PDA

View Full Version : Help with an elf ra(n)ger!

Felvion
2014-03-12, 05:27 PM
Hello there!

I'm having some trouble with a character I have created and I will explain in almost full detail. For those not interested in reading the whole post I would really apreciate an ACF for spell casting in a ranger. It shouldn't be spell-like stuff cause I don't like magic anymore (in character) and would rather be something martial focused. Also don't bother to suggest anything allready printed cause i've read them all (or i think so!), just homebrew stuff you would find interesting.

For all those interested in reading the whole story behind this it's more of build advice.

Few months ago we were about to start a new campaign. All i knew was that it would be a low stat, kinda core limited and definatelly low op campaign.
For various reasons I came up with a wood-elf ranger that would be introduced as a "bodyguard" for the female elf wizard the party had.
Sadly I got shocked to know that we would go for dragonlance so no wood- elves, I got stuck with just a qualinesti for the dex bonus. My starting character was like this:
STR:14
DEX:16
CON:12
INT:10
WIS:13
CHA:8

Feats: Power attack
and i was going for the archery style with a falchion (background based).

So far so good, I was happy with character in terms of flavor cause it reminded me the very first one i had ever created and also had an interesting background. As for power I wouldn't say he was anything special, just supposed to fill every hole in a party of 6. Of course, considering the other PCs i felt really badass in terms of optimisation.

Everything was great at the very start except one really serious problem. Every session, I ended up eiter dying or dead. I'm sure the DM fudged numbers to prevent the later more than once or twice. At first i was ok with it cause i knew i was fragile anyway and a confirmed crit at lvl 2 is equally bad for everyone.
At levels 3-4 we had realised there was a true cleric among us, proof the gods were back again. In addition my ranger felt really greatful towards the cleric and her gods, it was due to their help he was still alive.
I took Iron Will at lvl3 and raised WIS to 14 to justify my character's tension to spirituality and divine devotion. These, assisted by a cloak of res +2 were supposed to help me deal with the lots of casters wondering around.
They also served as prerequisites for my lvl4 "connection" with a deity to get the ac and spells.

Wrong! I kept dying and spent almost half of every session unconsious! Rightfully i was nicknamed Kenny!

I privately discussed it with my DM, he confirmed i had just been unlucky with specific rolls and suggested patience.
I started playing more cautiously but still, i kept falling! Meanwhile i could somehow cast but no sign of my companion. It was true (and my DM's official excuse which seemed quite reasonable) that there had not been a proper situation to justify a divine "connection", even though i tried a lot. I was full of unanswered prayers while disappointent of my condition soon turned into frustration which grew more and more inside me (in character ofc:smallamused:).

During last session (currently lvl5, midway to 6) we were in a really tough situation. I had a 60% roll to save the party. The other option was to let this to the rogue who had higher chances but bad guys were playing between us in initiative and it was a really tough call. I decided to take my own chances, it was undoubtable my elf would act this way, all the hesitation was ooc.
I died in a fancy way and it was my DM that convinced me again not to tear that character sheet apart.

I said ok but radical changes had to take place. I was angry to the gods that didn't appreciate my faith to them, not answering my prayers (not a definite sign from a specific deity and ofc no animal companion). I decided to turn my back to them and change my character as much as I could towards this direction.This involved the following:
-Next level is some variant of barbarian 99%.
-I will have to come with some kind of agreement with my DM to replace the godgiven features.
As for the companion he suggested Improved Trip, Weapon Focus with my C.Longbow and toughness (Homebrew 1hp/lvl). He thinks this makes up for the meatshield and martial support a wolf would provide. I think it's more than i could ask. I raise my hp from 33 to 38 (we roll them), the trip is awesome and the +1 to the longbow is always welcome. TBH i feel its more than i would get from a rangers animal companion and definately makes me better in all these unpleasant (up to now) melee situations.

The other feature i would trade is the spells. He warned me i wouldn't get much for this and I haven't come to anything cool yet thus I would like some suggestions. Keep in mind that next lvl will be a variant barbarian....

Finally, when the barbarian lvl shows up i think i will trade fast movement in order to keep my good reflex saves like i was still a ranger but this is still under discussion.

So, what do you think about the character progression and what would you suggest as apropriate acf for him?

Xerlith
2014-03-12, 07:04 PM
How about some Martial Adept in your forest? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174397)

As for the barb level, grab a Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian level. You'll get an additional attack AND pounce. With the Ranger variant above you regain maneuvers by movement. So... Yeah. It should work out.

Also, by the gods, retrain Iron Will for something else...

holywhippet
2014-03-12, 07:08 PM
Well, here is a list of ACFs: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1151316

I'd consider the Spell-less Ranger variant from complete warrior.

The main thing you aren't being clear about is what exactly is nearly killing you. Is is a matter of poor saving throws? If so, which type of saving throws?

Felvion
2014-03-12, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the answers so far. I usually post from my phone and didn't realise the size of the first post.... Anyway, we are kind of core limited in a special way. Almost anything is accepted by the DM as long as there is a reason for it. That being said I suppose he's ok with the rage and barbarian cause the PC is filled with anger and frustration driving him crazy. This justifies a rage ability. But not the fast movement. Not even pounce. I should also mention here that ToB is not an option no matter what same as psionics.
The spell-less variants are good but they depend on me keeping up with the ranger which i won't... Unless he suggests a rage-ranger variant, something between barbarian and ranger which somewhen came to the table.TBH i was temted by the extra hp even though i couldn't justify this one.

