PDA

View Full Version : Wind walk (Gaseous form) and move silence

Baldin
2014-03-12, 03:56 PM
Hi all,

I have a question that came up in our last session. We had to move silently through a maze, we chose to cast Wind Walk and move. The spel however does not state that the misty form makes no sound or gives a bonus on move silently.

What does the playground think?

Thanks and cheers
Baldin

Troacctid
2014-03-12, 04:15 PM
Wind Walk propels you with wind. They'll be able to hear the wind; it will sound like wind. (I don't know if there's a Listen DC listed for wind, but "An owl gliding in for a kill" is DC 30, if that helps.)

Curmudgeon
2014-03-12, 05:13 PM
Wind Walk moves you around via wind, so you're going to make wind noises instead of the normal movement noises you would generate in solid form. This just changes the nature of the noise you wish to suppress via Move Silently; it doesn't make the skill checks unnecessary. Wind Walk refers to Gaseous Form, which says you can't cast spells with verbal components, and you can't activate magic items including command word items. Basically, you can't make any vocalizations. So that's the other component of normal noise generation, in this case a benefit vs. the noises of (accidental) loud breathing and speech. I think it's reasonable to give a +2 circumstance bonus to your Move Silently checks because you're incapable of making verbal noise.