PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnate for non-humans

molten_dragon
2014-03-12, 09:15 AM
Has anyone ever come up with different reincarnate tables for other races/creatures?

I know the spell says you're supposed to use the given chart for all humanoids, but it doesn't make a lot of sense that way. Why should a dead orc (for example) have a much greater chance of coming back to life as a human than as an orc?

And there's nothing available for other creatures.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-12, 09:19 AM
Has anyone ever come up with different reincarnate tables for other races/creatures?

I know the spell says you're supposed to use the given chart for all humanoids, but it doesn't make a lot of sense that way. Why should a dead orc (for example) have a much greater chance of coming back to life as a human than as an orc?

I don't have a race-specific table, but I do have a hand-written table with every playable race on it that isn't more than +2LA, including subraces (albino drow, gold dwarves, every sort of goblinoid that does not have RHD, etc.).

Now if I can just get the PCs in a position where they need to reincarnate...:smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2014-03-12, 09:37 AM
You could always go by the old AD&D Reincarnate (http://pandaria.rpgworlds.info/cant/rules/adnd_spells.htm#Reincarnate) for animals and magical beasts.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-12, 09:51 AM
You could always go by the old AD&D Reincarnate (http://pandaria.rpgworlds.info/cant/rules/adnd_spells.htm#Reincarnate) for animals and magical beasts.

Been awhile since I've seen that one! The Magic-User version was especially sweet if you rolled Ogre Mage. Even sweeter now...

John Longarrow
2014-03-12, 03:20 PM
MadGreenSon,
I've not seen charts based on original race, but I've seen charts based on the area you are reincarnated in.

Haven't looked for them in a while, but one from a Fey forest had you coming back as a lot of FUN things...

Psyren
2014-03-12, 04:49 PM

Because the nature gods are kind :smallbiggrin:

MadGreenSon
2014-03-12, 05:19 PM
MadGreenSon,
I've not seen charts based on original race, but I've seen charts based on the area you are reincarnated in.

Haven't looked for them in a while, but one from a Fey forest had you coming back as a lot of FUN things...

Oh wow. If you can find that, I was planning on killing a PC (if the sneaky b**stards let me) to make a point soon, and a Reincarnate is all they can swing. I was gonna use my table, but if what you're talking about is fun, I can use that instead, or in addition.

That statement makes me sound like a waaaay nastier DM than I really am, honest. :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2014-03-12, 07:34 PM
Been awhile since I've seen that one! The Magic-User version was especially sweet if you rolled Ogre Mage. Even sweeter now...
Hmm, how did advancement work if you rolled a monster race? Or, heck, any race but human and you were above the level cap for that race for that class.

TuggyNE
2014-03-12, 08:00 PM

Because the universe recognizes that humans are objectively better.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-12, 08:05 PM
Maybe human druids researched the spell? That'd explain why it's human-centric.

SimonMoon6
2014-03-12, 10:32 PM
You could also use the 3.0 reincarnate table.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-12, 10:45 PM
Hmm, how did advancement work if you rolled a monster race? Or, heck, any race but human and you were above the level cap for that race for that class.

Nothing in the spell description or the DMG for the era gives a clue, so I'm guessing you just went on as normal except you are an Ogre Mage now.

D&D was raw and wild back in those wooly days!

Ravens_cry
2014-03-13, 12:28 AM
Nothing in the spell description or the DMG for the era gives a clue, so I'm guessing you just went on as normal except you are an Ogre Mage now.

D&D was raw and wild back in those wooly days!
It sure was. On one hand, this makes for a much more flowing game, but on the other hand, it means that it's even harder to go from one group to the next as each table's ideas on how the game works will differ quite substantially.

SinsI
2014-03-13, 02:10 AM
Is there any way to control what new body you receive from Reincarnate?

A kind of a side question, but do you keep mental adjustments gained from age after reincarnation? I.e. can you play Tatooed Monk 5, reach Venerable age, suicide & reincarnate, get back lost level, reach Venerable age again... Repeat until you have infinitely high mental attributes.

