PDA

View Full Version : Moths to the Flame #2

Eonas
2014-03-12, 01:37 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334142 (OOC thread)

PlayerCharacterClassRace
MrEBarra Kurr (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=812389)WarbladeWater Orc
RaggedAngelKorag (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=824886)BarbarianWater Orc
Shunka WarakinHilfe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=823428)PaladinEarth Dwarf
[tr]Yas392Ysa'la (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=824227)ConjurerLesser Tiefling
GellhornMortimer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=822862)Cloistered ClericHuman
Von StudleyTarwin Aurellius III (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=827106)Dragonfire AdeptHuman

The town of Lux lives a precarious life, besieged on all sides by a dense forest filled with wolves, ogres, and things far less pleasant to imagine. To Lux come the brave and foolhardy, newly-minted adventurers seeking gold and glory by testing their mettle in the innumerable dungeons and ruins surrounding the town.

These adventurers invariably assemble at the local tavern, where the barman (a corpulent fellow who looks like he's far too wise to have seen it all) entertains them all by giving tantalyzing hints about the treasures and monsters surrounding Lux.

You all arrive early, when the tavern is still comparatively empty. Sitting at a table with you are two dwarves. They're both very young, but neither of them looks quite sane. After remaining silent a long time, one of them leans towards you and grins, oddly mirthlessly. "You're new adventurers around here, are you not? In for gold and glory, are you not?" he says, in enunciation so precise and emotionless that he might as well have been a magic mouth.

The other bursts into riotous laughter at the comment, as if laughing at a private joke, and the first continues: "Well, I think you shall find much adventure around Lux. I think you shall find many sparkling treasures and beautiful princesses and slavering monsters to defeat." The other redoubles in laughter.

The first Dwarf's tone suddenly grows more animated. "Not three miles west lies a mysterious goblin cave. Do you dare plumb its depths, and find what lies beneath its murky waters? Or perhaps you would prefer to explore the horrid honeyed hexagons of the Hive, where..."
The other interrupts his friend, whispering "Spoilers!" then resuming his maniacal cackling.

"Why are the local monastery ruins covered in ice? What lies at the mist-shrouded top of the White Pyramid? Is the great oak at the center of the Grove of Stars in fact made of stone? How deep did the dwarves truly mine?"
The second Dwarf abruptly stops laughing, winks at nobody in particular, and adds in a loud whisper: "Only time and curious little cats can tell! But are you really curious little cats?"

MrE
2014-03-12, 04:24 PM
"Hurr, hurr," Barra chuckles, her laugh low and almost feline. "Beautiful princesses ain't really my style. Beautiful princes though... Hurr."

"Who here is goin' adventurin'?" she called out, "I'm looking for some treasure, and everyone knows the best treasure hunters are dwarves." She added the last remark looking at Hilfe encouragingly: "Let's find out how deep those dwarves did dig."

Yas392
2014-03-12, 05:07 PM
Ysa'la must be imagining things. The tavern is different in his vision. There is dancing, there is the contest of ale and these two are mocking him? He picks up his chair that he sat on and slams it to the ground with all his might to show his superiority. Striding to one of the dwarf, he hisses in his ears.

"Are you enemies?"

RaggedAngel
2014-03-12, 05:58 PM
Korag was by all appearances one of the monsters that good adventurers set out to slay: a hulking, heavily armed orc with battle scars and a scowl. But he listened intently and politely to the dwarven siblings all the same, trying to hold all the different locations in his head as they listed new ones. Afterwards he sat in silent, scratching behind one ear and trying to figure out what to say.

The devil-man next to him made up his mind first, smashing a chair against the ground and going off on the dwarves like a lunatic. Korag frowns, his tusks jutting from his lips more sharply than before. "Be polite and listen. They are not enemies, they are telling us our options. Why offend them? I care not for treasure, but treasure would let me buy a better axe."

He holds up his weapon of choice, and it is indeed both old and well-worn, though at the very least it is clean. Well, clean-ish. "A better axe and I can slay dragons better, or zombies, or other monsters. I would be happy to go get some dwarven gold."

Gellhorn
2014-03-13, 12:24 PM
"Gold would be useful. My monastery has a leaky roof, and people don't donate as much as I would prefer." Mortimer gazes at the dwarf who had mentioned the monastery. "Which deity did the monks follow? Boccob?" Mortimer bit his lip, thinking. There was supposedly some of Boccob's clergy around here, but maybe something had happened to them.

Eonas
2014-03-14, 12:32 PM
The first, talkative, Dwarf grins mirthlessly again, apparently oblivious to Ysa'la's comment. "The Dwarven Mines? You wish to explore the Dwarven Mines? They are in the west, in the hills a mile to the north of the putrid bog. You -"

"The Rules! Tell them about the Rules!" interjects the other Dwarf in a sort of half-hiss half-shriek.

"... may each ask us one question, which we will answer to the best of our abilities. Those are the Rules." continues the first, as if he had never been interrupted.

RaggedAngel
2014-03-14, 12:46 PM
Korag leans forward, his chain squeaking in protest under the weight of his bulk and his gear. He squints at each dwarf in turn, considering his question to the best of his ability. Which, admittedly, was not much. "What kind of things will we have to kill?" He finally asks, pleased with himself.

Gellhorn
2014-03-14, 03:39 PM
Mortimer pauses for a few moments, drumming his fingers on the table."Hmm. Please explain why you'll only answer one question each. But for my actual question, how dark is this mine of yours? I can't see in the dark, unfortunately."

