PDA

View Full Version : Magic ways to give a sword a ranged attack?

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 04:00 PM
Anyways to give a sword , ranged attack?

Like those things you see in fantasy or east asian combat scenes, where the person uses energy or ki to hit someone clearly outside the swing range, by "projecting" or cutting the air to send a shockwave towards the target.

Diarmuid
2014-03-12, 04:23 PM
There are a few classes that have the ability to channel spells through weapons; Duskblade, Spellsword, Ruathi Battlemage.

Beyond class abilities there are some spells that can do things similar to this, blade weave (SpC) is one iirc.

D20ragon
2014-03-12, 04:24 PM
Well, a Flame Tongue sword is one way.

Snowbluff
2014-03-12, 04:27 PM

Like those things you see in fantasy or east asian combat scenes, where the person uses energy or ki to hit someone clearly outside the swing range, by "projecting" or cutting the air to send a shockwave towards the target.

Well, there is a spell that tosses your weapon and does damage in a line. Refluff? :smalltongue:

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-03-12, 04:31 PM

Sorry but D&D doesn't allow Non-Casters to be mid to high fantasy.

Besides going caster or using magic items... You have to resort to homebrew or perhaps "throw anything" and throw your sword and refluff it as an energy attack...

Non-Casters play on LotR level while casters play on the level of Scion.:smallfrown:

Nihilarian
2014-03-12, 04:37 PM
I forget the name, but there's a magic sword in Book of Exalted Deeds that does this. I think it's even as an attack action, so you can make a full attack.

Edit: It's the Nightblade of Arvandor (BoED p. 115). Turns out it's a standard action, but it specifically says you shoot as many stars as you have ranged attacks, so for some it might be even better. I'd like to make a roguey character that uses one.

Stoneback
2014-03-12, 04:38 PM
Throwing returning, re fluff.

Kaeso
2014-03-12, 04:41 PM
Throwing returning, re fluff.

This seems like the most viable RAW solution, but still has a big problem: swords cannot be thrown effectively unless you go through a slew of otherwise useless feats, and even then I think they can only be thrown up to about 10 ft.

roguemetal
2014-03-12, 04:43 PM
No magic ways to give a sword a ranged attack, but with Spell Thematics you can make magic attacks look like sword swings.

Metahuman1
2014-03-12, 04:43 PM
I think there's one or two dessert wind maneuvers that do this in Tome of Battle. So, just change Dessert Winds Damage type to something that works across the board like force and your good. Oh, and TWFer's will love you forever if you do that.

Urpriest
2014-03-12, 04:46 PM
Graft Weapon plus Blood Wind should do it.

Cuaqchi
2014-03-12, 04:47 PM
There's also a magical weapon enhancement that allows a sword to transform into a bow (and vice versa) with a command word. Not quite what you're looking for and bloody expensive for the effect but there is that.

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 04:56 PM
I forget the name, but there's a magic sword in Book of Exalted Deeds that does this. I think it's even as an attack action, so you can make a full attack.

Edit: It's the Nightblade of Arvandor (BoED p. 115). Turns out it's a standard action, but it specifically says you shoot as many stars as you have ranged attacks, so for some it might be even better. I'd like to make a roguey character that uses one.

That isn't really all that bad, really pricy, but custom magic item may be able to reduce the price.

Okay D&D mathmatics, for something that cost 44,315 or 22,315 crafted .... What methods can we use to reduce the price and how far would it go?

Cursed, ONly allowed by a race, the usual homologous and feats that would reduce costs.

Ziegander
2014-03-12, 04:57 PM
There's always the Blood Wind spell. Just research a spell that does exactly the same thing but with either any melee weapon or any manufactured melee weapon, enchant a weapon with it, and you're golden. You can find it in the Spell Compendium, I believe.

EDIT: That sword is pretty damn good, too. The effect itself (shooting stars as a standard action) costs a flat 32,000gp, so you should be able to add it on to any weapon you want through crafting for 16,000gp. Still expensive, but you're paying for quality. If you're 6th level, for example, and hasted, then as a standard action you get to make three ranged touch attacks out to... any(?) distance within line of sight/effect for 1d8 damage each. Based on how the ability is worded, I'd say you get an extra star from the Rapid Shot feat, too, and not even at a -2 penalty. If you can find ways to apply extra damage to those stars (sneak attack is an obvious way, but there are others) it can start to up add up quickly. The fact that it's a standard action helps to make it really shine (pun intended).

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 05:05 PM
There's always the Blood Wind spell. Just research a spell that does exactly the same thing but with either any melee weapon or any manufactured melee weapon, enchant a weapon with it, and you're golden. You can find it in the Spell Compendium, I believe.

does that also work with unarmed tob maneuvers?

Ziegander
2014-03-12, 05:08 PM
does that also work with unarmed tob maneuvers?