Aharon
2014-03-13, 02:20 AM
I make such tables when needed. It occured two times up to now:

CR 8 Abberations
d%
01 CR+1 Delver
02–13 Athach
14–25 Destrachan
26 CR+1 Spirit Naga
27–38 Mind Flayer
39–42 CR-1 Chuul
43–52 Dark Naga
53–62 Mindshredder Zenthal
63–74 Lifeleech Othyug
75–89 Shadow Flayer
90–93 CR-1 Drider
94 Athach
95–98 CR-1 Phasm
99 CR+1 Elder Psurlon
100 Other ? ? ?
(DM’s choice)

CR1 Monstrous Humanoids
d%
01 CR+1 Kuo-Toa
02–13 Loxo
14–25 Thri-Kreen
26 CR+1 Sahuagin
27–38 Grimlock
39–42 CR-1 Goatfolk
43–52 Nycter
53–62 Whitespawn Hordeling
63–74 Greenspawn Sneak
75–89 Thoon Thrall
90–93 CR-1
95–98 CR-1
99 CR+1 Abeil
100 Other ? ? ?
(DM’s choice)

The second one isn't complete. I'm not sure why (it's been some time), I guess I had problems finding appropriate creatures and hoped for a roll lower than 90.

rmnimoc
2014-03-13, 08:44 PM

I'm willing to bet Zarus got his hands on the reincarnation tables after distracting all the other deities.

Psyren
2014-03-13, 08:56 PM
I'm willing to bet Zarus got his hands on the reincarnation tables after distracting all the other deities.

You mean Pelor? :smalltongue:

But come to think of it, would he necessarily have had to distract them? Look how many of the major deities have human forms. Not just the ones that deal with humanocentric concepts, but even gods of straight-up universal constants like Magic (Boccob), Nature (Obad-Hai) and Death (Wee Jas) have decidedly human-shaped avatars/representations. The entire cosmos is a giant middle-finger to orcs when you think about it.

rmnimoc
2014-03-13, 10:27 PM
You mean Pelor? :smalltongue:

But come to think of it, would he necessarily have had to distract them? Look how many of the major deities have human forms. Not just the ones that deal with humanocentric concepts, but even gods of straight-up universal constants like Magic (Boccob), Nature (Obad-Hai) and Death (Wee Jas) have decidedly human-shaped avatars/representations. The entire cosmos is a giant middle-finger to orcs when you think about it.

Which is kinda weird considering the fact races of destiny pretty much flat out said that every god hates humanity for being what to them is a stupid homebrew Mary Sue race that just sort of poofed itself into existence and became a god because "Humanity Does It Better. Yep. Nearly Everything. Except One Thing, You Are All Waaaaaay Better At Sucking."(paraphrasing what Zarus basically said).

Actually, the fact the other races see humanity as OP BS homebrew might actually be why they are the most likely thing for you to roll for reincarnation.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-13, 11:10 PM
Cast Maximise Reincarnate so you get DM's choice and bribe your DM?
I am at least half serious.

A kind of a side question, but do you keep mental adjustments gained from age after reincarnation? I.e. can you play Tatooed Monk 5, reach Venerable age, suicide & reincarnate, get back lost level, reach Venerable age again... Repeat until you have infinitely high mental attributes.
Pretty sure you can do it in Pathfinder because it explicitly says you retain your mental ability scores, though it's more ambiguous in strict D&D 3.X.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-13, 11:20 PM
Any sensible DM would base mental age bonuses off of chronological age, not biological age. While the game makes no distinction, if the age bonuses were biological in nature (and not based on an accumulation of worldly knowledge), then they would also go away when the subject is stuffed back into an immature body.

But the reincarnate tricks bother me on a fundamental level, as I am a druid by nature.:smallwink:

DeltaEmil
2014-03-13, 11:21 PM
Which is kinda weird considering the fact races of destiny pretty much flat out said that every god hates humanity for being what to them is a stupid homebrew Mary Sue race that just sort of poofed itself into existence and became a god because "Humanity Does It Better. Yep. Nearly Everything. Except One Thing, You Are All Waaaaaay Better At Sucking."(paraphrasing what Zarus basically said).

Actually, the fact the other races see humanity as OP BS homebrew might actually be why they are the most likely thing for you to roll for reincarnation.The Core Gods from the PHB 1 are all deities from various Greyhawkian pantheons that mingled together. Pelor for example might not have been the first or only sungod of Oerth.

SinsI
2014-03-14, 02:32 AM
Any sensible DM would base mental age bonuses off of chronological age, not biological age. While the game makes no distinction, if the age bonuses were biological in nature (and not based on an accumulation of worldly knowledge), then they would also go away when the subject is stuffed back into an immature body.
Oh, not really a problem - you can always move to a fast-time plane and craft magic items.
I just like the idea of a Dalai-Lama-like character that has been reincarnated hundreds of times and has accumulated wisdom of thousands of years.