Eonas
2014-03-15, 02:47 AM
"Those are the Rules." says the first Dwarf, as if Mortimer had asked the silliest question in the world. He then answers both questions in a row without missing a beat. "Some say that there exist horrible things in the Mines, things of flame and flesh and tooth and tentacle. The Mines used to be lit by countless Dwarven forges, though whether they still are active is doubtful."

At this, the other Dwarf begins cackling as before.

RaggedAngel
2014-03-15, 06:43 AM
Korag leans over to Mortimer, and he murmurs very seriously, "I have simple solution. When it is dark, blink hard, and then use your black-and-white vision. Not as pretty for sunsets and maidens, but gets the job done." He straightens back up, pleased that he has solved the problem.

Yas392
2014-03-16, 12:16 AM
Ysa'la turns and interprets the Korag's chiding as exquisite to his health, surprisingly. His smile is so passive and distant. Instead of hearing the "Be polite and listen. They are not enemies...", it was phrased it differently, "They have something in their minds that they are not telling us. We need to aggravate them so that they fork out what they have been hiding."

Lies! He points his finger at the dwarves, diving into the counter and pops up, facing them with all his integrity. All lies. They have bear cubs in their forges. And they are cute, cuddly and caring. Tentacles and tooths? Preposterous!

Gellhorn
2014-03-16, 07:38 AM
Mortimer turns to Korag and whispers"Humans can't see in the dark, unfortunately. If we could, I wouldn't be afraid of it."

Raising his voice to a normal level, he looks at Ysa'la in confusion. "Who mentioned bear cubs? And why would they be in forges?"

RaggedAngel
2014-03-16, 10:22 AM
Korag frowns, troubled to hear that humans could not see in darkness. It explained many things, but now he would have to remember that. Concerning Ysa'la, not even Korag failed to notice his behavior. The towering orc stands up and walks over, laying a scarred and calloused hand on the tiefling's shoulder. "You are unwell. You should be silent now, and maybe rest. You seem very troubled."

H. Von Studley
2014-03-16, 05:36 PM
Tarwin

"Excuse me Sirs," came a voice from behind them, dripping with sarcasm. Standing before the group was a tall, thin and handsome human, with a rigid posture and a scowl on his face. He was dressed in flowing robes coloured a deep red, and looked rather out of place standing in the dank and dirty tavern.

"Once you're all quite done dealing with whatever this one's problem is," he said, gesturing to Ysa'la, ""I believe I have a proposition you may find interesting.
"My name is Tarwin Aurellius the third, but you may call me "Sir", or "My Lord", whichever you prefer. Clearly you intend to explore the ruins of the Dwarven mines in the hills. You will take me with you. I wish to see them for myself."

RaggedAngel
2014-03-16, 08:41 PM
Korag takes a moment to lift the sundark-glasses covering his eyes, squinting at the newcomer. He seems a bit confused by the man's demand. "You want to come with us? Can you fight? I am big and strong, but not so big and strong that I want to carry your body back here when you get killed. I would still do it, but I would not want to."

H. Von Studley
2014-03-16, 09:06 PM
Tarwin

"You'll find I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself, orc," Tarwin replied haughtily, drawing himself up to his full height and attempting to look down his nose at Korag. The fact that Korag stood a few inches taller did not seem to discourage him.
"In fact, I daresay your chances of survival without me are embarrassingly slim."

RaggedAngel
2014-03-16, 11:21 PM
Korag locks eyes with Tarwin for a long moment, the tension in the room building. Then he bursts into boisterous laughter, grinning widely. "I like you, human. Confidence is good, makes you harder to kill. My name is Korag; I have not yet earned a second name. Tarwin-Aurellius-the-third-sir-my-lord, how did you earn your names?"

H. Von Studley
2014-03-16, 11:56 PM
Tarwin

Tarwin flinched as Korag exploded with laughter, startled by the big orc's reaction. He smiled for a moment in spite of himself before regaining his composure.
"My name is my birthright. I am of the House Aurellius, and our line shares the blood of ancient dragons."

Tarwin stared at Korag's tusks for a long moment, clearly uncomfortable. "I am ...pleased to make your acquaintance, Korag No-name."

Yas392
2014-03-17, 12:20 AM
I am fine, you big oaf. Ysa'la brushes away the orc's hand with matching strength. Eyes beam at the new arrival who purposely, bruised his own ego, and Ysa'la finds it funny, joining the laughter. To him, that is more controlled sort of vision unlike distorting ones that he had. It is to say, the smile is sort of submissive. Hahaha, I am sorry, my Lord. Care to demonstrate how someone like you would be dragon-like? Ysa'la's bows mockingly, smile widening in condescendence if anyone could see his expression, hidden under his hood.

H. Von Studley
2014-03-17, 05:24 PM
Tarwin

Tarwin glanced at Ysa'la and laughed scornfully. "Please. The day an Aurellius stoops to perform on call to some local madman will be a dark day indeed."
Tarwin turned to the rest of the group. "I'm retiring for the evening. I will be ready to depart tomorrow at sunrise. I trust I will see you all then."

And with that he turned on his heels and left as suddenly as he had arrived, cloak flying behind him into the darkness.

RaggedAngel
2014-03-17, 09:13 PM
The group meets the next morning at dawn, as previously agreed. Korag arrives a little before that; the big orc had never needed much sleep, and he was especially eager this morning. He declared that he was a good pathfinder once the group had assembled, and set out in the direction of the dwarven tombs, confident is his ability to properly find the way.

