PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Assisting a sight impaired player

necroon
2014-03-13, 01:34 PM
Hello Fellow Playgrounders!

I am looking for advice or possible tools for helping a sight-impaired player.

I am a long-time DM/GM/Story Teller and one of my regulars is, as the subject implies, Sight-Impaired: in fact s/he is almost completely blind.

At her/his disposal he has a laptop that can read text to him/her (if it is in a text format: obviously a picture does not help her/him), a pen friend (a device that can record audio on a sticker and play it by reading the sticker: s/he has used this for creating maneuver cards or spell cards), and a very good understanding of the fundamentals of 3.5 and 3.P (the primary games s/he plays in and the primary systems I use).

I'm looking to help improve her/his experience in any way possible as I have noticed as late that s/he is getting a bit frustrated at the table and am looking for any suggestions or tips anyone might be able to provide.

ellindsey
2014-03-13, 02:24 PM
There do exist dice which have raised bumps that can be read by feel. We had a blind person in our gaming group for a while who used those. I've only seen them in D6 however, I don't know if they exist for other dice types.

ElenionAncalima
2014-03-13, 02:33 PM
I don't know about special tools, but in general I would say focus on running a description heavy game where everyone describes their actions. Definitley avoid using maps and miniatures, as that will probably make him/her feel excluded and dependant on everyone else moving his/her piece around.

1337 b4k4
2014-03-13, 02:34 PM
It would help if we knew a bit more about what your friend is frustrated about. Different frustrations would have different solutions. Also, for your own sanity, it is proper english to use the words them, their, and they, for a non-gender specified individual despite what your english teacher may have told you.

necroon
2014-03-13, 02:52 PM
There do exist dice which have raised bumps that can be read by feel. We had a blind person in our gaming group for a while who used those. I've only seen them in D6 however, I don't know if they exist for other dice types.

Ah: that would certainly be worth looking into. Do you know by chance where they came from? D6's are very common so even if that is all I can find that would be helpful! I have a friend whom is apt at wood working so perhaps I can have him fabricate me a D20: it may not be balanced but at least it would make him feel a bit more self-sufficient.

I don't know about special tools, but in general I would say focus on running a description heavy game where everyone describes their actions. Definitley avoid using maps and miniatures, as that will probably make him/her feel excluded and dependant on everyone else moving his/her piece around.

That makes sense. A lot of my other players really like maps and minis so maybe I should work on doing a better job explaining the surroundings. Next session I may "accidentally" leave my mat at home and do combat at home to see if that makes life a bit easier: thanks for the tip!

It would help if we knew a bit more about what your friend is frustrated about. Different frustrations would have different solutions.

I'm not sure I know: I have asked and the individual in question has told me that s/he is not frustrated but that is clearly not the case. As such I am trying to see what changes other players or DM/GM/Story Teller's recommend or have used in the past to see if I can better feel out where the "pain point" is, so to speak.

Also, for your own sanity, it is proper english to use the words them, their, and they, for a non-gender specified individual despite what your english teacher may have told you.
This isn't related to the topic of discussion. If you wish to discuss grammar I would be happy to do so via an alternate median be it another thread elsewhere or via private messages.

Elderand
2014-03-13, 02:59 PM
I'd amend the advice about running description heavy game to also do so while paying attention to non sight related description.

The smell, the taste, the feeling and especialy the sounds and echoes can help give an idea of the dimensions of things.

The proper term for the dices you could use is brailed dice, might help you in your search.

1337 b4k4
2014-03-13, 03:05 PM
That makes sense. A lot of my other players really like maps and minis so maybe I should work on doing a better job explaining the surroundings. Next session I may "accidentally" leave my mat at home and do combat at home to see if that makes life a bit easier: thanks for the tip!

If your friend has been nearly blind most/all of their life, also bear in mind that they may have a hard time imagining the visual surroundings you describe. Consider increasing the amount of alternative senses in your descriptions as well, scents, sounds and feelings.

I'm not sure I know: I have asked and the individual in question has told me that s/he is not frustrated but that is clearly not the case. As such I am trying to see what changes other players or DM/GM/Story Teller's recommend or have used in the past to see if I can better feel out where the "pain point" is, so to speak.