Wacky89
2014-03-14, 02:35 AM
I have used this one before, it's quite good :)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97009

John Longarrow
2014-03-14, 06:39 AM
MadGreenSon,

If you roll behind a screen you can fake having multiple tables...
Just figure out what fits for your game and "POOF", that's what they reincarnate into. This can be especially fitting if the party needs to go to an NPC caster to get the spell.

NOTE: I tend to go old school for reincarnate. Roll D6, 1-3 male, 4-6 female. Some times this can have some unique consequences in game, especially with the number of female-ONLY pClasses out there.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-14, 06:44 AM
MadGreenSon,

If you roll behind a screen you can fake having multiple tables...
Just figure out what fits for your game and "POOF", that's what they reincarnate into. This can be especially fitting if the party needs to go to an NPC caster to get the spell.

Yeah, I am fully willing to just lie. I just get a kick out of random tables. I always have, ever since the first Lifepath Tables in Cyberpunk or die-while-in-character creation tables in Traveller (which version? I can never remember)

We used to use Rolemaster tables for a few things, but I lost the books and got fond of making my own tables.

Upshot is; I love random tables! :smallbiggrin:

NOTE: I tend to go old school for reincarnate. Roll D6, 1-3 male, 4-6 female. Some times this can have some unique consequences in game, especially with the number of female-ONLY pClasses out there.

Funnily enough, this is one of the few things that I won't do too causally, gender identity can be a bit of a trigger with one or two people in my group.

Even in my bastardy I have a few lines I won't cross.:smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2014-03-14, 07:55 AM

Actually, the fact the other races see humanity as OP BS homebrew might actually be why they are the most likely thing for you to roll for reincarnation.

That isn't a "fact" at all. It's from Zarus' dogma, and racial dogmas are always suspect and to be taken with a very large grain of salt. He presents it as fact certainly, just like Kurtulmak and Grummsh were obviously in the right and the nasty gnomes/elves that wronged them were evil gits.

Hell, I bet even Yeenoghu has a moldy tome lying around somewhere chronicling an idyllic past, where gnolls were once peaceful farmers playing all day in the sun, and everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

ksbsnowowl
2014-03-14, 10:01 AM

The 3.0 True Reincarnate from Masters of the Wild let you roll twice, and take either option. It was a 9th level spell.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-14, 10:37 AM

But the reincarnate tricks bother me on a fundamental level, as I am a druid by nature.:smallwink:

I don't know. The idea of the druid suicide cult is something that might be worth adding to a world I think, though I like when flavour and crunch meld. I also used reincarnate in a backstory for a character who was reincarnated as a child into an adult body. :smallamused:

John Longarrow
2014-03-14, 10:52 AM
Ravens_cry,
I've got just such a group. The order of the Rose. They used to ritually kill themselves every so often to "Experience life anew". Now they have several artifacts that cast true reincarnates 1/day. A party ran across one and didn't know what it was... Made for a nasty "Trap"...

Ravens_cry
2014-03-14, 10:58 AM
Ravens_cry,
I've got just such a group. The order of the Rose. They used to ritually kill themselves every so often to "Experience life anew". Now they have several artifacts that cast true reincarnates 1/day. A party ran across one and didn't know what it was... Made for a nasty "Trap"...

Ooh, now that's just mean.:smalltongue:

John Longarrow
2014-03-14, 12:08 PM
Fortunately Mr. Gnome didn't mind becoming Mrs. Elven, except all their gear was sized for SMALL...

Party was 7th level at the time.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-14, 12:54 PM
Fortunately Mr. Gnome didn't mind becoming Mrs. Elven, except all their gear was sized for SMALL...

Party was 7th level at the time.
Luckily, most female armour is small or smaller.:smalltongue:
Seriously, the only logical conclusion is that males are squishy creatures that require the utmost protection while females are utterly invulnerable except to certain areas.

Arbane
2014-03-15, 04:29 AM
For more fun along these lines, the Pathfinder Witch has a hex called "Forced Reincarnation" - it insta-kills a target who fails a will save, then randomly reincarnates them. My witch never got high enough level to use it, but I was wondering what would happen if I used it on an Aberration...

They also have the Reincarnating Druid archetype (ACF, for 3.5 players). Once per week, when they die, they automatically reincarnate.