PDA

View Full Version : Warhulk and spells

Lanson
2014-03-12, 11:25 AM
Hey, I was reading over warhulk this weekend and couldn't find any lines of text that restrict the usage of use activated items if the spell is on their spell list. Heck, I didn't see any spell restriction at all. Are they not limited, or did I miss something, cuz a wand of bladestorm (rngr spell lvl 3) would be sick with massive swing

Segev
2014-03-12, 11:40 AM
Nope, they're kosher to use spell trigger items as long as the spell is on their class list.

They can't use UMD, though, 'cause it's a Cha-based skill.

Lanson
2014-03-12, 11:44 AM
I knew the skill restrictions, I just wanted to be sure I read right on the spells. My players may hate me a little bit more now. :smallamused:

Segev
2014-03-12, 11:46 AM
May want to read bladestorm carefully, though. It might override the targeting rather than augment it. And Massive Swing is the one that makes you hit everyone in reach, right?

Anyway, just read it carefully to make sure it interacts how you think it does.

Inevitability
2014-03-12, 11:50 AM
They can't use UMD, though, 'cause it's a Cha-based skill.

So the question is: can we make it key off of a different stat? That'd be awesome.

DM: The hulking monster storms towards you... It pulls out a strange wand, casts a spell and proceeds to attack all of you. Make fort saves vs. massive damage.

Players: :smalleek:

Lanson
2014-03-12, 12:40 PM
May want to read bladestorm carefully, though. It might override the targeting rather than augment it. And Massive Swing is the one that makes you hit everyone in reach, right?

Anyway, just read it carefully to make sure it interacts how you think it does.

Bladestorm lets you make an attack against a number of enemies within your reach equal to your character level, massive swing lets you replace an attack action with a massive swing

Edit: by my reading at least

Segev
2014-03-12, 12:57 PM
Bladestorm lets you make an attack against a number of enemies within your reach equal to your character level, massive swing lets you replace an attack action with a massive swing

Yeah, by itself, Massive Swing lets you hit everything in reach with every melee attack. This is superior in every way to Whirlwind Attack.

If Bladestorm specifically gives you an individual attack against every target, then it would let you attack every target once, and with each attack against a specific target, also hit everyone else in reach.

OldTrees1
2014-03-12, 12:59 PM
Bladestorm lets you make an attack against a number of enemies within your reach equal to your character level, massive swing lets you replace an attack action with a massive swing.

Bladestorm (spell) lets you, as a full round action, attack everyone within reach with each of your weapons

Mighty Swing (WarHulk 4th)/Massive Swing (WarHulk 10th) allow you to affect 3/all squares you threaten with each attack action.

Yeah it looks like you (WarHulk 10 under the effects of Bladestorm) get to attack each person a number of times with each weapon equal to the number of people you are going to attack.

However there are easier ways to do this than a spell.

Try WarHulk 4 with the feats Improved trip and Knock-down(updated in Deities and Demigods and in the SRD)

Your first attack hits 3 targets. This grants you a trip attack against each. A Tripping Mighty Swing is a trip vs the first square and a normal attack vs the other 2 squares. When you trip one of them, you get another attack(Mighty Swing again).

So WarHulk 4 with Knock-down vs 3 foes will attack each 6 times and trip them once. This only used a single initial attack so it can be done off an AoO, a standard action, or part of a full attack.

Lanson
2014-03-12, 03:56 PM
Bladestorm (spell) lets you, as a full round action, attack everyone within reach with each of your weapons

Mighty Swing (WarHulk 4th)/Massive Swing (WarHulk 10th) allow you to affect 3/all squares you threaten with each attack action.

Yeah it looks like you (WarHulk 10 under the effects of Bladestorm) get to attack each person a number of times with each weapon equal to the number of people you are going to attack.

However there are easier ways to do this than a spell.

Try WarHulk 4 with the feats Improved trip and Knock-down(updated in Deities and Demigods and in the SRD)

Your first attack hits 3 targets. This grants you a trip attack against each. A Tripping Mighty Swing is a trip vs the first square and a normal attack vs the other 2 squares. When you trip one of them, you get another attack(Mighty Swing again).

So WarHulk 4 with Knock-down vs 3 foes will attack each 6 times and trip them once. This only used a single initial attack so it can be done off an AoO, a standard action, or part of a full attack.

Mostly I was trying to expand the versatility of the warhulk by taking ast least one level in ranger for wand usage, the bladestorm thing just looked too awesome to pass up. And a single level dip into ranger and a little gold to get more than one trick is arguably better than dropping a few feats in the long run. Though I do agree getting a similar effect from those feats is nice and easy, I can't think of a warhulk I've made/seen that WOULDN'T use that particular feat combo. BTW, I can't help but giggle at the thought of a warhulk using a skillful hanks energy bow with all those nice archery spells and the scaling str bonus to damage as an alternative too a hulking hurler ranged warhulk