) 1x Secondary Sting 1d6

Note: class features which grant natural attacks, said natural attack should be permanent or persistable for as long as the player desires. While ToM pact magic gives you natural attacks, these are entirely dependent on the 24 hour period - such natural attacks may not qualify you for feats / PrCs. Continue to list them, but I won't be adding non-permanent methods to this list. :smallwink:

Note than unarmed strike used by any other class than monk is NOT considered a natural weapon.

Edit 1: added in feats which give natural attacks, added in variant kobold.
Edit 2: added in entries from Darrin - the kenku, warforged from eberron, and soulmeld option, also added in entries from HammeredWharf under new soulmeld section, added totemist as a class option.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-13, 04:34 AM
I think Kobolds get a 2Claw+Bite from somewhere...

Ah you are right good sir. Race of the Dragon - Variant Kobold Racial Traits http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a

2x Primary Claw attacks 1d3 and 1x Bite 1d3

HammeredWharf
2014-03-13, 05:36 AM
Totemist (Tome of Magic) gets a lot of semi-permanent natural attacks. They're magical, but function all day long.

Darrin
2014-03-13, 07:24 AM
Kenku (MMIII) is LA +0 and has two 1d3 claws, you can make that 1d4 with Improved Natural Attack.

Warforged with Second Slam (Races of Eberron) or Mighty Arms graft (Faiths of Eberron) might work, although that may be a little dodgy from a rules standpoint.

Any Dragonblood race can grab a pair of 1d6 claws by taking Shape Soulmeld: Claws of the Wyrm. Silverbrow Human might be your best choice there.

Are you trying to get Rapidstrike onto something?

NoACWarrior
2014-03-13, 02:23 PM
Kenku (MMIII) is LA +0 and has two 1d3 claws, you can make that 1d4 with Improved Natural Attack.

Warforged with Second Slam (Races of Eberron) or Mighty Arms graft (Faiths of Eberron) might work, although that may be a little dodgy from a rules standpoint.

Any Dragonblood race can grab a pair of 1d6 claws by taking Shape Soulmeld: Claws of the Wyrm. Silverbrow Human might be your best choice there.

Are you trying to get Rapidstrike onto something?

I was just thinking about the warforged in Eberron. In Greyhawk the normal warforged need to use both hands to make thier slam (dealing 1+1/2 str damage in the process), I'll add this to the listing above.

Darrin
2014-03-13, 02:58 PM
I was just thinking about the warforged in Eberron. In Greyhawk the normal warforged need to use both hands to make thier slam (dealing 1+1/2 str damage in the process), I'll add this to the listing above.

I'm not sure why there'd be a difference between Eberron/Greyhawk, but if you could point me to any official text that states conclusively how many arms a warforged uses when he slams, I would appreciate it more than you can imagine.

Elderand
2014-03-13, 03:03 PM
If you can use homebrew there is a host of cool classes that can do natural attacks.

My favorite would be the ozodrin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536)

NoACWarrior
2014-03-13, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure why there'd be a difference between Eberron/Greyhawk, but if you could point me to any official text that states conclusively how many arms a warforged uses when he slams, I would appreciate it more than you can imagine.

Ah - Actually I remember it now. The Greyhawk Warforged entries for Full attack list only 1 slam (with the warforged taking a single warrior level), where as the "Warforged as Characters" seems to be missing the natural attack completely. It was something me and my old DM came up with to make the entries sane and make sense - a single slam as a primary natural attack with both hands - not normally usable when either hand has a weapon. Otherwise when the full attack was listed it should have the iterative attacks first, with the secondary slam attack included as part of the full attack.

But alas - this is a "fix", the monster table can be completely incorrect and by RAW a warforged warrior NPC of lvl 2 wouldn't have said slam attack.

Big Fau
2014-03-13, 05:08 PM
Totemist has already been mentioned, but it's worth repeating. A 2 level dip gets you upwards of 4 claws, and 9 levels gives a lot more. And you can change what natural weapons you have each day.