Not trying to cut off any potential conversation, just getting things moving.

Survival: [roll0]

H. Von Studley
2014-03-17, 10:47 PM
As everyone meets at sunrise, Tarwin will take off his armor and cast Endure Exposure on everyone in the party. It functions as the Endure Elements spell, last 24 hours, and will also prevent any effects of his breath weapon from harming them. He'll then put his armor back on.

Will I take 5 Sanity damage as a result?

Gellhorn
2014-03-18, 02:57 PM
"So, are we all here?" Mortimer nudges Tarwin and says "So then, you didn't show us how you were dragon-like the other day. Can you breath fire? Because if you can, that could be useful in these mines we're heading to."

H. Von Studley
2014-03-18, 05:19 PM
Tarwin

Tarwin sighed and rolled his eyes. He seemed to be in a better mood than last night. "Alright fine. But pay attention. This is the last time I do it for your amusement."

Quick as a flash, Tarwin turned on Mortimer, breathing directly into his face. A 15' cone of orange fire streaked out of his mouth, engulfing Mortimer's head and shoulders. Thanks to the effects of Endure Exposure, the cleric felt nothing more than a warm tickle. Behind him however, the ground was scorched and blackened, and little spot fires burned in the grass.

"I also have a version that will entangle our foes. Now are you happy? Can we continue?"

Yas392
2014-03-18, 05:54 PM
The dragon inside. He bursted, freed of his cage in the clarity of standoffishness. He showed everyone why he should be respected as he was inclined by the persistence of these mortals. He touched everyone in sight, granting his boon as to surviving the hazards to come, to survive his wrath, should his temper unchained in the moments to come.

That touched unnerved Ysa'la. He was not touched by heritage that alone decimates kingdoms, ever once. Then, his exhalation of it's signature weapon, shielded eyes until his sparkles remained, his recipient unharmed. The residual was there, however, marking the ground, a permanent reminder of a being suffused into the body of his descendants.

The smiling, relishing face is staring at him. He huffs in displeasure, Ysa'la hears and turns away, choosing to remain focus on the quest that they had committed to. Ysa'la humbles with recognition, whistling romantically. Neither a great chap nor a great buffoon, at least, he is sided with them.

Good. Very, very good!

He claps with enthusiasm.

RaggedAngel
2014-03-18, 07:55 PM
Korag watches the display in awe, taking a moment to clap loudly when the dragonfire dies down. "Tarwin-Aurellius-the-third-sir-my-lord, you have a dragon in you! I will tell tale of this for all my years. I can see how you earned so many names. Come, the dwarven tomb is this way. Let us see how many horrors can stand the taste of steel and flame." The orc has a little more bounce in his step than before, clearly heartened by the display of power.

MrE
2014-03-19, 05:46 AM
As the others chat Barra approaches, and cries out with surprise: "I am impressed Tarwin! You have a breath mightier than Korag's!" she jested at the expense of her kinsman. "Perhaps you can show me if any of your other features are mighty whilst we are away?" Tarwin's handsome face had not gone unnoticed by the licentious orc.

H. Von Studley
2014-03-19, 07:10 AM
Tarwin

"Uh... Yes. Well ah.. Hmm." For perhaps the first time in his life, Tarwin was completely speechless. His cheeks turned brighter than his dragon fire had been as he gave Barra a curt nod.
"That would be, um. ... ...Hmm."
He quickly turned and began walking, stumbling slightly under his ill-fitting armor. "So the tomb is this way is it Korag? Well come on then!"

Eonas
2014-03-19, 10:21 PM
Yup, you will.

Aaand sorry for taking so long to write this up. I'll be more punctual in the future, I promise.

You travel west into the woods. After about an hour of travelling through thick, shadowed woods, the woods finally thin out, leaving a foul-smelling blackish-colored bog in their place. You travel around its perimeter to reach its north end, but halfway through your bog-bordering journey, there are a series of ripples in the bog about 20 feet away, and a large crocodile suddenly emerges from the bog and begins crawling towards you, snapping its jaws viciously!

Spot checks to avoid being caught by surprise:
Barra Kurr: [roll0]
Korag: [roll1]
Hilfe: [roll2]
Ysa'la: [roll3]
Mortimer: [roll4]
Tarwin: [roll5]

Initiative checks:
Barra Kurr: [roll6]
Korag: [roll7]
Hilfe: [roll8]
Ysa'la: [roll9]
Mortimer: [roll10]
Tarwin: [roll11]
Crocodile: [roll12]

Eonas
2014-03-20, 01:42 PM
The crocodile crawls laboriously and slowly towards you. As it comes closer, you can see that some of its scales are beginning to fall off and beneath them its skin is rotting.

Battlemap! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkoIlC3XIcBMdGJTd2lUY0xtWjJreHJ1SE85Z3hfd Wc&usp=drive_web#gid=0)

Now, Mortimer, Hilfe, and Tarwin may go, since they succeeded the spot check.

Gellhorn
2014-03-20, 02:42 PM
"Hey guys, look at that big crocodile! Uh, how do I turn undead again? Uh... Boccob, please protect me from the zombie crocodile!" Mortimer yells as he frantically waves his holy symbol at the crocodile.

Alright then. Let's roll some dice. [roll0] for the turning check, and [roll1] for the turning damage if I'm successful.

Eonas
2014-03-20, 06:12 PM
The crocodile seems utterly unaffected by Mortimer's prayers.

