PDA

View Full Version : killing a magic immune vampire lord for good?

Raishoiken
2014-03-12, 04:10 PM
a friend of mine and I had a short debate recently concerning vampire lords. He's made a creature (through some third party sources we use) that has the vampire lord template and a demilich's magic immunity (which we've a mutual ruling concerning what it covers and what it doesn't in our games). I just reviewed the vampire lord template and I was wondering: would it be impossible for the creature to come back since it can't be affected by an unhallow spell, or can it not be kept from coming back because it's immune to consecrate? Is it just the area being affected by consecrate,or directly affecting the vampire, making it immune?

docnessuno
2014-03-12, 04:41 PM
A magic-immune creature CAN be affected by unhallow, as Magic immunity equals "Unbeatable SR" and unhallows does not require a SR check on its own (but, as the spell says, SR might apply to the various spells effects).

Raishoiken
2014-03-12, 06:25 PM
A magic-immune creature CAN be affected by unhallow, as Magic immunity equals "Unbeatable SR" and unhallows does not require a SR check on its own (but, as the spell says, SR might apply to the various spells effects).

I probably should have elaborated that we've basically ruled that depending on what the effect is, the immunity may or may not apply. It's touchy only because it also goes on, for demilichs and adamantine golems that it applies to supernatural effects too, which don't allow SR. in cases like the Orb spells in the spell compendium. The spell is conjuring acid and propelling it, the magic itself is not affecting the creature. The orb spells are something that we'd allow to work. Summon monster, however, wouldn't. Not in the a summoned monster wouldn't affect it, but you couldn't choose to specifically summon that creature, as you're trying to directly affect it with magic, is how we would normally rule. Where the disagreement comes is when dealing with consecrate and unhallow