PDA

View Full Version : Help with pathfinder sorcerer

Wacky89
2014-03-13, 10:49 AM
So I'm gonna play in a pathfinder game, I have never played pathfinder. I have primarily played 3.5, so I need help to build a blaster sorcerer. I need help with feats bloodline etc. What I have found so far is Draconic bloodline adds damage pr dice.

docnessuno
2014-03-13, 11:07 AM
Crossblooded sorcerer (Draconic + Primal) will net you +2 damage / dice for your chosen element.

Wacky89
2014-03-13, 11:29 AM
nvm found it. What about feats?

docnessuno
2014-03-13, 11:33 AM
Crossblooded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/crossblooded) is a Sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer) archetype that allows you to gain the benefits of two blooslines, such as Draconic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/draconic-bloodline) and Primal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/primal), witch is itself a Wildblooded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded) variant of the elemental (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/elemental-bloodline) bloodline.

Wacky89
2014-03-13, 11:48 AM
What does this mean? Favored Class sorcerer on half-orc:
Sorcerer Add +1/2 point of fire damage to spells that deal fire damage cast by the sorcerer.

+1 dmg pr 2 hd or?

docnessuno
2014-03-13, 11:50 AM
What does this mean? Favored Class sorcerer on half-orc:
Sorcerer Add +1/2 point of fire damage to spells that deal fire damage cast by the sorcerer.

+1 dmg pr 2 hd or?

+1 damage for every 2 sorcerer levels where you select that particular favored class option.

ericgrau
2014-03-13, 11:50 AM
Crossblooded sorcerer (Draconic + Primal) will net you +2 damage / dice for your chosen element.

Only with metamagic to make use of your spells per day in levels where you have zero spells known. Which will be difficult to pull off unless you're starting at level 8. Otherwise your damage goes down, not up, from the lower spell level.

Anyway you can get a few blasting spells and build your feats/race/bloodline around them, but I wouldn't ever put a sorcerer in such a narrow role for all his spells. As many complaints as they get they know far too many spells to use them all on blasting.

What level are you starting at? At first level I wouldn't get any damage but instead pickup sleep / color spray and daze. By 2nd level you could pick up burning hands to make use of your bonus damage. Next comes flaming sphere which then combos well with web. But none of these except maybe web if you're starting at high level.

Next comes the real spells that you keep to high level. Fireball gets even better with selective spell, because excluding allies means you can push it closer to enemies and hit more of them for more damage. It also combines well with black tentacles because the tentacles don't get damaged and cluster foes nicely for you. Later you can empower it too. Scorching ray makes a good backup spell for single target damage after that, but you want multi-target as much as possible. [Empowered] magic missile is a nice backup too for hard to get foes. Spell resistance will start becoming a problem soon after, so you want to look into alternate spells or piercing spells. Maybe spell penetration if you can spare the feats. If you have spare feats you might also get precise shot for your ray spell(s). If you do that then those feats and empower also go well with enervation. If you get into even higher level you may want to find ways to change the energy type of your damage spells to get around resistance, or get chain lightning. But normally you can simply overwhelm resistance by doing at least 10 damage more than other types of damage spells. So do specialize in fire for 90% of campaigns.

Like most casters you'll want hour/level buffs in your lower level slots as you get into higher level and keep them up 24 hours. Because you can't possible burn all 30-40 of your spells per day in combat. Mage armor, false life and greater magic weapon are nice. If your party does a lot of dungeon runs then get draconic reservoir. It lets you intentionally fireball your allies and buff their damage at the same time. The huge drawback is that it's 10 min/level so if you aren't spending most of your time in dungeons it could be a wasted spell known. And while you can charge up allies with damage cantrips, I found you often don't have the time. Better to get them all up at once with a fireball unless you're sure you're safe.

That's the basics and I'm sure PF added some damage spells that I missed. But regardless I wouldn't get more than 3-4, and 1-2 at low level. Instead get other spells that complement damage well like those that I mentioned.

ScubaGoomba
2014-03-13, 11:51 AM
Instead of opting to get a bonus Skill Point or a bonus Hit Point when you level up, you can choose to add 1/2 point to fire damage. In a sense, it means +1 for every 2 HD, but that's not totally on point because, at any level, you can choose to get an extra Skill Point or an extra Hit Point instead of the extra 1/2 point of damage.

