PDA

View Full Version : Letting a player use dustform template?

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 11:19 AM
So this is pure theory, no one at my table is considering this.

How bad/good would the dustform template be, if we removed the Int --, status, and remove the bludge crit weakness, and make it that bluge weapons can crit/sneak attack unlike most weapons on a construct.

Inevitability
2014-03-12, 12:10 PM
Actually, it seems to me like it was intended to be usable for PC's, since it has a level adjustment.

Well, the template gives you A LOT of immunities, combined with damage reduction, more HP, a breath weapon, a slight boost in ability scores, and blindsight. I think it'd be a viable choice for fighter-types with the recommended changes.

Kazudo
2014-03-12, 03:31 PM
Actually, it seems to me like it was intended to be usable for PC's, since it has a level adjustment.

Well, the template gives you A LOT of immunities, combined with damage reduction, more HP, a breath weapon, a slight boost in ability scores, and blindsight. I think it'd be a viable choice for fighter-types with the recommended changes.

And makes you capable of taking Incarnate Construct, which nullifies a lot of (if not all) of those issues. It's actually a great way to do a character type shuffle, since any construct large or larger becomes the Giant type and is officially capable of meeting the prerequisites for any class/template/magical items with a Giant type requirement.

Plus, (assuming generous rules of template stacking), Dustform Creature/Incarnate Construct can be applied in that order repeatedly for a net +0 LA, each time granting STR +4, DEX -2, CHA +2. Any stats at -- or 0 are increased to 3 when Incarnate is layered on.

EDIT:

A fun Template Shuffling trick to do is to get Anthro Baleen Whale (which is actually a 2 RHD LA +0 large Monstrous Humanoid, put it through Dustform Creature/Incarnate Construct a few dozen times (or until your DEX bonus is as low as you can afford to make it), then grant it Primordial Giant, another +0 LA Template which grants invisibility at will.

Immabozo
2014-03-12, 03:42 PM
A fun Template Shuffling trick to do is to get Anthro Baleen Whale (which is actually a 2 RHD LA +0 large Monstrous Humanoid, put it through Dustform Creature/Incarnate Construct a few dozen times (or until your DEX bonus is as low as you can afford to make it), then grant it Primordial Giant, another +0 LA Template which grants invisibility at will.

3RHD, but other than that yes, template stacking shenanigans are ridiculous. I figured out how stacking templates can, by following the rules, break the rules and as a result, other than amazing stats, SLAs and such, you can get a speed around 12,000 ft, which, using the run action, can get you 48,000 feet in a round, which, if I am not mistaken, is about mach 8

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 03:51 PM
speed of sound is 1,062 per hour

The speed of hurrican winds is 118 per hour

in kilometers

the shockwave is great enough at that speed, that hypersonic would break walls with the air pulse, and make the ground molten .

killem2
2014-03-12, 03:52 PM
It's nice. But, there aren't a lot of really nice constructs to use it on that aren't going to make you have a bunch of racial HD and Level adjustments.

My personal favorite is the Maug.

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 03:55 PM
It's nice. But, there aren't a lot of really nice constructs to use it on that aren't going to make you have a bunch of racial HD and Level adjustments.

My personal favorite is the Maug.

what racial hit dice?all it does is make your Dice go to D10

killem2
2014-03-12, 04:11 PM
what racial hit dice?all it does is make your Dice go to D10

If I am not mistake there are zero 1 hd , la +2 constructs out there.