PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for refluffing goggles

hymer
2014-03-12, 07:26 AM
I'd like to refluff goggles, lenses and similar face slot items to something that would seem more at home in older settings, such as Middle-earth, the Icelandic Sagas or Arthurian legends. Ideas, thoughts comments, etc. are very welcome.

Telonius
2014-03-12, 08:01 AM
It would be more Indian-influenced than European, but making those into a bindi (jewel right between the eyes) might work. Maybe an earring or mask?

Kalmageddon
2014-03-12, 08:09 AM
Helmets? Or are we talking about keeping the right slot? Then something like a mask would be the only way, I'm afraid.

hymer
2014-03-12, 08:14 AM
It would be more Indian-influenced than European, but making those into a bindi (jewel right between the eyes) might work. Maybe an earring or mask?

Thanks!

Helmets? Or are we talking about keeping the right slot? Then something like a mask would be the only way, I'm afraid.

I want to keep them to the face slot for game purposes. But there are other ways to fill the face slot I've seen. The pearl of speech goes in your mouth, but fills the face slot.
Thanks for replying!

My own thoughts run along the lines of war paint and vizors, but I'm hoping to get more ideas, especially since both have their own inappropriateness (if that's a word).

Segev
2014-03-12, 08:30 AM
Biblical passages refer more than once to "anointing the eyes" with oils and the like. That's even a material component to True Seeing. Perhaps a magical brush or cloth or other tool for applying such ointments?

hymer
2014-03-12, 08:36 AM
Good one, thank you! I suppose plenty of things could work like that, like a holy cup or a drinking horn.

Techwarrior
2014-03-12, 08:43 AM
A scarf works pretty well. I use that one in my own games most of the time, as I tend to shy away from goggles in my fantasy.

hymer
2014-03-12, 08:51 AM
That makes perfect sense, thanks!

Ravens_cry
2014-03-12, 09:18 AM
Masks, specifically half faced masks. Plenty of examples in cultures from all over the world in all modes of technological development.

hymer
2014-03-12, 10:04 AM
More masks for the collection, thanks!

Talionis
2014-03-12, 03:41 PM
Inuktitut : Eskimo Snow Goggles.

Tattoos.

Head Bands, why am I getting a whole bunch of early 80's flashbacks of Olivia Newton John? But Naruto and other Japaneses icons have headbands that can be worn with/over helmets.

Jeff the Green
2014-03-12, 04:19 PM
One of my players in my multiverse game whose character is from a fairy tale-esque world fluffed a Scout's Headband as the eyes of a giant that he stole and replaced his own with.

hymer
2014-03-13, 03:27 AM
@ Talionis: Thanks for the suggestions!

@ Jeff the Green: Sounds like something out of a horror game. :smallwink: But thanks!

Socksy
2014-03-13, 03:32 AM
One of those masquerade masks, possibly on a stick.

Maybe a paint or mud applied to the eyes.

hymer
2014-03-13, 05:14 AM
More masks, more ointment Thanks!

TuggyNE
2014-03-13, 05:46 AM
One of those masquerade masks, possibly on a stick.

Maybe a paint or mud applied to the eyes.

The last words of those two sentences, read hastily, made me wince before I read the whole thing.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-13, 08:49 AM
More phylacteries could be another in the original sense of the word, not the 'magic item holding a lich's soul' sense.

hymer
2014-03-13, 09:40 AM
@ Ravens_cry:

phylactery [...] a small leather box containing Hebrew texts on vellum, worn by Jewish men at morning prayer as a reminder to keep the law.

They wore/wear those on their faces?

Segev
2014-03-13, 09:43 AM
@ Ravens_cry:

They wore those on their faces?

Strapped around the arms, around foreheads, and I think around necks.

Lord Raziere
2014-03-13, 09:45 AM
Blindfolds. That and they're useful for making people think your blind! :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2014-03-13, 09:52 AM
Strapped around the arms, around foreheads, and I think around necks.
Yes on the former, but they were worn like a headband around the forehead I believe instead of the latter. Edit: Derp, didn't see you mentioned foreheads. Silly Ravens Cry is silly!:smalltongue:

hymer
2014-03-13, 09:55 AM
@ Segev: Thanks. Those sound like the arms, head and shoulder slots to me, but I suppose it's not too tight a definition on head there.

@ Lord Raziere: Well if you wore one, you would be, or we should call it something else. :smallwink: Thanks!

@ Ravens_cry: Thanks!

Segev
2014-03-13, 11:12 AM
Actually, a blindfold that fluff-wise sharpened your senses such that you acted like you were normally sighted with Darkvision out to a certain radius and with whatever other bonuses the goggles are meant to give could be interesting. Why it's not blindsight would need either hand-waving or to be ignored (since invis. still works against darkvision, but shouldn't against "sharpened other senses").

Joe the Rat
2014-03-13, 11:42 AM
Keeping it on the face(ish), scarves, kerchiefs, bandanas, etc. Cover the face, or cover your head, then put on your helmet (or nice hat).

For goggle effects, masks (seeing things differently through a hole in material to see things differently, or assuming the likelness of another thing) and phylacteries (third eye funtime) sound to me like the most direct analogs

Ravens_cry
2014-03-13, 11:43 AM
Actually, a blindfold that fluff-wise sharpened your senses such that you acted like you were normally sighted with Darkvision out to a certain radius and with whatever other bonuses the goggles are meant to give could be interesting. Why it's not blindsight would need either hand-waving or to be ignored (since invis. still works against darkvision, but shouldn't against "sharpened other senses").
I'd ask whether it protects against gaze attacks or not.

hymer
2014-03-13, 12:35 PM
@ Segev: The Blindfold of True Darkness is already a thing, MIC p. 75. :smallsmile:

@ Joe: More scarves, masks and phylacteries to the collection. Thanks!

Urpriest
2014-03-13, 12:58 PM
A prosthetic nose, like Tycho Brahe had.

Fax Celestis
2014-03-13, 01:00 PM
Earrings, circlets, and torcs could work, though two of those are technically already in other nearby body slots. Hairpins?

Socksy
2014-03-13, 01:09 PM
Oooooh, did anyone say a veil yet? :D

Gwaednerth
2014-03-13, 01:36 PM
You could go all Edward Teach and have a cloud of smoke hanging around the person's face which imbues them with power.

hymer
2014-03-13, 01:41 PM
@ Urpriest: And a hollow one for those who don't want to spite their faces. :smallwink: Thanks!

@ Fax_Celestis: Pins of various kinds should definitely be considered! Thanks!

@ Socksy: I'd say you got there first, and with a real classic too! :smallsmile: Thanks!

@ Gwaerdnerth: Oh yes, classy. An irate pirate, real swashbucklin' buccaneer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf9gulYfUh4)! Thanks!

Ravens_cry
2014-03-13, 02:32 PM
You could go all Edward Teach and have a cloud of smoke hanging around the person's face which imbues them with power.
From enchanted slow matches woven into one's beard presumably.

Segev
2014-03-13, 02:48 PM
Hm, yes, a pipe or cigar or the like which made its haze of smoke give "clearer" vision or the like could work, too.

Gwaednerth
2014-03-13, 03:40 PM
Great, now I have to design a magic pipe that grants blackbeard powers.

Segev
2014-03-13, 03:49 PM
Great, now I have to design a magic pipe that grants blackbeard powers.

The black hole fruit and (now) the quake-quake fruit?