PDA

View Full Version : Quality Melee Abilities

Ziegander
2014-03-12, 05:11 PM
Are these feats? Are they class features? I don't know, and at the moment I don't care. I just had some thoughts that I wanted to put into words. Use them however you'd like (some tweaking may become necessary).

Cleave (Ex)
Requirements: Str 13
As a standard action, make a melee attack against each creature within a semi-circle area with a radius equal to your reach. When you use this ability roll only a single attack roll and compare that attack roll to the AC of each creature you attack in this way. Roll only a single damage roll to determine how much damage each struck creature is dealt. Even creatures you hit are entitled to a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Str modifier).

Whirlwind Attack (Ex)
Requirements: Str 15, Cleave, Character level 5th
As a full-round action, move up to half your speed, making attacks against each creature in your threatened area as you continue to move. When you use this ability roll only a single attack roll and compare that attack roll to the ACs of creatures you attack in this way. Roll only a single damage roll to determine how much damage each struck creature is dealt. Even creatures you hit are entitled to a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Str modifier).

Cyclone (Ex)
Requirements: Str 15, Dex 13, Cleave, Whirlwind Attack, Character level 9th
As a full-round action, make two attacks against each creature in your threatened area. For this attack you have reach as if you were one size category larger (or +5ft, whichever grants the better reach). When you use this ability roll only two attack rolls and compare their results to the ACs of creatures you attack in this way. Roll only a single damage roll for each of these attack rolls to determine how much damage each struck creature is dealt. Creatures you hit with this ability are not entitled to a Reflex save for half damage.

Hurricane Slash (Ex)
Requirements: Str 17, Cleave, Whirlwind Attack, Character level 9th
As a full-round action, move up to your speed, making attacks against each creature in your threatened area as you continue to move. When you use this ability roll only a single attack roll and compare that attack roll to the AC of each creature you attack in this way. Roll only a single damage roll to determine how much damage each struck creature is dealt. Even creatures you hit are entitled to a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Str modifier). Creatures you hit that fail this save are knocked back 10ft. Enemies up to 10ft outside your threatened area suffer half your attack's damage (Reflex negates).

Weapon Flurry (Ex)
Requirements: Dex 13
Whenever you attack with a single weapon you may accept a -2 penalty to your attack roll to make an additional attack with that weapon against the same target. This attack is made at your highest attack bonus but also with a -2 penalty.

Second Skin (Ex)
You ignore the Max Dex Bonus, Armor Check Penalty, and any speed reductions and restrictions of armors and shields you wear and are proficient with.

Iron Reflexes
Requirements: Dex 15, Character level 6th
You no longer benefit from Deflection, Dexterity, or Dodge bonuses to AC or Reflex saves. Instead you have DR X/– where X equals half your base Reflex bonus + your Dexterity modifier, + any deflection bonuses you have, + any dodge bonuses you have.

Iron Skin
Requirements: Str 13, Con 13, Second Skin, Character level 3rd
You gain Damage Reduction overcome by adamantine while you wear armor or carry a shield equal to half your armor and/or shield bonus. This DR can stack with itself, but not with other sources of DR you may have. If your armor and/or shield is magic or made of adamantine, then your DR is overcome only by magic adamantine weapons. If your armor and/or shield is magic and made of adamatine, then your DR is overcome by nothing (in this case, this DR can stack with other sources of DR X/– you have).

Unwavering Stance
Requirements: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Second Skin, Iron Reflexes, Iron Skin, Character level 9th
You are never flat-footed nor surprised and are immune to critical hits, death by massive damage, sneak attacks, stunning, and paralysis; however, you suffer a -4 penalty to AC and Reflex saves.

Just to Browse
2014-03-13, 12:04 AM
I'm not a fan of the cleave tree. Attack roll and reflex save is pretty weak. Though it could work for clearing weaker mooks.

Tacitus
2014-03-13, 01:58 AM
Do I see PoE keystones as feats or class features? Thats bloody awesome. Now I need to make my pantsless old man in D&D. XD

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-03-13, 02:24 PM
Are these feats? Are they class features? I don't know, and at the moment I don't care. I just had some thoughts that I wanted to put into words. Use them however you'd like (some tweaking may become necessary).