H. Von Studley
2014-03-20, 06:13 PM
Tarwin

"Whoa!" Tarwin yelled, with a huge double take. "Guys! Zombie crocodile!" Tarwin staggered back before turning and unleashing a 30' line of orange fire directly at the crocodile, almost tripping on his robes in his haste.

Tarwin will make his breath an Entangling Exhalation (RotD p 101). Croc will take 1d3 fire damage now (Reflex DC 14 for half) and if he takes damage he'll be entangled for 1d4 rounds. At the start of my turn for the 1d4 rounds he's entangled, he'll take 1d6 fire damage.

Damage: [roll0]
Rounds entangled: [roll1]

If it's a surprise round then that's all he'll do, but if he has a move action as well Tarwin will run 40' to S11 on the grid, activating Expeditious Dodge for a +2 AC dodge bonus.

Tarwin Aurellius III (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=827106)
Male Neutral Human Dragonfire Adept, Level 1, Init +2, HP 10/10, Speed 40
AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 0 **
15' cone or 30' line Breath effect * - (1d6, *)
*Studded Leather (non-proficient), *Wooden Shield (non-proficient) (+3 Armor, +1 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 9, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 13
Condition Current Sanity: 55
Maximum Sanity: 99
Corruption: 0
Depravity: 0

Eonas
2014-03-20, 06:29 PM
Reflex: [roll0]

The crocodile fails to move out of the way fast enough, and is quickly enmeshed by Tarwin's blast of fire.

Eonas
2014-03-21, 03:33 PM
Round 1

The crocodile drags itself forward again beside Korag and Barra Kurr, this time even more laboriously.

Everybody may go now.

Yas392
2014-03-21, 03:41 PM
The smile feels forced for the creature struggling to off his temporary shackles. The holy energy that hit him seemed ineffective because of the poor aim or the connection was not subtle.

Do you think you can blast him with your sacred power again, your holiness? Because what I saw was either a bad aim or bad concentration of energy.

Gellhorn
2014-03-21, 04:29 PM
"Probably the sanest thing I've ever heard you say. Hey, Boccob! That didn't really work, so I don't suppose you could let me try again, could you?" Mortimer shouts, waving his holy symbol about again.

First off, whoops, I used the wrong colour for my previous post. Sorry about that. Secondly, hopefully I won't roll so badly this time. [roll0] and [roll1]

Yas392
2014-03-21, 04:41 PM
No, no, no, this is not how you aim. Let a true disciple of Boccob show you how it is done. Oh, mighty Boccob, I beseech you, grant me the strength to take this unholy creature that hath tainted thine's name by rending thine's woe to the land of eternal rest.

Ysa'la hefts his crossbow, loaded and after immersing himself in his prayers, pulls the level.

Move action to draw crossbow.
Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Oh, why, your mightiness? Why have you forsaken me!

Ysa'la raises his hands to the skies, dramatic in his posture as he watched his bolt, clattered to the ground uselessly as it impacted the rotting hide.

RaggedAngel
2014-03-22, 01:29 AM
Korag watches the two Boccobians sputter about completely ineffectually while the zombie crocodile threatens them. He sighs, unslinging his axe with a smooth, practiced motion. He brings it down on the zombie's head with a grunt of effort, his muscles bulging. His attack is efficient and effective, slicing into the zombie's flesh easily. "Enough foolishness. Stop begging your god to kill this for you, and just do it like a warrior."

Power Attack for 1: [roll0]
Damage (Slashing): [roll1]

Eonas
2014-03-22, 01:46 AM
That made me grin. :smallbiggrin:
Critical fumble confirmation for Ysa'la: [roll0]

Korag's expert blow slices through the crocodile's flesh with ease, exposing its rotting innards - yet the reptile does not bleed.

H. Von Studley
2014-03-22, 02:23 AM
Tarwin

Tarwin snorts with laughter at Korag's remark, before moving behind the orc and letting loose with another burst of orange flame. The flames pass harmlessly around Korag, but scorch the wounded crocodile.

"Hard to argue with that boys. Maybe you should start praying to Korag instead."

The croc will take 1d6 fire damage at the start of my turn from the previous Entangling Exhalation, then Tarwin will move back, putting Korag in between him and the croc. Then another 1d6 of fire, Reflex 14 for half.

Ongoing fire damage: [roll0]
Breath attack: [roll1]

MrE
2014-03-22, 04:01 AM
"Hurr, hurr," Barra chuckled appeciatively as she danced around the crocodile.
"Shhh now, I must concentrate," she declares, focusing on the enemy before delivering a mighty blow.

Sapphire Nightmare Blade (COncentration check vs AC, if successful target is flatfooted and takes +1d6 damage, if failed, attack roll is at -2)
Concentration: [roll0]
Attack Roll: [roll1]
Damage Roll (2d6 for greatsword, 1d6 for punishing stance): [roll2]
Sapphire Night Blade damage: [roll3]

Eonas
2014-03-31, 03:43 PM
The already-burning crocodile lights up in a new blaze of flame, and presently stops moving. When Barra hits the reptile, all she pierces is lifeless flesh.

The encounter apparently completed, you all have leisure to look around you again.
In the center of the swamp about 100 feet away, you see a collection of weeds that's slightly larger than the rest, and in it you spot what's clearly the top ten feet of a stone cave entrance. And inside the cave entrance, there is a faint green phosphorecence.
Have yourselves a rather measly 50 XP. When you're ready to keep moving, we can go adventurin' again.