Out of curiosity (and this may be asking for too much information) but how do you know they're frustrated with your DMing or with sight based issues? I mean, I get your trying to be helpful, but if your friend says they're not frustrated at you or with your DMing, it seems only reasonable to take them at their word unless you have some fairly strong indicator otherwise. It could be they simply have some other issues going on right now that are bleeding into the game, and there's always the risk that pushing forward with attempting to add additional accommodations for them will annoy them rather than improve their mood.

This isn't related to the topic of discussion. If you wish to discuss grammar I would be happy to do so via an alternate median be it another thread elsewhere or via private messages.

No worries, I just noticed you slipped on maintaining the ambiguity in the first post and figured if you didn't know (or if english wasn't your first language) you might rather use an easier form that didn't require double typing everything and careful avoidance of the modern default.

ellindsey
2014-03-13, 03:25 PM
Ah: that would certainly be worth looking into. Do you know by chance where they came from? D6's are very common so even if that is all I can find that would be helpful! I have a friend whom is apt at wood working so perhaps I can have him fabricate me a D20: it may not be balanced but at least it would make him feel a bit more self-sufficient.

The ones we bought him were from a booth in the GenCon dealer's room. I've seen them for sale there several times at the big dice seller booths. I don't know who the original manufacturer is.

Fabletop
2014-03-13, 03:52 PM
This thread (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/6532/gming-for-disabled-players-specifically-blind-players) from Rpg.stackexchange might help. It has tips from a legally-blind player.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-13, 03:57 PM
They'd be VERY difficult to replicate for a d20, because you'd have to have a very big d20 that the braille could fit on. And that doesn't account for possibly upside-down numbers.

However, using three tactile dice could work (rolling 3d6 instead of 1d20). It gives a different probability distribution, but it still gives the same range. Seems like a reasonable compromise. (You just have to shift the crit range down--and it shouldn't make much of a difference if they're not relying on crits for their character.) It's not perfect, but I think it works.

Also, refresh your descriptions. :smallsmile: Remind everyone where the characters are, and keep them updated. Take the take to pull back out for a "bird's eye view" summary. "So, just to recap, we've got the ogre down in the middle, the thief and the paladin behind it, the ranger up in front, drawing a bead on it, and the wizard preparing a spell in the back. Paladin, it's your go."

Also, that StackExchange thread is wonderful! Love the top two answers especially.

Kalmageddon
2014-03-13, 06:35 PM
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't normal dice work for a blind person? Every single set of dice I've seen doesn't simply have the numbers painted on the things, they are actually carved into the plastic in such a way that I would imagine a blind person could read by tact, I mean, I can sort of do it without even trying, I bet someone that relies on other senses far more than me would have an even easier time doing it.

As for the OP, you have already been given some good suggestions, so I don't have much to add. Perhaps talk to this person about how s/he experiences things so to better understand what kind of sensory input is better suited for each description. Having an idea of how each thing feels like for him/her would be great in order to properly convey their character's experience.

Also, out of curiosity, is his/her character blind as well? If not, and if this person was always blind, I can see how giving an appropriate description to what his character experiences would be a bit problematic.

necroon
2014-03-13, 06:46 PM
I'd amend the advice about running description heavy game to also do so while paying attention to non sight related description.

The smell, the taste, the feeling and especialy the sounds and echoes can help give an idea of the dimensions of things.

The proper term for the dices you could use is brailed dice, might help you in your search.

More good ideas: Thank you! :smallsmile:

If your friend has been nearly blind most/all of their life, also bear in mind that they may have a hard time imagining the visual surroundings you describe. Consider increasing the amount of alternative senses in your descriptions as well, scents, sounds and feelings.

That's a great idea~

Out of curiosity (and this may be asking for too much information) but how do you know they're frustrated with your DMing or with sight based issues? I mean, I get your trying to be helpful, but if your friend says they're not frustrated at you or with your DMing, it seems only reasonable to take them at their word unless you have some fairly strong indicator otherwise. It could be they simply have some other issues going on right now that are bleeding into the game, and there's always the risk that pushing forward with attempting to add additional accommodations for them will annoy them rather than improve their mood.

I have some fairly strong indications. I've been gaming with the individual for a few good years now and have a pretty good handle on their personality both in and out of game.

