PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Cartographer: Yes or No?

Kevka Palazzo
2007-02-02, 01:31 PM
At my local gaming store I had the interesting discovery of a PC game in the D&D books section. I looked at it, and it revealed itself to be a mapmaking program. I did a little more research (read: Wikipedia/company website) and am currently trying to decide if I want to commit the $54.11 it will cost to buy.

Anyone have some first- or second-hand experience with this program? Is the price tag unreasonable? Is it a simple program? Complicated? Useful? What kind of detail can I achieve with it?

Telonius
2007-02-02, 01:45 PM
I've never seen the program. We just use a big pad of 1-inch square graph paper (about $20 for a huge pad at most office supply stores) and a marker, seems to work well. A 1-to-20 campaign usually uses up two of the big pads for us.

squishycube
2007-02-02, 01:49 PM
I found you a review from RPGnet: http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_2821.html
Also, google has images: http://images.google.com/images?q=Campaign%20Cartographer

The RPGnet review isn't very positive about Campaign Cartographer.
This: "Once you've drawn a coastline in rough you can fractalize it to make it appear more natural" is a very good feature though. I think you can do that in a general drawing program too though (with the right tool, settings and/or plugin.).

The problem with map-making programs is that their either very limited or very hard to use (and still pretty limited).
In my experience, you are better of learning to use a vector-based drawing program, like Illustrator (it's professional, but expensive) or Ink (Or something like that. Its free and pretty easy). Once you get the hang of a program like that, you are free to map whatever you like in whatever way you like.

A program like Illustrator can still take a little time to learn to use, but so would a map-making program and I think the time is much better spent with the vector-program.

DrummingDM
2007-02-02, 01:49 PM
I've got a copy of it, and find it pretty useful. It's got a decent learning curve, as it's essentially a dumbed-down version of CAD software with fantasy/sci-fi symbols.

Despite the learning curve - it's REALLY powerful in the hands of a capable operator. I've made a number of maps with it for my homebrew campaign, mostly on a nation-sized scale. I also have the CityDesigner module for Campaign Cartographer and that helps make city design incredibly easy.

jjpickar
2007-02-02, 01:51 PM
Can they be bought online and if so where?

squishycube
2007-02-02, 01:55 PM
Google is your friend:
http://www.profantasy.com/shop/default.asp

I didn't look further than the first link. You might find it cheaper somewhere else, or you might be able to buy it at a place you know and trust with your credit card details.

jjpickar
2007-02-02, 01:56 PM
Thanks Squishycube!:smallsmile:

squishycube
2007-02-02, 02:02 PM
But if you are going to spend a wallop of cash, I'd spend it on a book about Illustrator... The skills you are going to learn to use a program will be much more useful if the program can also be used for other things. (Like drawing a comic!)

Castaras
2007-02-02, 02:05 PM
We have Campaign Cartographer, with zillions of addons. It depends what you get with the program.

I can't say anything about the price, since you're working dollars, but it is a very very very useful program for:

a) Creating Fantasy maps
b) Creating Sc-fi maps
c) Creating custom model train set buildings

And probably for a lot more.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-02-02, 02:07 PM
Hmmm....vector programs...

I suppose I should learn how to use that eventually. What's CAD?

*feels inadequate, especially considering he's a CS major*

Person_Man
2007-02-02, 02:09 PM
I use a large reversible map with hexes on one side and a grid on the other that you can draw on with dry erase markers. Its pretty useful, and only cost me $30. But the two-diminsional-ness of it bugs me some times.

I've been thinking about buying Heroscape or something similar to add depth. Has anyone used it or something similar for D&D to good effect?

wrath
2007-02-02, 02:11 PM
CAD= Computer Aided Drafting

Campaign Cartographer is OK, but I agree that learning a good vector graphics program like Illustrator or Inkscape would be a more generally useful skill.

Fhaolan
2007-02-02, 02:15 PM
Hmmm....vector programs...

I suppose I should learn how to use that eventually. What's CAD?

*feels inadequate, especially considering he's a CS major*

CAD: Computer Assisted Drafting. Generic term for vector-based drawing software that is falling into disuse. 3D CAD is now called 'Modelling', and 2D CAD is just getting to be rare except in specific disciplines like cartography.

InaVegt
2007-02-02, 02:28 PM
I have CC 2 and I like it, steep learning curve though.

Roethke
2007-02-02, 02:32 PM
It's not a "professional" tool, but using the map editor from Civilization IV (or even III) has worked out very nicely for me. With little effort you get gorgeous, realistic looking maps (that are even animated). It is tile-based, though.

Not to mention that you get a wonderful game with it. The only trouble I'd foresee is spending to much time playing Civ, and not enough time gaming.

squishycube
2007-02-02, 02:34 PM
Hurray for such a great alternative! The price is about the same even!

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-02, 03:06 PM
I used an old version of it and liked it OK but now I generally create maps in GIS programs and then export them into something like illustrator for final touch ups.

J_Muller
2007-02-02, 06:26 PM
For less complicated tasks, there's a free map maker here:
http://www.irony.com/jmap/testj.html

which will work in a pinch.

Cybren
2007-02-02, 06:47 PM
I've used Campaign Cartographer and overall I think you might as well use autorealm (http://www.gryc.ws/autorealm.htm) as it's powerful enough and doesn't cost anything. The maps will be not as pretty but still usable and won't involve $50 being spent on a program that has a chance of sitting on your shelf unused.