Overall i've died by all means possible. Last time i failed a reflex save. I had +9 and the dc was 16. A bad roll (3 or 4) and i took 29 points of damage out of 33 total hp... After that it was easy.
In earlier levels, when we were a bit behind in wbl, my ac was poor so every time i failed my hide i was half dead. Another time i took an Inflict wounds of somewhat 30 dmg. I had to roll lower than 7 to miss the save and i made it... I've boosted my saves and my ac as much as i could reasonably afford but it seems hps are an issue too.

So the fact is that i was meant to be a sniper or somekind of loneguy. Being responsible and protective to the party has made me vulnerable to situations i would rather stay away. Contrary I chose, in character, to stay and fight while i could (sometimes) had secured myself. This is something i can't change cause its part of the personality...

Urpriest
2014-03-12, 09:24 PM
What's the problem with the Complete Champion variant that just trades your casting for bonus feats? Too weak for you?

Callin
2014-03-12, 09:45 PM
Why go Barb? Why not go Druid. The gods have spurned your pleas and prayers maybe the primordials or nature will answer. Then you still have your nature themed character and if the DM is generous you could maybe start to retrain your ranger levels for druid levels.

Felvion
2014-03-12, 09:54 PM
What's the problem with the Complete Champion variant that just trades your casting for bonus feats? Too weak for you?

IIRC since i'm now afb, this variant lets you take a feat at lvl 4, 8 etc. This is not good for two reasons: first, i plan not to be a ranger for long, multiclassing into barbarian right next level. That would mean only one bonus feat when i could get something special. Second reason, i dont really feel i need a feat. At 6 i get pbs and it seems that i'm better than ok featwise regarding my level. Would you suggest a specific feat? Keep in mind that whatever may choose i have to explain how my character acquired it. For example it couldn't be leap attack since i rarely charge.

Felvion
2014-03-12, 09:59 PM
Why go Barb? Why not go Druid. The gods have spurned your pleas and prayers maybe the primordials or nature will answer. Then you still have your nature themed character and if the DM is generous you could maybe start to retrain your ranger levels for druid levels.

I tried that and got a huge no. For him the druid is a cleric variant in damn dragonlance...

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-12, 10:21 PM
For a fightery Ranger, take these:

-Skilled City Dweller (Cityscape Web Enhancement; Ride for Tumble)
-Spiritual Connection (Complete Champion)
-Trap Expert (Dungeonscape)
-Strong-Arm Ranger (Dragon Magazine #326)
-Solitary Hunter (Dragon Magazine #347, get something for not having an animal companion!)
-Arcane Hunter (Complete Mage)
-Champion of the Wild (Complete Champion, get permission for this to work with simple combat feats that have the Strong-Arm bonus feats as prerequisites)

And dip Spirit Lion Totem Wolf Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian.

holywhippet
2014-03-12, 11:28 PM
You could consider saying that your character has decided they have to commit themselves more fully to the gods and become a cleric. Take the luck domain to give yourself a reroll if you think you've failed a saving throw.

I don't quite understand why your DM isn't letting you having an animal companion. Having something like a wolf is of great benefit as they can make trip attacks for free if their bite attack hits. They can also lock down enemy casters by standing next to them and making AoO's when they try casting.

Xerlith
2014-03-13, 03:34 AM
I have some problems with how your group treats fluff (It's not married to the mechanics...), but if I were you, I'd talk with your DM and ask to make your Ranger casting arcane. No ASF in light armor, Int-based casting. Or even wis-based and fluffed similarly to the sorcerer's. Because why not?
After all, Rangers and Druids do not gain spells from prayer, but from communing with the nature itself.

Also, if the DM disallows you your CLASS FEATURE I think you should talk with him a bit. Bit more forcefully, that may be.
This is about the animal companion as well as about the Barb features.

It's one thing to be flavorful, entirely another to be rendered unplayable.

Taffimai
2014-03-13, 05:11 PM
My initial suggestion was going to be to ask whether he'd let you have an animal companion on par with a druid's in exchange for the spellcasting, but apparently that's a no-go.

So, since you're effectively looking to replace both spellcasting and the puppy (which is only fair), ask whether you can just have rage? Possibly at a slower rate than the barbarian (1/day at level 4, 2/day at level 8 etc.)?

holywhippet
2014-03-13, 05:57 PM
I don't know that rage will help the character though. If they focus on archery then they aren't going to get as much from raging excepting bonus damage (presuming they have a suitable bow). Also it sound like low AC and bad saving throws are too of the big killers.

Nihilarian
2014-03-13, 06:47 PM
Your DM is actively gimping you. It's ridiculous. The Animal Companion isn't even that strong, but it would certainly help. The fact that you have died over and over again and the DM is still withholding class features is crazy. Is he like this with the other group members?

Xerlith
2014-03-13, 07:47 PM
My solution for you - Just go to him and tell him you're having less and less fun from the game.
Then enter Wizard. Then Abjurant Champion. Win the game without trying, never look back.

Ranger4/Wizard2/AbjChamp5/Eldritch Knight 9 will take you wherever you want.

No, really, we can't help you with your build if you are being given scraps of class features instead of what should be. Ask for a homebrew (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6075.0) and fluff it convincingly.