IIRC, no. I think the rules are weird regarding unarmed strikes not being natural weapons for some idiotic reason, but I may be wrong.

Nihilarian
2014-03-12, 05:11 PM

EDIT: That sword is pretty damn good, too. The effect itself (shooting stars as a standard action) costs a flat 32,000gp, so you should be able to add it on to any weapon you want through crafting for 16,000gp. Still expensive, but you're paying for quality. If you're 6th level, for example, and hasted, then as a standard action you get to make three ranged touch attacks out to... any(?) distance within line of sight/effect for 1d8 damage each. Based on how the ability is worded, I'd say you get an extra star from the Rapid Shot feat, too, and not even at a -2 penalty. If you can find ways to apply extra damage to those stars (sneak attack is an obvious way, but there are others) it can start to up add up quickly. The fact that it's a standard action helps to make it really shine (pun intended).I imagine it'd be a decent option for a scout that doesn't want to dip barbarian or cleric.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-12, 05:19 PM
I think your best option is the raumathari battlemage. They specialize in casting a bunch of evocation spells channeled through their bastard swords. That's basically exactly what you're looking for right?

Cast fireball through your sword and you get to add to its DC and ignore material components.

Pew Pew! Sword blast!

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 05:28 PM
IIRC, no. I think the rules are weird regarding unarmed strikes not being natural weapons for some idiotic reason, but I may be wrong.

The subject can take a full attack action to use all of its natural weapons or unarmed strikes as if they were thrown weapons with a 20-foot range increment.

Your looking at the savage species version, which did not include unarmed strikes.

Rebel7284
2014-03-12, 05:31 PM
Bloodstorm Blade from Tome of Battle.

Ziegander
2014-03-12, 05:44 PM
Your looking at the savage species version, which did not include unarmed strikes.

Ah, indeed I was. In any case, no, I should've mentioned it earlier, but initiators cannot use strikes with ranged attacks period. They always have a range of melee and their description always says that you make a melee attack as part of their initiation. Blood Wind just lets the creature treat its unarmed strike/natural weapons as thrown weapons, which, despite rolling a melee attack roll, are still made as ranged attacks.

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 05:47 PM
Are you sure, some threads are saying that if you have a posioned attack or such, that the person would be posioned also through the blood wind attack.

Ziegander
2014-03-12, 05:51 PM
Are you sure, some threads are saying that if you have a posioned attack or such, that the person would be posioned also through the blood wind attack.

I'm not sure how that has any relevance to initiating maneuvers through a thrown weapon. If you have a poisoned dagger, and you choose to throw it, the struck target can still be poisoned by any contact or injury poisons you've applied to the dagger. The same is true for a poisoned unarmed strike/claw attack that you are somehow able to throw (say, via Blood Wind). But that doesn't mean you can initiate maneuvers with it. The poison's effect doesn't have to be delivered through a melee attack, it just has to be on a weapon and the weapon has to hit and/or deal damage. Strike maneuvers, on the other hand, must be delivered through a melee attack.

You could use Boosts to augment your attacks and then throw them to gain the Boost's benefits on a thrown attack, but you can't initiate strikes with a thrown weapon except via the Bloodstorm Blade PrC.

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 05:58 PM
*thinks...*thinks*thinks

Greater Mighty Wallop?

Rebel7284
2014-03-12, 06:06 PM
The bloodstorm blade specificall CAN treat ranged attacks as meelee, thus using maneuvers at range.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-03-12, 06:14 PM
Nightblade of Arvandor. That's one weapon I never ever tried to get a hold of.

Waaay too much room to abuse it. (For the record, my group spent years banning me from using any classes with casting... And this was before I'd even played one.)

Let's see... I think combining it with the Fighter ACF Targeteer would work best. Extra attacks like crazy, or sacrifice them for one attack with a very large critical threat range.

Someone mentioned mentioned Bloodstorm Blade. Come claim your cookie.

The PrC lets you perform Iron Heart strikes with thrown weapons as a class ability, and even treat your ranged attacks as melee attacks. THIS is the class you want, if you're going primarily melee, but want to hit just as hard at range.

Accept no substitutions.

Derpldorf
2014-03-12, 06:47 PM
Use the cantrip Stick to glue a hand crossbow to your hilt. Behold! My masterpiece.

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 06:54 PM
*cries* I was totally inlove with a crusader/soul eater combo, if I had known about this, I think I might have actually tried to build it.

<-< just seems like a nice "class feature"

NoACWarrior
2014-03-12, 06:57 PM
I've been posting about Incarnum for several threads now, it seems like I'm an incarnum fanboy... :smallfrown:

Anyways, if you want a throwable magic weapon which ALWAYS returns to you, pick up Shape Soulmeld: Incarnate Weapon feat. The weapon can be improved with your essentia pool - if you are an Asurian, or have the bonus essentia feat you can make it a free magic weapon.

