PDA

View Full Version : Fear auras and allies

Lothalen
2014-03-12, 04:06 AM
So I am playing a scarecrow build illumian dread necromancer from the reanimated dread necromancer handbook with some flavor changes. So I was wondering 2 things.

1.) Will my fear aura affect my allies whether I want it to or not?

2.) Does suppressing my fear aura with persisted aura of terror eliminate my persisted spell?

That being said the build revolves round persisted divine power and persisted aura of terror with black lore of moil and fell drain 6d6 negative energy damage with negative levels. Is there any way to protect my group from that in battle?

Know(Nothing)
2014-03-12, 04:15 AM
Fear Aura (Su): Beginning at 5th level, a dread necromancer radiates a 5-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. Enemies in the area must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 her class level + her Cha modifier) or become shaken. A creature who successfully saves cannot be affected by that dread necromancer's fear aura for 24 hours.

Emphasis mine.

Tomb-tainted Soul would protect your allies from the negative energy damage, but not the negative levels. Plus if they can afford the feat, that's free out-of-combat healing as long as you're around.

Not sure about the suppression/persisting.

Lothalen
2014-03-12, 04:28 AM
Problem is my group consists of 3 Chaotic Good characters a warblade, an artificer, and a bard. So they don't qualify for tomb tainted soul we've explored them emulating an alignment with a feat item made by the artificer.

So if my fear aura only affects enemies I should be able to argue to the DM that since negative energy and negative levels are a product of the aura it shudnt hurt them either?

Know(Nothing)
2014-03-12, 04:45 AM
I think you're in the clear, since BLoM would trigger only if the spell(or in this case, your aura) hit your allies, and the negative levels would only trigger if BLoM hit.

So as long as your DM agrees that your fear aura doesn't hit your allies, you should be fine.