PDA

View Full Version : WoW: What class?

Weebl
2007-02-02, 12:16 PM
Ok, on saturday I'm going to buy World of warcraft and the new expansion. I know that I am going to make a Blood Elf and I don't want to be a Hunter. All I want to know is which class I should have and weather it can be twinked. The avalible classes are: Rogue, Warlock, Mage, Paladin and Priest.

Apollo1564
2007-02-02, 12:32 PM
well, the class you play is based on your play style. Paladin and Rogue would be the easiest for leveling, Paladin more so because it can heal itself in combat without pots. If you're looking for combat and melee damage, go with the Pally, if you're looking to be a caster, go with the mage or the 'lock. I have a 54 Holy priest, its a pain to level.

Tengu
2007-02-02, 12:56 PM
Play a warlock. It is a bit tougher to master than the other classes (but still anyone with an IQ higher than a potted plant will be able to do so easily), but great for soloing stuff and also powerful in pvp.

If you want an easy class to play (since it's your first time in WoW), choose a mage or a rogue - they are the easiest.

banshee_kill
2007-02-02, 01:00 PM
Well here is a brief rundown of the classes in my opinion:

Rogue

They are the melee damage dealers in the game and are often considered one of the two fastest classes for leveling. They are able to dish out large amounts of damage usually while dual wielding daggers or swords, depending on the build. Grouping should not be too much of a problem because most groups need a DPS (damage per second) class, however because Rogues are the most played class in the game they are quite numerous. They are very good soloists since they use energy instead of mana and deal very good damage. In World PvP you have a huge advantage in the form of stealth, basically you get to choose which battles you want to fight. They are also quite good in Battle Grounds as well. Rogues require a bit of skill to master but when you get the combos down, they are both fun and useful.

Paladin

Paladins are a hybrid class that focus more so on melee combat. They have cheap and efficient spells and arguably the best buffs in the game. They also get invincibility spells which are very useful in both PvP and PvE. They also get a free mount at 40 which saves you a lot of money. A good choice all around.

Mage

Mages are the Nuke'ers in the game. They deal lots of damage, especially with AOE attacks. They are almost always needed in groups, and have lots of solo capabilities. Mages also have the flashiest,attacks in the game.

Priest

These are the primary healers in the game and as such you will never have a problem with finding a group. They are pretty hard to level though, at least until 40 when you get shadow form (if you build a shadow priest). Surprisingly Priests are Monsters at PvP. Shadow priests are on of the best PvP builds in the game. However if you do pick this class be prepare to be a healer most of the time while grouping.

Warlock

Warlocks are an interesting class with somewhat of a steep learning curve. They use damage over time (DOT) attacks to kill their foes, as well as lots of debuffing spells. They also get to use demon pets, (more become available as you level) which fill many different roles. Warlocks are usually welcomed in groups thanks to some interesting buffs, and their debuffs. They also get a free mount at 40.

Also, in order to make a twink character you need hundreds of gold. Thus the only way to twink a character is to send it money from another high level character or buy gold online (which I am strongly against).

I personally play a Troll Hunter on Blackwing Lair, so if you need any help and play on that server then just send me a PM I would be happy to help.

Malachi, the Lich King
2007-02-02, 01:35 PM
For what its worth....

Well here is a brief rundown of the classes in my opinion:

Rogue

They are the melee damage dealers in the game and are often considered one of the two fastest classes for leveling. They are able to dish out large amounts of damage usually while dual wielding daggers or swords, depending on the build. Grouping should not be too much of a problem because most groups need a DPS (damage per second) class, however because Rogues are the most played class in the game they are quite numerous. They are very good soloists since they use energy instead of mana and deal very good damage. In World PvP you have a huge advantage in the form of stealth, basically you get to choose which battles you want to fight. They are also quite good in Battle Grounds as well. Rogues require a bit of skill to master but when you get the combos down, they are both fun and useful.

When you get high level you will constantly be pestered to open locked boxes from every Tom, Richard and Harry that has one they can't get themselves. If you think this would bother you immensely, you will probably find yourself abandoning the rogue. It is nice to be able to skip parts of battles or dungeons that you don't feel like dealing with via stealth. I don't PvP so have nothing to add on that subject.