RaggedAngel
2014-04-01, 12:01 AM
Korag peers around, looking for more trouble. Seeing none, he slings his axe back over his shoulder. "That god-praising is good when it heals, but not in a fight. When we get dwarven gold, I will buy you all axes. Axes are best for killing zombies." He glances towards Barra, and shrugs. "Greatswords are pretty good too, I guess. Now, are you all ready to keep going? We are getting closer."

Spot: [roll0]

H. Von Studley
2014-04-01, 12:24 AM

Tarwin walked over to the steaming croc, poking at it with his foot. "Well I suppose Scales here would agree with you, if I hadn't so thoroughly barbecued him. Perhaps pointy bits of metal aren't the only way to get things done. Though, admittedly they are certainly not ineffective. Now come on, we should keep moving. I don't like swamps."

Yas392
2014-04-01, 12:38 AM
The idea of the undead smiling is too surreal. In death, it is even more scarier. Ysa'la prods the undead filth and jerks away. His head quickly speed that thought. Just take it, that smiley is genuine.

It is not god-praising, it is begging in this bogging land. Throw in some axe, would you? We need more of those flim-flams, you know, for these...

Ysa'la gestures to his and Mortimer's legs.

...stubs that cannot run.

Spot:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]
Listen:[roll2]

Gellhorn
2014-04-01, 12:43 PM
"Hey! I can run. Can't really punch people, or use an axe, but I can run. And as for my "god-begging"? Yeah, it didn't really do much. Thanks a lot, Boccob." Mortimer grumbles, still keeping a distance from the dead crocodile.

[roll0]

Gellhorn
2014-04-01, 12:47 PM
"Hang on, do you see that over there? It looks like a cave entrance. Is that what we're supposed to be heading to?"

RaggedAngel
2014-04-01, 02:39 PM
Korag squints in the direction indicated, and after a long pause he notices the subtle glow of the entrance. "That? Don't think so. We're not in the right place. Might be worth looking at, since it's right there. Anyone want to go with me? There might be another croc in the swamp, and good warriors take a friend with them to a fight."

H. Von Studley
2014-04-01, 04:51 PM
Tarwin shrugs nonchalantly. "We came all this way to explore a hole in the ground, and there's one right there. Why are we even discussing it? I'll go with you Korag."

MrE
2014-04-01, 07:10 PM
"Korag and Tarwin are both right and handsome!" Barra adds concurring. "We should go that way. I could always do with more gold."

RaggedAngel
2014-04-01, 08:02 PM
Korag acts as though he does not hear Barra's remark; it is remarkably poor acting, and he is clearly flustered by being called 'handsome'. Instead of responding he splashes out towards the entrance, his axe once more in hand and his eyes scanning for trouble.

Yas392
2014-04-01, 08:47 PM
But that's where we are supposed to be going, isn't it? The green glow tells it.

Ysala keep himself on dry land, carefully lifting up his folds and jumping to avoid the pools of grim. Catching up to Korag, Ysa'la notices him moving ahead and his hood sways like he is coughing...but it is actually mirth and sultry as he edges nearer to the entrance.

But, really you shouldn't be embarrassed about it. Fufu, you know she's right.

H. Von Studley
2014-04-01, 09:00 PM
Tarwin follows behind Korag, summoning as much dignity as possible as he slogs through the deep murky water. His eyes are constantly moving as he scans the depths for any sign of movement.

Eonas
2014-04-02, 02:45 PM
The swamp stinks even more than it could be expected to, but thankfully is only about 3 feet deep. Nevertheless, it is so opaque that it's impossible to see your own feet or what lies at its bottom - though you do feel occasionally things brush or slither past your legs as you slog through it. The slog itself is arduous, too, as the swamp's floor seems to consist of particularly insidious mud.

Finally, you arrive at the cave, brushing past the rotting weeds surrounding it and looking at it from 15 feet away. The cave seems to an odd, almost artificial stone structure: a sort of hollow semidome, 30 feet from end to end and rising 10 feet above the marsh's water. Its interior is covered with patches of phosphorescent green moss, and you feel a vague sense of evil radiating from it.

There seem to be inscriptions of some type on the cave interior.

MrE
2014-04-02, 03:52 PM
"Hah, this swamp is not so bad. If it was a bit deeper it would remind me of home." Though come to think of it, Barra hadn't been this dirty in a while. She was really coming to like living like a human woman.

"Well let's head in!" Barra advances into the cave.

[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2014-04-02, 03:59 PM
Korag sniffs the air heavily as the group reaches the cave. The tall, powerful orc had repeatedly forced himself to slow down through the marsh to wait for the smaller and more fragile members of the group, and now that they were all in place he was eager to get going. "Be ready for danger, friends. I do not like this place, which must mean this is a good place for us to be."

As he moves to enter the cave he pauses, having noticed something. "There is strange writing in there. Some kind of trap or spell?"

Yas392
2014-04-02, 04:14 PM
Ahhhh...Phew! Balancing himself on solid non-swampy ground, Ysa'la takes in the cave. Not so glaringly dangerous, obviously.

[roll0]

What's this? The imprints on the interior is the words of magic but he had since abandoned the path of the magister. He chose a more practical path of a renegade, reading deciphered language and creating new pragmatics. But looking at the them increase an amount of stress. The magic he had casted on himself and the magic radiating from the caern reacts negatively towards each other. Gugh! This is... He crouches, reality slightly distorted.

