PDA

View Full Version : "Damage Rolls" With a bow

PraxisVetli
2014-03-12, 10:01 AM
Gentlemen, Ladies, I have a Question. In order to help our non-ACF, bow-Wielding Ranger keep up in combat, our DM has decided that a bow and arrow each do damage. The problem is, we occasionally run into problems with things like like Deadeye, which states "You may add your Dexterity bonus on damage rolls made with ranged weapons for which you have the Weapon Focus feat, so long as the target is within 30 feet."
The problem is, where does "Damage Rolls" apply? Is it per shot? per arrow?
How would this interact with Manyshot?

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-12, 10:18 AM
Your DM has made some crazy house rule with no basis in the rulebooks. We cannot help you, you are cast adrift in a sea of homebrew.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-03-12, 10:21 AM
Damage roll is, as far as I can tell with context, any 'packet' of damage. So if DR applies to one damage, that's a 'damage roll' to which Deadeye applies. So with Manyshot, it apply to each hit.

Really, your over complicating it. If you hit with your d20, that results is a single damage roll. Doesn't matter how many die are rolled for said damage roll, its a damage roll.

Telonius
2014-03-12, 10:44 AM
Knowing nothing other than what you've put here...

Does the DM allow "Weapon Focus: Arrow" as well as "Weapon Focus: Bow?" If so, the damage would apply twice, since Dead Eye only applies to weapons where you have the Weapon Focus feat. If not, the damage only applies once, since you only have Weapon Focus: (Whatever kind of Bow).

Otherwise, treat it as normal. Meaning, you add your dexterity to the damage total whenever you hit an enemy (who isn't immune to critical hits) within 30 feet.

PraxisVetli
2014-03-12, 11:31 AM
Knowing nothing other than what you've put here...

Does the DM allow "Weapon Focus: Arrow" as well as "Weapon Focus: Bow?" If so, the damage would apply twice, since Dead Eye only applies to weapons where you have the Weapon Focus feat. If not, the damage only applies once, since you only have Weapon Focus: (Whatever kind of Bow).

Otherwise, treat it as normal. Meaning, you add your dexterity to the damage total whenever you hit an enemy (who isn't immune to critical hits) within 30 feet.

Nope, only Weapon Focus: Bow.
Then, sure, the weapon damage applies as "per bow" as we refer to it.
Thanks!
The general reasoning we use is "if it multiplies from Manyshot, its per arrow. If its singularly added, its 'per bow'"
Sneak Attack, for instance, is per bow.
Things like Exit Wound, howevet, are per arrow.
It is kinda funky

TuggyNE
2014-03-12, 07:22 PM
It is kinda funky

"Kinda funky" does not even begin to describe the boundless confusion this houserule produces in my feeble mind.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-03-12, 07:27 PM
"Kinda funky" does not even begin to describe the boundless confusion this houserule produces in my feeble mind.

I suggest making a will save vs insanity.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-12, 08:04 PM

Funky confusion? Funky-fusion?

"Funky fusion" sounds like something straight out of the 80s.