PDA

View Full Version : Letting Whips have (EX) Improved Grab?

CyberThread
2014-03-12, 10:26 PM
Would letting whips, have (EX) improved grab, have any real unforseen problems?

Talya
2014-03-12, 10:28 PM
Would letting whips, have (EX) improved grab, have any real unforseen problems?

no thoughts on balance, just keep in mind:

Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature.

You'll need to specify that it works on targets as large as whatever you want it to effect.

VoxRationis
2014-03-13, 12:02 AM
The only people I know of who get whip proficiency for free are bards, who aren't too good at grappling due to generally low Strength. I don't see it being used too much, save for Indiana Jones ripoffs.

Talya
2014-03-13, 08:21 AM
The only people I know of who get whip proficiency for free are bards, who aren't too good at grappling due to generally low Strength. I don't see it being used too much, save for Indiana Jones ripoffs.

While not "free" per se (more of a feat tax), most warblades will have Whip Proficiency with an hour's notice.

Shinken
2014-03-13, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't give it for free. Not everyone that knows how to use a whip can do this. Probably a 'improved whip grab' feat or something.
In 3.0 you could simply use ranged grapple.

Urpriest
2014-03-13, 09:34 AM
You'd have to give them a BAB and a Str score, at least...probably also a few other stats in order for them to be meaningful grapplers..and you'd have to specify what sorts of maneuvers they perform, what with no Int score...

Oh, you mean giving whip wielders Improved Grab?

Yeah, I agree that that sounds a bit powerful for an exotic weapon. If you're improving exotic weapons across the board that might fit, but otherwise I'd make it take a feat at least.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-03-13, 09:37 AM
Hilariously grapple is not one of the things a Lasher can do with a whip. Possibly because they could already in 3rd Ed.

Whips are such a terrible weapon without Lasher I would not see a problem, but the question of what to do about Whip Daggers (the far superior weapon) occurs.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-13, 09:39 AM
It's a martial thing; it won't break the game to give them a goodie here and there. :smallwink:

Psyren
2014-03-13, 09:42 AM
I would want a feat for this. Wrapping a whip around someone or their appendage may be easy, but actually restricting them to the extent that the grappled condition applies is much more difficult.

Tripping or disarming them with a whip are both fine though because both of those imply a very sudden lash.