PDA

View Full Version : Feats at every odd level?

droppedbutnot
2014-03-12, 07:54 PM
One of the more frustrating aspects of building some character concepts is that I find myself wishing I could take more feats. So I'm about to run a new campaign for my group--it's been a few years since I was the GM. Anyway, I'm thinking about having all characters get feats at odd levels, instead of just at first, third and every third level thereafter.

What do you think about this? Has anyone else tried this? What are the pitfalls? I expect I'll have to add feats to all the monsters as well, right? (That sounds like fun.)

I don't know. I think this will allow players more options, which to me sounds like they'll enjoy it. This would also mean that Fighters would be feat machines, which could help them even more.

Help oh wise ones.

:cool::cool::cool:

Admiral Squish
2014-03-12, 07:59 PM
Well, pathfinder does it, and it seems to work fine for them.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-12, 08:24 PM
A lot of prereqs were written assuming that your character is 3rd/6th/9th/etc level, so you might see some oddness there. You might wind up delaying feat (and by extension PrC) access by a level, but that's about it as far as downsides go.

Kaje
2014-03-12, 08:25 PM
My thought is that there are some combinations of things that will be delayed. Like there are PrCs that are designed to be available at level 7 if you take a feat like , for example, Leadership at 6. Well, now you can't take that till a level later.

EDIT: Ninja'd

droppedbutnot
2014-03-12, 09:28 PM
My thought is that there are some combinations of things that will be delayed. Like there are PrCs that are designed to be available at level 7 if you take a feat like , for example, Leadership at 6. Well, now you can't take that till a level later.

EDIT: Ninja'd

I see your point. It would delay some feats. Granted, I can't say I mind nurfing Leadership. But there may be similar circumstances.

Esprit15
2014-03-12, 09:58 PM
One of my GMs does it and it works fine.

droppedbutnot
2014-03-13, 07:10 AM
In the end, the players will enjoy having more options. Going form 7 to 10 feats will be a good improvement, I think.

gr8artist
2014-03-13, 11:01 AM
We play pathfinder, and the extra feats are nice. We also give ability score increases at every even level, though we sometimes use a lower point buy system.
I highly reccomend it. Who doesn't want to give a terrasque 30% more Toughness feats?

Segev
2014-03-13, 04:40 PM
Yeah, it should work fine; just be willing to knock a feat's level prereq down by 1 if players ask and failing to do so would delay it.

droppedbutnot
2014-03-16, 10:05 AM
Thanks, all. This is helpful.