Paladin

Paladins are a hybrid class that focus more so on melee combat. They have cheap and efficient spells and arguably the best buffs in the game. They also get invincibility spells which are very useful in both PvP and PvE. They also get a free mount at 40 which saves you a lot of money. A good choice all around.

I've enjoyed the pally though fights against non-undead aren't as one sided. Blessing of Kings [increase all stats by % rather than a flat amount though for the life of me I can't remember what that % is right now] is probably the class's best buff but you need to invest a fair number of talent points into the Protection spec to get it as its not a standard class learned ability. There are probably more blood elf paladins than any of their other available classes since it was the only one previously not available to Horde players so if you go this route you're less 'special' as far as Blood elves go [if this matters to you at all]

Mage

Mages are the Nuke'ers in the game. They deal lots of damage, especially with AOE attacks. They are almost always needed in groups, and have lots of solo capabilities. Mages also have the flashiest,attacks in the game.

You can also make your own food and water via magic so there is less upkeep in that area. I've found mage difficult for solo adventuring so far but am not that high a level with that particular toon. You are also an aggro sponge so when grouping the other members of the party can sometimes spend all of their time peeling a mob off of you and you won't have the health to take that for long. Being able to polymorph a baddie into a sheep is so much fun though....

Priest

These are the primary healers in the game and as such you will never have a problem with finding a group. They are pretty hard to level though, at least until 40 when you get shadow form (if you build a shadow priest). Surprisingly Priests are Monsters at PvP. Shadow priests are on of the best PvP builds in the game. However if you do pick this class be prepare to be a healer most of the time while grouping.

I agree that so far its been slow going getting this class to level. Always in demand though.

Warlock

Warlocks are an interesting class with somewhat of a steep learning curve. They use damage over time (DOT) attacks to kill their foes, as well as lots of debuffing spells. They also get to use demon pets, (more become available as you level) which fill many different roles. Warlocks are usually welcomed in groups thanks to some interesting buffs, and their debuffs. They also get a free mount at 40.

I have found just the opposite with the lock. I found it an easy class to learn and pretty boring to play: Sic pet on baddie, Immolate, Corruption, Curse of Agony, shoot with wand until dead. Repeat on next baddie. Fear if aggro draws too many.

Also, in order to make a twink character you need hundreds of gold. Thus the only way to twink a character is to send it money from another high level character or buy gold online (which I am strongly against).

I personally play a Troll Hunter on Blackwing Lair, so if you need any help and play on that server then just send me a PM I would be happy to help.

Yeah, hard to twink without already having a high level toon to provide the funds. Unless you join a very generous guild.

And why would you not want to play a hunter? Of all of the classes it is arguably the most powerful and is a monster in PvP from what I've heard. If you don't want to have the hassle of dealing with a pet then you should exclude warlock too. Even after the new patches that toned the hunter down some I can still sometimes take on a group of 5 or 6 of equal level creatures and win, something I haven't been able to do with any other class.

Weebl
2007-02-02, 03:04 PM
And why would you not want to play a hunter? Of all of the classes it is arguably the most powerful and is a monster in PvP from what I've heard. If you don't want to have the hassle of dealing with a pet then you should exclude warlock too. Even after the new patches that toned the hunter down some I can still sometimes take on a group of 5 or 6 of equal level creatures and win, something I haven't been able to do with any other class.

Well I got a Hunter mate and he's going to help me level and quest. He's also got a level 60 druid so that can get me my gold for twinking. And as for the guild he's got that sorted too. He said I should be a rogue so I'll put that in for him since he lacks an account here at giant in the playground.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-02, 03:25 PM
My personal opinion? Ditch the Horde entirely and go Alliance.

But if you already have established friends and such, that's null. If you're set on your BE choice, I'd go Paladin. I have a Paladin on the Alliance side, around lv32, and the survivability of them is amazing, even if you don't Spec' in Protection. Diversity is also nice, you can soak up damage or heal damage equally well.