On top of that, take the Throw Any Thing feat. This will allow you to have proficiency with throwing said weapon. Remember thrown weapons have a default increment range of 10 ft with a maximum of 5 increments with a -10 penalty.

Eldonauran
2014-03-12, 06:59 PM
You can buy a longsword bow (or the Shortsword/Greatsword versions) from the Magic Item Compendium and refluff the "ranged attack" made buy the bow form as a long ranged sword attack. Changing the form is a free action and you can alternate between ranged and Melee attacks during a full attack action.

You won't get your strength bonus to damage on the ranged attack (unless you pay extra for higher composite) but its a good start.

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 07:19 PM
Besides fluff, the question was not ...

How can I throw my weapon , it was, how can I project the weapon, and blood wind does it perfectly.

RedMage125
2014-03-12, 07:26 PM
Am I the only one here who immediately thought of Link's Master Sword for the OP's question?

Shooting beams out of the sword, and such.

Nihilarian
2014-03-12, 07:29 PM
Am I the only one here who immediately thought of Link's Master Sword for the OP's question?

Shooting beams out of the sword, and such.You are not.

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 07:30 PM
that mirror shield...

Keld Denar
2014-03-12, 08:02 PM
The Whirling Blade spell in both Complete Arcane and the Spell Compendium is exactly the Master Sword beam attack. Its 2nd level, so a wand of it is cheap. It is completely CL independant too, which is useful. You can use all melee feats and effects with it like Power Attack or Spellstoring. Very nice.

Zetapup
2014-03-12, 08:26 PM
That isn't really all that bad, really pricy, but custom magic item may be able to reduce the price.

Okay D&D mathmatics, for something that cost 44,315 or 22,315 crafted .... What methods can we use to reduce the price and how far would it go?

Cursed, ONly allowed by a race, the usual homologous and feats that would reduce costs.

If this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0) cost reduction handbook is right, you can get it down to 3.8% the original cost. 3.8% of 44,315 is... about 1684gp. Not bad.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-12, 09:12 PM
The Whirling Blade spell in both Complete Arcane and the Spell Compendium is exactly the Master Sword beam attack. Its 2nd level, so a wand of it is cheap. It is completely CL independant too, which is useful. You can use all melee feats and effects with it like Power Attack or Spellstoring. Very nice.

That, however isn't what the OP wanted.
Don't worry I too feel the pain of rejection :smallfrown:

Possession of said sword needs to be with the caster at all times, where the ranged attack can be any thing from a bolt of energy (Link's Master Sword ability) or a copy of the sword flying through the air (Triple Sword from the Sword and the Sorcerer).

Edit: needing correct terminology and added something which may be useful

How about Lightning Blade from Complete Arcane? If we could figure out how to auto renew it or imbue it onto a sword we'd get a ranged attack option.

Keld Denar
2014-03-12, 11:32 PM

The sword is making a melee attack, at range, with Whirling Blade. How is this not what the OP wanted? It's 60', or 120' with Enlarge Spell (a +1 MM). Its available in wand form for a non-caster with UMD. You have a sword, you attack with it at range. Done and done.

Nettlekid
2014-03-12, 11:47 PM

Oh my god, that's pretty amazing. It would be perfect for a Scout to trigger Skirmish with a regular old move action, but then get as many ranged attacks as you have with your single standard.

It also doesn't list a range or range increment. Super sniper build?

ericgrau
2014-03-12, 11:56 PM

If you mean a little beyond what you could normally hit, then a shadowstrike weapon seems to be what you're looking for. It's +5000 gp on any weapon. 1/day you get an extra 5 feet of reach and catch the foe flat-footed. It "reaches through your own shadow".

If you mean a full blown ranged attack out to a great distance, I don't think most sources will let you step on the toes of a bow so much. But you might find some kind of ranged spell attack in place of the weapon's regular damage. You could for example refluff a ring of the ram as a weapon enchantment. Or refluff a swordbow.

Reach gauntlets add 5 feet 3 times per day. 500 gp IIRC
Greatreach bracers add reach too but with different fluff. You could always refluff them. 3/day, 2,000 gp

Unfortunately all these are swift activated and only last 1 round, or you could stack them.

Ziegander
2014-03-13, 12:01 AM
The sword is making a melee attack, at range, with Whirling Blade. How is this not what the OP wanted?

[...]uses energy or ki to hit someone clearly outside the swing range, by "projecting" or cutting the air to send a shockwave towards the target.

[...]

Besides fluff, the question was not ...

How can I throw my weapon , it was, how can I project the weapon, and blood wind does it perfectly.

That's how Whirling Blade is not what the OP wanted. Because he said so. Whirling Blade is not the Master Sword attack at all, it's you throwing your blade through a whole line of enemies before it returns to your hand. Not remotely the same thing. More powerful and useful perhaps, but that's irrelevant because it's not what the OP wants to do.