Wacky89
2014-03-13, 12:00 PM
I just want to deliver the mail, that was why I wanted to do extra damage. I cant see a problem with starting crossblooded it's only 1 fewer spells known each spell level.

ScubaGoomba
2014-03-13, 12:01 PM
One fewer spell per level and -2 to Will saves.

Also, if you want to deliver the mail, you should consider the Arcane Bloodline and picking up a pigeon familiar.

Wacky89
2014-03-13, 12:13 PM
how do I get a familiar ? It doesn't say I get one on the class features

ericgrau
2014-03-13, 12:17 PM
I just want to deliver the mail, that was why I wanted to do extra damage. I cant see a problem with starting crossblooded it's only 1 fewer spells known each spell level.

On your highest level that means knowing zero spells in it for an entire level which hurts your damage tremendously until you get 4th level spells and can use metamagic to fill that spot.

Arcane bloodline gives you a familiar. Sounds like a joke but it could be interesting with vampiric touch, or shocking grasp at low level. Probably less damage than other options but if you have a chance to prep maybe your familiar could open the fight and then you cast in the same round. Whether or not you have time to prep depends on the DM and the campaign. Or some might let the familiar hold the spell all day long since the rule is unclear. I don't remember if PF clarified this rule. And as long as you already cast all your out of combat stuff in the morning.

Wacky89
2014-03-13, 12:26 PM
On your highest level that means knowing zero spells in it for an entire level which hurts your damage tremendously until you get 4th level spells and can use metamagic to fill that spot.

Arcane bloodline gives you a familiar. Sounds like a joke but it could be interesting with vampiric touch, or shocking grasp at low level. Probably less damage than other options but if you have a chance to prep maybe your familiar could open the fight and then you cast in the same round.

Yea I see what you mean. Probably an bad idea then, crazy that pathfinder doesn't even have normal orb spells.

ScubaGoomba
2014-03-13, 12:32 PM
how do I get a familiar ? It doesn't say I get one on the class features

Oh that was mostly a bad joke re: "delivering the mail." Arcane Bloodline gets a Familiar, but you're better off going the way these guys are suggesting.

Killer Angel
2014-03-13, 01:17 PM
Arcane bloodline gives you a familiar. Sounds like a joke but it could be interesting with vampiric touch, or shocking grasp at low level.

...and at higher levels, with improved familiar (mephit), tnx to UMD, you'll have another caster!

BWR
2014-03-13, 01:28 PM
If you play human you can use your Favored Class (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedRaceGuide/coreRaces/humans.html#_favored-class-options) bonus to learn one more spell (of a level lower than the highest you can cast). Check with your DM first if s/he allows it, because it's really powerful and basically a no-brainer for something like a sorcerer.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-13, 01:30 PM
Yea I see what you mean. Probably an bad idea then, crazy that pathfinder doesn't even have normal orb spells.

Paizo didn't include things like the orb spell because they thought they made spellcasters too powerful.

They wanted to limit them to just things like gate and wish and timestop and web and grease and colour spray and solid fog and Cloudkill and planar binding and summon monster and contingency and etc. etc...

Psyren
2014-03-13, 02:28 PM
They wanted to limit them to just things like gate and wish and timestop and web and grease and colour spray and solid fog and Cloudkill and planar binding and summon monster and contingency and etc. etc...

Most of which were nerfed and, in any event, people b**** about the orbs nonstop here so you'd think any reduction would be good.

Yanisa
2014-03-13, 02:51 PM

Well there is a Lesser Orb of Cold (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/snowball), sort of. Outside core, but still Paizo Published.

Killer Angel
2014-03-14, 07:30 AM
Paizo didn't include things like the orb spell because they thought they made spellcasters too powerful.

This is OT, but the problem many people have with orbs, is not their power per se, but the fact that is ST: none, SR: none, school: not evocation.
It's a spell designed to mimic the basic purpose of a specific school, in a more efficient way. We already have sufficient reasons to have specialized wizards that ban evocations, there was no need to add another one... the whole orb's line, is a sort of bad joke.