Malachi, the Lich King
2007-02-02, 03:50 PM
Well I got a Hunter mate and he's going to help me level and quest. He's also got a level 60 druid so that can get me my gold for twinking. And as for the guild he's got that sorted too. He said I should be a rogue so I'll put that in for him since he lacks an account here at giant in the playground.

Fair enough. Blood elves have great racial abilities for rogue.

Weebl
2007-02-02, 04:15 PM
Fair enough. Blood elves have great racial abilities for rogue.

Yeah, I chose blood elf mainly because of their advantage against any mana user so a group of bllod elves (about 5) can stop an alliance mage much higher level.

TheQuestionable
2007-02-02, 05:56 PM
I'd choose Priest; but then again that's because I enjoy the challenge and healing others. It's entirely based of opinion. I can't tell you what class you'd enjoy most playing. You should try all the classes and find out which one you like the best.

Kyrsis
2007-02-03, 04:43 AM
I have a BE Hunter and I love it. I also like rogue, but my rogue is undead; haven't tried them on BE yet.

Murongo
2007-02-03, 08:56 AM
Oo make sure you really want to play WoW before you go out and buy it. As far as MMOs go it gets really boring end-game and the world is incredibly restricted. If you're getting it to play with friends thats a lot of fun, but if you intend to play alone trust me- you're better off with a different game.

And if all your friends just decided to pick up an MMO, make it Vanguard. Its new so you'll be the frontrunners instead of the newbies, and its a far more open world (although still too carebear in my taste).

But, if your friends are already playing and you want to join them- which is completely understandable- I'll add my input about rogues.
-Lockingpicking isn't all that bad, you really don't get bothered too often and often people tip you for your service.
-Very cooldown heavy. Meaning you have moves that "cool down" after about 5 minutes, if you blow all of your cooldowns in one fight you automatically win. If you don't use any- you're at a disadvantage in most fights.
-Rogue damage is very "yellow-based" meaning the damage comes from the class, as opposed to "white-based" which means the damage comes from the weapon. Ultimately people prefer white because gear damage eventually outdoes class. That said, its pretty cool that rogues can often beat other classes with skinning knives while their enemy has the mystic stealer soulblade of death.
-Sneaking is a lot of fun and allows you skip boring content and some grinds. It allows you to go on "stealth runs" with other rogues and druids, where you skip all the basic mobs and fight only bosses for their loot.
-You have 2 trees to choose from out of your 3. Subtelty sucks. I was a fan of the combat rogue but most go assassination.

Eventually, though, my friends and I realized we'd have more fun getting together and playind D&D or just playing a quick game of CS than we would grinding the end-game in WoW. As much as they claim it is, its really not for the casual gamer.

InaVegt
2007-02-03, 10:53 AM
Don't get world of warsuck and buy more real games instead.

Castaras
2007-02-03, 11:12 AM
I like personally Priests and Warlocks. But that's just my humble opinion.

Beleriphon
2007-02-05, 03:39 AM
Don't get world of warsuck and buy more real games instead.

Disregard Gezina who obviously had a traumatic experience with an MMO as a child. :smallwink:

My opion, from the guy with a 62 Paladin, go paladin. They are tons of fun and if you spec holy you will deal obscene amounts of damage. I've managed to pull aggro off a dedicated tank.

Leon
2007-02-05, 04:46 AM
Oo make sure you really want to play WoW before you go out and buy it. As far as MMOs go it gets really boring end-game and the world is incredibly restricted.
As much as they claim it is, its really not for the casual gamer.