H. Von Studley
2014-04-02, 06:28 PM
As Korag pauses, Tarwin wades over to stand by his side. "Writing eh? Let me take a look at it. One of our servants while I was growing up was something of an expert in deciphering scripts. He taught me a little. Of course, that was before Mother had him beaten for dropping plates. His mind was sharp, but those trembly old fingers were just were just useless."

Decipher Script: [roll0]
I assume I don't need to roll a spot check because Korag pointed it out, but just in case: Spot:[roll1]

Eonas
2014-04-04, 11:42 AM
As you enter the cave, you all are able to properly see the inscriptions on the walls. They are mainly crude images of humanoid-looking forms eating, swimming, and hunting strange dolphinlike creatures with harpoons.
The inscriptions don't seem to follow any kind of script or hide any special messages - to all appearances, they are meant to communicate simply what the image depicts.
At the back of the cave, you all see that there is a small area where the swamp water bubbles, for no apparent reason.

Gellhorn
2014-04-04, 12:42 PM
"Great, now these pictures are making me hungry. Which is odd, considering the smell." Mortimer grumbles as he trudges through the cave.

Yas392
2014-04-04, 03:36 PM
Uhhh, swampy dolphins? Ysa'la squeaks out while trying to clear his head. There are images and there's a pool in the cave like those outside.

H. Von Studley
2014-04-04, 05:21 PM
"Hmph." Tarwin grunts irritably. "There's no script there. Bloody savages." As he turns and draws his Liquid Sunlight, casting light around the dark room, he notices the pool.

"...why is that bubbling?" he asks as he backs off nervously. His eyes are fixed on the water, and he bumps into Barra behind him.

RaggedAngel
2014-04-04, 09:48 PM
Korag advances towards the bubbling section of swamp, his axe in hand. "Is there anything I should kill in that water, you mean? I will find out."

MrE
2014-04-05, 04:37 AM
"Helloooo," Barra coos as she finds Tarwin bumping up against her, and then teases him: "If you get scared, Barra will look after you."

Stepping up behind Korag, she moves to the bubbling water with her weapon held out before her.

Search: [roll1]

Yas392
2014-04-05, 05:28 AM
Flopping out his backpack, Ysa'la retrieves a handful clad in opaque. The dragon who lost his confidence resonates with his nerves that are tensing up at his reeling. The hooded tiefling is just behind Korag and Barra, half of his figure hidden as he tilts his body to one side.

Marbles on hand.

Gellhorn
2014-04-05, 09:06 AM
Drawing his crossbow, Mortimer takes a step back and aims at the bubbling water.

Ready to fire his crossbow when something appears from the bubbling water.

Eonas
2014-04-08, 12:36 PM
Forgive the delay in posting - I had temporary misgivings about my evil DM plans.

Several moments pass, and the water keeps bubbling. Suddenly, the bubbling stops and there is a very short but frenzied swooshing of water around where the bubbles used to be - and then that, too, abruptly stops, leaving only stillness in the murky swampwater around you.

RaggedAngel
2014-04-08, 10:09 PM
Korag frowns, clearly disappointed at the anticlimax. "Well. Uh. Was something supposed to happen? Something jump out at us, like another zombie or perhaps a possessed goblin or..."

He trails off, still visibly upset, his eyes still fixed on the water. "Dammit. I wanted to hit something."

Yas392
2014-04-08, 10:51 PM
False Alarm? I suppose this dungeon is cleared out by some adventurer?

Ysa'la lowers his throwing arm, spins his head quizzically to see if the thing that causes the sizzling of the pool emerge faster than their senses could conceive. He still have no reason to stow away his marbles.

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]
Sense Motive (Hunch of that thing from the pool and other impending dangers) - [roll2]

H. Von Studley
2014-04-09, 08:27 PM
Tarwin sighs with exasperation and picks up a handful of rocks/dirt/mud/whatever comes to hand and throws them into the water where the bubbling was. If nothing happens he will launch a cone of fire over the whole area. If still nothing happens, he will turn to the group; "Well I'm not sure what I expected from some swamp cave in the middle of nowhere, but this is rather boring. Perhaps we should continue."

Eonas
2014-04-12, 11:04 PM
Ysa'la looks around and sees nothing unusual but a few more little bubbles around the same spot as before.

As might be expected, the rocks fall into the swamp water with a plonk, and the fire only results in a profusion of steam where it hits the water.

RaggedAngel
2014-04-15, 01:36 PM
Korag huffs, disappointed. He points his axe towards the door of the swampy little room. "I told you this wasn't the place. I know where I'm going, more or less. We have a little ways to go before we reach the dwarven tomb. Let's go." If no one else moves, he is the first out the door back into the swamp.

H. Von Studley
2014-04-15, 07:25 PM
With an exaggerated sigh Tarwin turns and follows behind Korag, back out into the swamp.

Yas392
2014-04-15, 08:55 PM
Just wanting to make sure that this is just a cavern thrice, Ysa'la traces the scrunched lines of the rocky structure at the side. He draws from his compendium of knowledge. He tosses a moderate weighed rock into the bubbly pool with his unnatural, otherworldly strength.

Spot - 20-1=19
Search - 20+5=25
Listen - 20-1=19
Knowledge (History) - [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana) - [roll1]
Knowledge (Religion) - [roll2]
Knowledge (Planes) - [roll3]
Knowledge (Nature) - [roll4]
Strength check (for fun) - [roll5]

Umph...too heavy. He notices that he is weary from the expedition so he replace it with a small pebble.