Cleave (Ex)
As a standard action, make a melee attack against each creature within a semi-circle area with a radius equal to your reach. When you use this ability roll only a single attack roll and compare that attack roll to the AC of each creature you attack in this way. Roll only a single damage roll to determine how much damage each struck creature is dealt. Even creatures you hit are entitled to a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Str modifier).

Whirlwind Attack (Ex)
Requirements: Str 15, Cleave, Character level 5th
As a full-round action, move up to half your speed, making attacks against each creature in your threatened area as you continue to move. When you use this ability roll only a single attack roll and compare that attack roll to the ACs of creatures you attack in this way. Roll only a single damage roll to determine how much damage each struck creature is dealt. Even creatures you hit are entitled to a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Str modifier).

Cyclone (Ex)
Requirements: Str 15, Dex 13, Cleave, Whirlwind Attack, Character level 9th
As a full-round action, make two attacks against each creature in your threatened area. For this attack you have reach as if you were one size category larger (or +5ft, whichever grants the better reach). When you use this ability roll only two attack rolls and compare their results to the ACs of creatures you attack in this way. Roll only a single damage roll for each of these attack rolls to determine how much damage each struck creature is dealt. Creatures you hit with this ability are not entitled to a Reflex save for half damage.

Hurricane Slash (Ex)
Requirements: Str 17, Cleave, Whirlwind Attack, Character level 9th
As a full-round action, move up to your speed, making attacks against each creature in your threatened area as you continue to move. When you use this ability roll only a single attack roll and compare that attack roll to the AC of each creature you attack in this way. Roll only a single damage roll to determine how much damage each struck creature is dealt. Even creatures you hit are entitled to a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Str modifier). Creatures you hit that fail this save are knocked back 10ft. Enemies up to 10ft outside your threatened area suffer half your attack's damage (Reflex negates).

Weapon Flurry (Ex)
Requirements: Dex 13
Whenever you attack with a single weapon you may accept a -2 penalty to your attack roll to make an additional attack with that weapon against the same target. This attack is made at your highest attack bonus but also with a -2 penalty.

Second Skin (Ex)
You ignore the Max Dex Bonus, Armor Check Penalty, and any speed reductions and restrictions of armors and shields you wear and are proficient with.

Iron Reflexes
Requirements: Dex 15, Character level 6th
You no longer benefit from Deflection, Dexterity, or Dodge bonuses to AC or Reflex saves. Instead you have DR X/– where X equals half your base Reflex bonus + your Dexterity modifier, + any deflection bonuses you have, + any dodge bonuses you have.

Iron Skin
Requirements: Str 13, Con 13, Second Skin, Character level 3rd
You gain Damage Reduction overcome by adamantine while you wear armor or carry a shield equal to half your armor and/or shield bonus. This DR can stack with itself, but not with other sources of DR you may have. If your armor and/or shield is magic or made of adamantine, then your DR is overcome only by magic adamantine weapons. If your armor and/or shield is magic and made of adamatine, then your DR is overcome by nothing (in this case, this DR can stack with other sources of DR X/– you have).

Unwavering Stance
Requirements: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Second Skin, Iron Reflexes, Iron Skin, Character level 9th
You are never flat-footed nor surprised and are immune to critical hits, death by massive damage, sneak attacks, stunning, and paralysis; however, you suffer a -4 penalty to AC and Reflex saves.

I like them, it seems to push mundanes closer to medium fantasy.

I hate feat chains, if you make them feats you should just allow the feats to scale by level.

The cleave line would make for a great scaling class feature for the Fighter.

I'm working on something akin to these types of feats though they will be made to be class features of the Fighter and Monk that other noncasters can take (at level -4).

Also instead of a specific ability score being a prerequisite, Why not say something like...

Prerequisite: Physical ability modifier total of +3 or higher.

This way someone who is Dexterous with a decent to high Constitution could refluff the ability as they are using their bodies differently to thee same effect. DC can be based on the highest physical ability mod.