May have been before but now it much better, outland is a wonderful place and there is a massive number of new and interesting quests

As to the Vote - Lock, your a magic addicted race with no qualms about using anything to get your Hit

Erloas
2007-02-05, 09:45 AM
I would also vote: find something better to do. WoW wasn't a bad game, but I didn't really think it was a good game either. It is a pretty good game for alt-aholics that never take a character past level 30 or so, but the higher level you go the grindier the game gets.
I had a mage and a shaman that I got to mid 50s. They were both rather fun, though the mage was a bit annoying at times with random people bugging for water, especially when you made it for them and then they complained because it wasn't high enough level.
I also played a hunter and a paladin to mid levels. I think the shaman was a great class for solo-duo groups, but they were less useful in full groups and larger because you had to spec a lot into healing to be very effective and I really didn't want to play the class as a dedicated healer. The paladin is just about the same.
The mage is a great group class, they can solo fairly well but at higher levels some of the fights just take too long. Soloing isn't hard but it isn't as easy as with other classes.
The hunter is pretty good at both solo and group. I liked the class but can't say too much because I started it near when I stopped playing so didn't get too far. The pets were kind of fun but having enough of the right food onhand at all times was a bit annoying.

I would say of your choices I would probably pick the mage.

But I would also advise against WoW on general principle now.

Malachi, the Lich King
2007-02-05, 12:37 PM
Oo make sure you really want to play WoW before you go out and buy it. As far as MMOs go it gets really boring end-game and the world is incredibly restricted. If you're getting it to play with friends thats a lot of fun, but if you intend to play alone trust me- you're better off with a different game.

And if all your friends just decided to pick up an MMO, make it Vanguard. Its new so you'll be the frontrunners instead of the newbies, and its a far more open world (although still too carebear in my taste).

Wasn't the original question "what class should I play?", not "should I play this game?"

-Lockingpicking isn't all that bad, you really don't get bothered too often and often people tip you for your service.

I get pestered constantly and its gotten worse the higher level I've gotten. Everyone seems to have a lockbox that they can't open. Its at its worst in the Stormwind auction house. I'm going to Darnassus specifically to avoid the crowd. Thank god for the portals from Shattrath city.... If you've gotten away without this happening to you, awesome. Wish folks would ignore me too.... Less than 25% of the people who have asked me to open a lock for them have even offered a tip though that % jumps significantly when I'm somewhere other than Stormwind. It could be the server I'm on but I haven't made rogues on other servers to compare.

-Very cooldown heavy. Meaning you have moves that "cool down" after about 5 minutes, if you blow all of your cooldowns in one fight you automatically win. If you don't use any- you're at a disadvantage in most fights.

I wouldn't say you auto win. You can certainly absolutely trounce some stuff if you expend all of your cooldown skills, especially enemy casters but I can say there is a ton of stuff that still smacks me around and the best I can hope for is that I don't get hit with a damage over time effect so it doesn't bump me out of stealth when I have to use vanish to escape.

-Rogue damage is very "yellow-based" meaning the damage comes from the class, as opposed to "white-based" which means the damage comes from the weapon. Ultimately people prefer white because gear damage eventually outdoes class. That said, its pretty cool that rogues can often beat other classes with skinning knives while their enemy has the mystic stealer soulblade of death.

Oui. [nods head in agreement]

-Sneaking is a lot of fun and allows you skip boring content and some grinds. It allows you to go on "stealth runs" with other rogues and druids, where you skip all the basic mobs and fight only bosses for their loot.

Oui. [nods head in agreement]

-You have 2 trees to choose from out of your 3. Subtelty sucks. I was a fan of the combat rogue but most go assassination.

My rogue is mostly subtlety and its completely kick-butt. It might not fit with your playstyle. I have no talent points spent in combat but its a good tree.

InaVegt
2007-02-05, 12:48 PM
Disregard Gezina who obviously had a traumatic experience with an MMO as a child.
The thing I have against world of warsuck is that I loved the warcraft series, but they screwed it all up when they decided it needed an MMORPG, a normal cRPG I could have understood, but strategy games can't just become MMO without me condemning it. And no, I'm not going to try it out, I'm not sure my compy can handle it and I don't have the money.

Gezina van den Vechte, Fallen Celestial, Champion of Hell

Beleriphon
2007-02-06, 12:57 AM
The thing I have against world of warsuck is that I loved the warcraft series, but they screwed it all up when they decided it needed an MMORPG, a normal cRPG I could have understood, but strategy games can't just become MMO without me condemning it. And no, I'm not going to try it out, I'm not sure my compy can handle it and I don't have the money.

