PDA

View Full Version : Crafting Reducers by Requirement

RolandDeschain
2014-03-12, 12:03 PM
I'm in need of a citation for how adding skill requirements/alignment requirements/racial requirements for magic items reduces their crafting costs.

Thanks in advance, I'm not just being lazy, I don't have access to materials at this moment.

Diarmuid
2014-03-12, 12:11 PM
Other Considerations: Once you have a final cost figure, reduce that number if either of the following conditions applies:
—Item Requires Skill to Use: Some items require a specific skill to get them to function. This factor should reduce the cost about 10%.
—Item Requires Specific Class or Alignment to Use: Even more restrictive than requiring a skill, this limitation cuts the cost by 30%.
Prices presented in the magic item descriptions (the gold piece value following the item's caster level) are the market value, which is generally twice what it costs the creator to make the item.
Since different classes get access to certain spells at different levels, the prices for two characters to make the same item might actually be different. An item is only worth two times what the caster of lowest possible level can make it for. Calculate the market price based on the lowest possible level caster, no matter who makes the item.
Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren't enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it. Potions and wands follow the formulas exactly. Staffs follow the formulas closely, and other items require at least some judgment calls.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the PC's start using this to make their items cheaper to create, the bad guys they face should be doing the same thing which would make loot difficult to actually use and perhaps even sell.