Gellhorn
2014-04-16, 11:49 AM
"Well, that was anti-climactic" Mortimer says as he follows Tarwin and Korag out of the cavern. "I was expecting something odd to happen there"

MrE
2014-04-17, 04:50 AM
"Well, we shall have to make sure our other adventures make up for it," Barra suggests. She joins Korag at the front, in case they come across any more enemies, and to make sure he knows where he is going.

Eonas
2014-04-17, 12:35 PM
Ysa'la suddenly realizes that the images on the walls resemble images that have documented throughout history (the earliest case being almost a millenium ago, in an artificial cave not unlike this one). These particular images seem to have been made comparatively recently, however.
And again the rock hits the water with a slight splash. The stream of bubbles have by now completely died out, leaving only the ripples caused by the rocks.

Sorry about the sidetrack. The idea was to open up a bunch of other avenues for exploration in true open-world style, but that kind of miserably failed. Welp, back to your main objective, unless there's something else you want to try out here.

You all slog out of the swamp and continue your journey to the dwarven mines. The forest remains thick and oppressive, and the more you advance into it, the more you find it difficult to keep a reasonably straight line as you thread your way past clumps of trees, bushes, vines, and otherworldly plants. You hear sounds, too: there are half-chirpings, half-cackles, and far-off howls so savage that no wolf could have made them, and snakelike hisses which sound disturbingly humanoid and articulate. Yet nothing actually confronts you, and with time, you arrive at a sheer cliff face.

The cliff seems to be about 20 feet tall and stretches to your left and right as far as you can see (which doesn't account for much, as the forest blocks vision down to about 15 feet or so). There is a door in the cliff face in front of you, probably 10 feet high and 10 feet wide. It seems to be forged out of iron, with a smaller door crafted within it (not unlike how a catflap exists within a larger door).

RaggedAngel
2014-04-17, 01:19 PM
Korag grins broadly as the door appears, his tusks jutting out proudly. "See? I told you I knew the way, and here we are. Now, does anyone know how to look for traps? If not, I'll just bang on it and hope nothing blows up in my face."

H. Von Studley
2014-04-17, 06:16 PM
Tarwin steps past Korag and examines the door thoroughly, looking for any signs of traps or writing. "I definitely like the 'bang on it' plan Korag, but perhaps a cursory glance mightn't be a terrible idea. Though if I'm honest, I don't know exactly what I'm looking for."

Taking 20 on a search check, +1 INT. And don't worry about it Eonas, I think we probably would've hung out in the cave a bit longer, but these aren't the most patient bunch of characters. :smalltongue:

Eonas
2014-04-22, 10:58 AM
Tarwin finds no traps or writings on the door - to all appearances, it is made with pure function in mind. There are, however, lock mechanisms on both doors.

Yas392
2014-04-22, 05:01 PM
Ysa'la is slightly lagging behind but his allegedly quick flight had herded him to the same spot as his companions. Interesting find. Someone must be here recently. A message from the previous cave.

He muses, putting his right hand on the fabric where it is suppose to be his chin.

No magic or anything? Is it easily breakable?

Knowledge (History) - [roll0]
Knowledge (Architecture) - [roll1]
Spellcraft - [roll2]

MrE
2014-04-23, 04:21 AM
Barra watches the others inspecting the door for a bit, and then tries to find a route up the cliff: maybe they could get in from above? That was lateral thinking for you. Barra feels very pleased with herself. "Tell me when it's open boys!" she called. She then begins to climb.

[roll0]

Eonas
2014-04-28, 11:16 AM
Ysa'la determines that the door is, to all appearances, a regular dwarven set of doors, the kind that dwarves have been using for some time in their mines and castles and the like. These are designed to be defensible (certainly, they are rarely weak enough to be broken by anything less than powerful magic or a battering ram), but most times are left completely undefended - generally unlocked, if not open.

When Barra reaches the top of the cliff, she finds a level plateau, less thickly forested than the area below. About a hundred feet away, she sees what seems to be a sort of stone well on the ground.

RaggedAngel
2014-04-28, 03:38 PM
Korag calls up to Barra, growing bored. "Anything up there? My axe tells me it is time to rid the world of evil." He glances towards the doors, frowning. "So none of us can pick locks? We should try to fix that soon. Locks are common."

Yas392
2014-04-28, 05:30 PM
Ysa'la concludes after studying the lock. Try the door. Dwarven design. Should be unlocked most of the time. If they were shut, we will need a ram.

MrE
2014-04-28, 05:54 PM
"Give me a second," she calls, moving to investigate the well. "Some sort of well up here. Seems a bit of a stupid place for one," she calls down to the rest of the group.

Search check on the well. Take 20 if possible, if not: [roll0]

Eonas
2014-05-01, 01:38 AM
When Barra examines the well, she finds it's not actually a well. Instead, it is a chimney, leading about 20 feet down into what's probably some type of large stone room (how large, she cannot tell - her limited vision looking down the chimney only allows her to see a very small portion of the room), its floor covered with small rocks.

The rocks are some type of ore containing a dark silverish metal.

MrE
2014-05-01, 06:15 AM
Barra throws another quick glance into the well/chimney thing.

As an orc, she has 60ft darkvision. Not sure if this will help here.

Then she turns around and yells: "It's a chimney. There's a room in 'ere. If you guys wanna come up, bring my donkey and dog with ya. I'm gonna take a look around." With that she climbs into the chimney and begins to investigate.

Climb check if necessary: [roll0]
This is literally one of Barra's two skills, I'm using it for all it's worth!