Well obviously then you have nothing to contribute except malice. Its obvious weebl is going to buy the game regardless of what you say, so why bother?

Again, paladins are terrific characters.

Crazy Owl
2007-02-06, 02:33 AM

Gezina van den Vechte, Fallen Celestial, Champion of Hell

Wait, your saying it sucks when you havent even tried it? Killing the storyline doesn't stop it from being a good MMO.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-06, 02:35 AM
Yeah, no offence, Gezina, but you're not really in a position to diss it before even trying it.

Cryo
2007-02-06, 06:37 PM
Warlocks survivability and versatility got me sticking to the same character for around 50 levels (I'm a big alt player). Plus, they get the 40th level mount for free (great plus for newcomers).

I didn't renew my subscription last month though... kinda busy with school and all. Hardcore end game is definitely time consuming, and casual content was somewhat limited pre-BC.

Great game overall, but it saddens me a bit that it seems to have stopped all of Blizzard's game production. It has been a few years now that they didn't release a monthly-fee-free game, and we all know they announce them over a year before release... oh well. Can't wait for a new Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 :)

TR4X0R
2007-02-07, 04:27 PM
Rogue. I am currently a 66 rogue and love it.
I'm not a fan of the clothies, as not being able to take more than 2 hits just annoys me, although the warlock pet would help with that. I haven't tried pallys yet, but I hear mixed things.
As for as rogue stuffs goes, lockpicking: great for chests, great for tips, and I haven't been bugged really at all about it as Malachi was. Stealth == awesome, as noted above. And crazy DPS. I too wasn't a fan of the subtelty tree (just 7pts for imp sap :) ), and am basically a combat rogue (I think its 14/lots/7 right now). It is also pretty easy to lvl (2x as fast to get to 60 as I did with my warrior, who now sits in neglect @ 60 as I play my rogue and 32 hunter).

Crazy Owl
2007-02-07, 04:54 PM
I'm not a fan of the clothies, as not being able to take more than 2 hits just annoys me, although the warlock pet would help with that.

The point of cloth wearers is you don't get hit.

talsine
2007-02-07, 04:56 PM
I'm playing a BE 'lock as an alt and its not bad, but you really don't take as much advantage of their racials as, say, the rogue or paly because your not in range to effectivly use your PBAoE silience racial.

Personaly, i would suggest either a Paly or a 'lock as they have the easiet learning curve. Its all about personal preference.

As for the haters out there, WoW is easily the most accessible MMO ever released, and is very casual friendly, just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean other people won't. I play WoW and Vanguard for different reasons, WoW when i have a couple of hours to kill and just want some solo time, or when i want to do a short raid (no such thing in any other MMO i've played) and Vanguard when i'm looking for a more group oreiented experiance and have 4+ hours to spend at the computer. Different strokes for different fokes as it were.

Malachi, the Lich King
2007-02-08, 12:23 AM
Rogue. I am currently a 66 rogue and love it.
I'm not a fan of the clothies, as not being able to take more than 2 hits just annoys me, although the warlock pet would help with that. I haven't tried pallys yet, but I hear mixed things.
As for as rogue stuffs goes, lockpicking: great for chests, great for tips, and I haven't been bugged really at all about it as Malachi was. Stealth == awesome, as noted above. And crazy DPS. I too wasn't a fan of the subtelty tree (just 7pts for imp sap :) ), and am basically a combat rogue (I think its 14/lots/7 right now). It is also pretty easy to lvl (2x as fast to get to 60 as I did with my warrior, who now sits in neglect @ 60 as I play my rogue and 32 hunter).

My rogue is 22 Assassination/0 Combat/31 Subtlety. I keep wondering if I can give up stuff under assassination to get to shadow step under Subt. but I just can't envision being without Cold Blood. That guarenteed crit [assuming you don't whiff that is] has bailed me out so many times. Also, pickpocketing pretty much bought me my riding cat so that should get a mention, though I'd say you have to have the patience to do it as much as I do. I think about respecing to different builds just to see how they work but that gets tres expensive quickly and I'm saving to get the faster riding cat.

