PDA

View Full Version : I need some optimization help for a cleric

Sahegian
2007-02-02, 10:56 AM
I'm playing with a new group of players that is much more heavily into character optimization/minor cheese than I am. I was looking at some of what they have planned for their characters and I realize that I'm going to be way outmatched. I thought I would throw myself on the mercy of the boards and the rules-geniuses herein to help me out.

I want to play a divine caster most likely using a 2 hander and possibly a large race. I'd like to fill the role of melee combatant while still having a good bit of magic at my disposal. I can use any WotC book and a bit of cheese isn't particularly problematic. We are starting out at 5th level and can take up to a +3 LA race. The only race exceptions are that Assmiar, Tiefling, Mephling, Chaond, Zenythr and Shadowswyfts are considered templates with +1 LA and can only be gained ingame. We are using a retardedly high stat set. It is 20, 18, 18, 16, 16, 14. The world is based heavily on Faerun and will be using those gods. There is also a decent possibility that we will end up being an evil party.

I am currently leaning towards straight cleric, but I am not hugely experienced in the land of divine casters especially with the abundance of books available for use. I am completely clueless as to race. I have almost always played core races throughout my D&D experience.

I am completely out of my element in this game. I don't want to play a character who is an absolute turd the whole game while everyone else is destroying baddies with reckless abandon. Looking through the board posts it looks like there have been some decent core only posts recently about melee clerics, but I'm sure that can be helped considerably with all of the available splat books.

I would be extremely greatful for any recommendations, comments, suggestions, or cupcakes you guys wish to share.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-02, 11:12 AM
Do you mean you get an LA +3 race/template for free? Or that you can start with up to +3 LA at ECL 5? Big difference there

Setting the template aside for a moment: Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell) sounds like just the thing for this sort of game. Divine Metamagic is in complete divine; it lets you sacrifice turning attempts to apply metamagic on the fly and without increasing spell level. Initiate of Mystra is also good, since it'll let you cast in an Anti-Magic Field, but that's for eventually.

Sahegian
2007-02-02, 11:15 AM
The second option. The races arn't free. It is 5 ECL and up to +3 LA, so level 2 with a +3 LA race.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-02, 11:22 AM
Here's a sample build for an evil cleric: be human. Take the Planning (grants Extend Spell) and Undeath (grants Extra Turning) domains. 20 STR, 18 WIS, 18 CHA, 16 CON, 16 DEX, 14 INT.

1: Extend Spell, Extra Turning, Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell)
3: Extra Turning

With 18 CHA, that nets you 3+4(CHA)+4(Extra Turning 1)+4(Extra Turning 2) = 15 turning attempts. That's enough to persist 2 spells. You can cast third level spells; good targets for your divine Persists are Spikes (Spell Compendium) on a quarterstaff (and have some Oils of Shillelagh), and Bull's Strength (can't afford a +4 item yet).
That'll get you STR 24, and +2 weapon that gets +5 to damage instead of +2. +9 to hit, +15 damage.

You'll eventually work your way up to persisting Divine Power and Righteous Might, and buying Nightsticks so you can persist more things.
--
6: Power Attack
9: Divine Spell Power
12: Imp. Bullrush
15: Shock Trooper
18: Leap Attack
or something.

Suzaku
2007-02-02, 11:26 AM
Pick a 0 La race Put that 20 into wis and one 18 into str, pick up extend spell, persistent spell and divine meta magic persistent spell.

Suzaku
2007-02-02, 11:27 AM
Or you can put that 20 in Str or Wis or what ever.

Sahegian
2007-02-02, 11:31 AM
Thanks Bears. I'll definitely check those out. Any reason you chose the quarterstaff instead of some other 2-hander? I get some freebie items at creation so I might as well make them count.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-02, 11:35 AM
Thanks Bears. I'll definitely check those out. Any reason you chose the quarterstaff instead of some other 2-hander? I get some freebie items at creation so I might as well make them count.

Because the Quarterstaff is a valid target for the Spikes spell, and you are proficient with it. The only important thing is that it's a wooden two-handed weapon. Of course, Oil of Shillelagh (cheap) will make it do 2d6 base damage (since it'll be treated as two size categories larger), so the base damage is the best you'll get with a simple weapon, too. The end result will be a +2 to hit, +5 damage, 2d6 (with the Oil) quarterstaff that does piercing and bludgeoning and has its threat range doubled (to 19-20).
You could find a better weapon you can use two-handed and have it made out of Ironwood, i suppose, to have it still be a legal target for Spikes (wooden weapon).

What items do you get?

Sahegian
2007-02-02, 12:06 PM
Here is the item information he sent me.

All PCs will Start play with one +2 weapon one +1 Weapon Armor or Shield at +1 one Ring costing less then 4000 Gold one minor Magical Item to be worked out with the GM before game start and 10,000 Gold to be spent where they like (also to be worked out with the GM before start of Play).

I imagine I have a little wiggle room if I want to change something as long as I stay within a similar wealth range.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-02, 12:10 PM
Get a +1 Ghost Touch (or something) quarterstaff. The 4000 gp item should be a Ring of Counterspells--store a Dispel Magic in it. Get a +1 Fullplate.
For the 10,000 gp, buy a Periapt of Wisdom +2, a Ring of Protection +1, and some Gauntlets of Ogre Strength (+2 STR)--when you have the latter, persist Divine Favor (+2 AB/damage, +3 next level) instead of Bull's Strength.

Sahegian
2007-02-02, 12:13 PM
Thanks again guys.