RaggedAngel
2014-05-02, 05:51 PM
Korag's eyes go wide when it becomes clear that Barra plans on venturing into the ancient ruin alone. He rushes to the cliff face, climbing up the stone with prodigious strength. Untrained, inefficient strength, but strength nonetheless. "Wait!" He yells up after her. "Don't go in alone, wait for me!"

Climb: [roll0]

Take 10 if he can.

Yas392
2014-05-02, 08:33 PM
Ysa'la hollers after the orcs after he realises something. Once you are inside, unlock the door for some of us who could not even climb like you two, will ya?

Ysa'la return to the door, trying to see if he can remove the lock and the door with his strength.

STR check - [roll0]

H. Von Studley
2014-05-03, 05:42 AM
Suddenly worried that the two brawniest characters are leaving, Tarwin calls out as well.

"Wait! Let down a rope and we'll all come up!"

RaggedAngel
2014-05-04, 01:41 AM
Korag gets to the top of the cliff and looks back over the edge, fishing through his pack for something. "A rope is a good idea! Here, hold on to the end of this. Use your feet to keep yourself off the wall, and I will do the rest."

His meaning becomes clear once one of you takes a hold of the hempen rope he sends down. As soon as it seems like you have a good grip the powerfully-built orc begins hauling you up the cliff, gear and all. He is more than strong enough to pull up all of the members of the party; the only climbing anyone else needs to do is preventing themselves from being scraped against the cliffside as he heaves you up.

H. Von Studley
2014-05-04, 01:57 AM
Tarwin's arms are almost wrenched from their sockets as the powerful orc pulls him upwards. Once he's safely at the top Tarwin looks relieved, almost grateful, before he quickly catches himself and gives Korag a haughty look.

"Hmph. You know I'm more than capable of doing it myself Korag."

Striding briskly to the chimney, Tarwin peers down into the depths. Unable to see into the darkness, he will breathe another line of fire downwards, attempting to illuminate the area.

Eonas
2014-05-05, 05:04 PM
Tarwin sees what the others had seen, albeit more fleetingly. The cone of fire doesn't seem to have had any other effect on the room.

As Ysa'la strives to break open the lock, he finds to his probable surprise that the door simply swings open. It had not been locked all along.
Inside, you see a long unlit passageway, ten feet wide and carved in stone. Along it on both sides (and at the other end of the passageway) are many wooden doors.

Yas392
2014-05-05, 06:01 PM
Aha. Hahahahahaha!

Ysa'la is not surprised but someone must have been here. His vision seems to be normal back there and now. Could it be the energy emitted by the display? The images blur between imaginary and reality but he shakes his head as to what he is seeing. He checks for anything suspicious before proceeding.

You sure took the long way, you three. Have you even try the door? Mortimer, after you.

Listen (Take 20) - 20-1=19
Spot (Take 20) - 20-1=19
Wisdom check for bad hunches - [roll0]
Search (Take 20) - 20+5=25

RaggedAngel
2014-05-05, 08:52 PM
Korag grimaces when he looks over the cliff to see the open door. "When I ask if anyone can check the door for locks, and they say they can, I assume that they actually try to open it. I will make fewer assumption in the future." He looks over to the others on top of the cliff. "Let's just go back to the front door. No need to be separated."

MrE
2014-05-06, 01:27 AM
Barra nods, surprised to be abandoning yet another place without having fully explored it. She retreated down the cliff and joined up with the others before entering, drawing her donkey and dog behind her.

Yas392
2014-05-06, 01:57 AM
No, I did not give you indication to check the door. It is mostly unlocked, I said and you did not trust my knowledge. Ysa'la cradles his hips in hysterics after he answered half-jokingly.

Eonas
2014-05-08, 12:50 AM
Ysa'la faintly hears the sound of clattering, coming from somewhere to the right of the corridor area. He doesn't find or see anything apart from the obvious, except that the dust in the passageway is unsettled.

H. Von Studley
2014-05-08, 01:10 AM
Tarwin sighs with exasperation and follows the group back down to the entrance. He'll wait for the orcs to go first and then follow behind.

Yas392
2014-05-08, 01:35 AM
Keep your ears up, dragon man, handsome man and cheery woman. There is reverberation from the right corridor.

Ysa'la keeps his eyes peel to the right, narrowing his eyes to a slit.

RaggedAngel
2014-05-08, 07:30 PM
Korag bangs his axe on the wall, and before anyone can stop him he shouts into the hallway. "Anybody in here? I am not for skulking around. I don't crouch well. If you are here, and are evil, come let me kill you. It will be faster this way." The orc smiles, flexing his muscles as he adjusts his grip on his greataxe,

Eonas
2014-05-11, 11:59 PM
The clattering suddenly stops when Korag cries out.

However, you hear footsteps around where the clattering was coming from, slowly creeping towards the passageway you are at the entrance of.

H. Von Studley
2014-05-12, 12:04 AM
Listen: [roll0]

Lol. I'm not sure Tarwin even heard Korag.

RaggedAngel
2014-05-14, 12:06 PM
Korag peers into the darkness, disappointed. His ears are not the best in the world. "Damn, it looks like nothing is coming. What now? We just walk in there?"

Pathetic listen: [roll0]

Yas392
2014-05-14, 04:47 PM
Still the sound eludes him. No, he must be dreaming still.

Listen - [roll0]

H. Von Studley
2014-05-14, 07:29 PM
Tarwin shrugs, peering forward into the darkness. "I suppose. Whatever that was could have just alerted its friends, but we'll have to go through them either way, so may as well start now!"