TR4X0R
2007-02-08, 10:44 AM
@Crazy Owl - Yeah, I realize that's the point of clothies, but I like to have the option anyway.

My rogue is 22 Assassination/0 Combat/31 Subtlety. I keep wondering if I can give up stuff under assassination to get to shadow step under Subt. but I just can't envision being without Cold Blood. That guarenteed crit [assuming you don't whiff that is] has bailed me out so many times. Also, pickpocketing pretty much bought me my riding cat so that should get a mention, though I'd say you have to have the patience to do it as much as I do. I think about respecing to different builds just to see how they work but that gets tres expensive quickly and I'm saving to get the faster riding cat.

Ah yea, pickpocketing is great. Between pickpocketing, lockpicking, and enchanting, my rogue is a cash farm. And the good thing about BC is that is has made cash incredibly easy to get. Without trying, I've made 200g in the past 2 days. The trick will be getting up the $ for a flying mount...but I've got 3 lvls to worry about that.

Grizzt
2007-02-08, 11:17 AM
Blood Elves are addicted to magic, as noted in the Frozen Throne campaign. So the ideal class for a Blood Elf is the all-powerful Mage. Even a small level mage can kick serious butt. I play on Genjuros (European server) with VERY powerful friends (2 are 60+ one is 45 they also have the best guild in the server). Warlock sucks. He doesn't have the raw power of the mage (although free cool horse a bonus). I just don't like paladins(cough Miko cough).

Tengu
2007-02-08, 12:15 PM
Warlock sucks. He doesn't have the raw power of the mage (although free cool horse a bonus).
You're joking, right? Warlock, for a price of around 10% of damage output, has much more utility and non-direct damage means than mage. Warlock is probably also the most powerful class in pvp, though also requiring the most skill. Everything the mage can do what the warlock can't is create free food and water.

Crazy Owl
2007-02-08, 01:51 PM
Although I agree that Warlock is in fact way better than a Mage they are not a Hard class to play which is mostly why everyone complains they are overpowered. You cast Death Coil which gives you time to cast a longer fear then you stick as many DoTs as you have on. a mage should out nuke a Warlock but the warlock gives up nuking power for other usefyl abilities like pets and DoTs. Congratulations that guy is now wondering why he died so quickly and got next to no damage in.

From what I have played of my friends Mage they are way harder than my Lock but that may just be because I'm used to Locks.

Athenodorus
2007-02-08, 02:02 PM
If you play a healer (Priest, Paladin) you will be universally loved by all you meet, right up until you tire of healing. Though I hear Pally tanking is darn solid now? I may have to give it a whirl.

bdh5533
2007-02-08, 02:13 PM
well i'll put in my two cp.

I've played both paladin and priest to 60 currently working on getting the pally to 70. the problem with both is that your only role in raids tends to be healing. healing is probably the most boring AND the most attention requiring role in a raid. also because your main role in the raid is healing, you will not get damage gear until everyone else has better. this means that you will be stressed, healing all the time, while others sit back and cast their one spell and get all the good damage gear. healers are in demand because nobody wants to play them.

which brings me to warlock/mage. they both are caster types both have severly different play styles. however during raids they often find them selves casting the same spell over and over and over. they do get first pick at damage gear and their gear that enhances pve play also enhances pvp play.

hunters have often the same problems as mages and warlocks. most of their raid role is to hit the same button over and over. hunters are by far the easiest class to play. Hunters also get the ability to customize their character a bit more with cool pets and the ability to name your pet. this also means that hunters get a bad reputation as always getting played by very low iq people.

rogues are very easy to level, and blood elf rogues should do quite well in pvp. the play style changes can be anything from easy (sword rogues) to very technically difficult (dagger rogues). so they offer a consistent challenge to the player. the down side is that people often associate cockyness with rogues because alot of people choose rogues for their sneaky bastardness.

all classes have something that they are constantly bothered on. mages always get asked for ports and water, warlocks get asked for summons, soulstones, and healthstones, priests and paladins get asked for buffs. rogues get asked to pick lock boxes. and finally hunters always get treated as red-headed step children.

so i would roll blood elf rogue. in fact i have. it allows me to be lazy when i want or incredibly technical when i want a challenge. also rogues lend themselves well to being twinked.

i would advise against priest if you plan on doing pvp at all because they are the first targeted and you will die more often than be alive.

