PDA

View Full Version : Hiding my wizards magic use

Dyvim
2014-03-12, 08:46 AM
Ok, so in a core pathfinder game I'm playing in arcane magic is considered evil, corrupting and is totally illegal.

My 3rd level human wizard is a lot of fun to play in that world. :smallbiggrin:

My wizard abilities have to be hidden, even from my party. I've been using still and silent spell when possible and have been careful to avoid selecting spells that include rays and other obvious visible clues that my guy isn't quite what he says he is. It's been a lot of fun, but was wondering if the playground had any fun ideas considering this fairly huge restriction.

Looking for great spells I simply must have, or items that I should be considering trying to find (or craft). Also any other clever ideas to keep my wizarding a secret would be greatly appreciated!

Psyren
2014-03-12, 08:52 AM
False Focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/false-focus). Wear the most priestly vestments you can find and yell prayers whenever you cast anything while brandishing an ankh over your head, because as far as everyone else is concerned you are now a cleric. If you ever do something they don't think clerics can do, say it's a domain spell. Write "BIBLE" in big bold letters on the front of your spellbook, and "read scripture" every morning.

Also, consider the False Priest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/razmiran-priest) PrC so that you can "channel energy," "cture wounds" etc.

eastmabl
2014-03-12, 09:24 AM
Put ranks into bluff and sleight of hand to convince others that you're not casting spells while you're casting spells.

BWR
2014-03-12, 09:36 AM
Eschew Materials so people don't notice you fiddling with components or get you busted while shopping for bat guano. You're abit low level now, but Metamagic Rods disguised as something else (like walking stick or something) for when you want to get off your highest level spells stealthily.

VoxRationis
2014-03-12, 10:37 AM
Ok, so in a core pathfinder game I'm playing in arcane magic is considered evil, corrupting and is totally illegal.

Have you read these forum threads? Magic is corrupting and evil.

docnessuno
2014-03-12, 10:54 AM
Have you read these forum threads? Magic is corrupting and evil.

Only because absolute power corrupts absolutely.

On a more serious note:
False Focus
Ranks in Bluff
Silent and / or still spell (If your dm states that arcane and divine versions of the same spell have different Verbal/Somatic components, still/silent said spells and add the divine components on top of it).

Telonius
2014-03-12, 11:17 AM
If you're pretending to be a Cleric, make sure you either pick a Neutral deity or get some way of projecting a false aura.

Karoht
2014-03-12, 11:19 AM
Word Casting. It's a thing.
You're shouting words at people and spells happen. Easily disguised. A wand of Ventriloquism can make it sound like other people shouting words and spells happen.
Here's a guide, it is a bit of a complicated thing.
Word Casting Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291907)
Made extra funny if you happen to be a Bard with Soundstriker Archetype, who blasts enemies with shouting and they die.

Detect Magic is still a thing, Nondetection is a worthwhile buff to keep active all day, every day, for a variety of reasons, I'm pretty sure it covers this as well.

Dyvim
2014-03-13, 09:55 AM
Lots of good ideas here, thanks playground. :smallsmile:

DMVerdandi
2014-03-13, 10:20 AM
Invisible Spell metamagic.
It is EXACTLY what you need here. Plus it doesn't modify the spell level, So you can put it on ALL of your spells for free. And unless you are casting in melee, only someone with spot and listen would even be able to hear verbal and somatic cues.

Invisible cloud spells? (which come later) Oh my god. It's plague time. Hide wife, hide your kids, cause they cloud-killing everyone out here.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-13, 10:38 AM
Invisible Spell metamagic.
It is EXACTLY what you need here. Plus it doesn't modify the spell level, So you can put it on ALL of your spells for free. And unless you are casting in melee, only someone with spot and listen would even be able to hear verbal and somatic cues.

Invisible cloud spells? (which come later) Oh my god. It's plague time. Hide wife, hide your kids, cause they cloud-killing everyone out here.
Doesn't exist in Pathfinder I am afraid.