Pyre
2007-02-14, 07:45 PM
Warlocks own most in pvp, cept for maybe warriors(but then warriors needed someone to pick on). Mages can own too, but often require good equipment, cause you're one of the first targets and can only take like two hits.

I played a mage to lvl 60, am currently not playing. Ice mage has the most survivability hands down, if you decide to play a mage. Fire can get crazy damage though. Also, ice's control abilities tend to be meaningless in high level raids, since near everything is immune to slows and freezes.

I was an ice mage and enjoyed it very much. End game was pretty boring though.

toddex
2007-02-14, 08:02 PM
Seriously ill tell you one thing, spend less time thinking about twinking and more time developing your own skill with the class, its sad to see my once loved rogue class go from a class that required zero skill to a class that took skill, back to a class that any monkey can play. (mutilate anyone)

If your looking for a challenge I recommend priest, if your looking for something easier then both rogue and hunter, make a warlock.

toddex
2007-02-14, 08:03 PM
Warlocks own most in pvp, cept for maybe warriors(but then warriors needed someone to pick on). Mages can own too, but often require good equipment, cause you're one of the first targets and can only take like two hits.

I played a mage to lvl 60, am currently not playing. Ice mage has the most survivability hands down, if you decide to play a mage. Fire can get crazy damage though. Also, ice's control abilities tend to be meaningless in high level raids, since near everything is immune to slows and freezes.

I was an ice mage and enjoyed it very much. End game was pretty boring though.

I cant believe you just said that, first off warriors = a joke to just about every class in the game now.

Mages are a pretty good choice, fire mages are back to one to two shotting people again, with a heavy arcane and 21 fire build.

Poison_Fish
2007-02-15, 03:49 AM
Seriously ill tell you one thing, spend less time thinking about twinking and more time developing your own skill with the class, its sad to see my once loved rogue class go from a class that required zero skill to a class that took skill, back to a class that any monkey can play. (mutilate anyone)

If your looking for a challenge I recommend priest, if your looking for something easier then both rogue and hunter, make a warlock.

Mutilate is basically the same as any backstab. I don't see how that makes the class any easier or more skillful. I'd say anyone could have always played a rogue, combat specialization is a much more simple route for example. What takes skill is basically the same for all classes, knowing how to play your class and timing of abilities.

toddex
2007-02-16, 12:36 AM
Mutilate is basically the same as any backstab. I don't see how that makes the class any easier or more skillful. I'd say anyone could have always played a rogue, combat specialization is a much more simple route for example. What takes skill is basically the same for all classes, knowing how to play your class and timing of abilities.

No, you actually had to have some sort of sense of what you were doing, you had to watch your energy, and anticipate your enemys moves. Mutilate is backstab damage (usually more) combined with the combo point generation of hemo. To say its anywhere near backstab is to be totally ignorant.

Anyone who remembers dagger rogues remembers how horrible our combo point generation was. Which is why near the end of classic wow before 2.0 most people were hemo. Most...

Poison_Fish
2007-02-16, 02:58 AM
I've been doing a rogue for two years, and while Mutilate is much quicker in point generation(especially with seal fates), it isn't anywhere as "simple" as you make it out to be.

Does it take less skill? Well, if by less skill you mean you don't have to press as many buttons (Hemorrhage, Ghostly Strike, or maybe Reposite/Blade furry), then perhaps. I will give it to subtlety that it has more overall abilities one can use, but I don't see that as being an example of more skill. Having more to do means you just have more things to know when to use.

Also watching energy gauges is required of any rogue. Anticipating any opponents moves, especially in PVP, is required of any rogue, no matter what their build is. I still sap, blind, evade, gouge, kick etc.

The only difference in perception during a back stab or mutilate is that you build a combo quicker and do slightly more damage. But keep in mind, it's an end of tree talent. One that'll get noticed more often then the passive Surprise attacks from combat, or the stealth only shadow step.