The ones we bought him were from a booth in the GenCon dealer's room. I've seen them for sale there several times at the big dice seller booths. I don't know who the original manufacturer is.
Fair Enough: I'll have some friends that go to GenCON take a look for me.

This thread (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/6532/gming-for-disabled-players-specifically-blind-players) from Rpg.stackexchange might help. It has tips from a legally-blind player.

Awesome: Thankcha! :smallsmile:

They'd be VERY difficult to replicate for a d20, because you'd have to have a very big d20 that the braille could fit on. And that doesn't account for possibly upside-down numbers.

However, using three tactile dice could work (rolling 3d6 instead of 1d20). It gives a different probability distribution, but it still gives the same range. Seems like a reasonable compromise. (You just have to shift the crit range down--and it shouldn't make much of a difference if they're not relying on crits for their character.) It's not perfect, but I think it works.

Also, refresh your descriptions. :smallsmile: Remind everyone where the characters are, and keep them updated. Take the take to pull back out for a "bird's eye view" summary. "So, just to recap, we've got the ogre down in the middle, the thief and the paladin behind it, the ranger up in front, drawing a bead on it, and the wizard preparing a spell in the back. Paladin, it's your go."

Also, that StackExchange thread is wonderful! Love the top two answers especially.

The 3D6 isn't a bad idea: I'll bring that up and see what the feelings on it are (assuming I can find me some Braille D6's: I'm hopeful!
I really like the recap idea: it's subtle and would really help them keep on top of where things are.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't normal dice work for a blind person? Every single set of dice I've seen doesn't simply have the numbers painted on the things, they are actually carved into the plastic in such a way that I would imagine a blind person could read by tact, I mean, I can sort of do it without even trying, I bet someone that relies on other senses far more than me would have an even easier time doing it.

We have tried that. Usually the dice ends up getting shifted or bumped quite a bit which frustrates a few of the other players. Not saying I agree or disagree with their frustration.

As for the OP, you have already been given some good suggestions, so I don't have much to add. Perhaps talk to this person about how s/he experiences things so to better understand what kind of sensory input is better suited for each description. Having an idea of how each thing feels like for him/her would be great in order to properly convey their character's experience.

Also, out of curiosity, is his/her character blind as well? If not, and if this person was always blind, I can see how giving an appropriate description to what his character experiences would be a bit problematic.

His/Her character is not blind, no. The individual has not always been blind, either. I also do not believe s/he has played a blind character. I haven't recommended it because, for me, I like to get out of my own skin when I play in a game and enjoy being someone else for a few hours.

Excession
2014-03-13, 07:03 PM
Fair Enough: I'll have some friends that go to GenCON take a look for me.

You could also use Google (https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=braille+dice), and order some online. That even finds a 3D printed Braille d20 (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:93798).

If your friend has an iPhone, Siri can roll dice (http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20131001064633522) from voice commands. "Siri, pick a number between one and twenty." Other more D&D oriented voice activated apps are sure to exist somewhere.

Diskhotep
2014-03-13, 07:28 PM
Another possibility for a d20 is a deck of braille playing cards. Take out the face cards and jokers and use aces as ones, and you have a deck containing two sets of 1-20 (just count either red or black as 10 higher and reshuffle after each "roll").

necroon
2014-03-13, 07:57 PM
You could also use Google (https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=braille+dice), and order some online. That even finds a 3D printed Braille d20 (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:93798).

If your friend has an iPhone, Siri can roll dice (http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20131001064633522) from voice commands. "Siri, pick a number between one and twenty." Other more D&D oriented voice activated apps are sure to exist somewhere.

There's a lot of products out there an quite honestly in my personal experience when it comes to specialty items like this one is best served looking for opinions in different places than where said items is sold. But yes: I did try Google.

The Siri App is an interesting idea, though.

Another possibility for a d20 is a deck of braille playing cards. Take out the face cards and jokers and use aces as ones, and you have a deck containing two sets of 1-20 (just count either red or black as 10 higher and reshuffle after each "roll").

Now this I really like: great idea!

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-03-14, 08:36 AM

I'm not blind, but from every single dice I own (which includes a D100 - yes, you too can roll a dice, and follow it off the table, across the floor and under the sofa thanks to the cat jumping on it, just to find out whether you made that vitally important roll :smallamused:), the numbers simply aren't tactile enough to tell what they are. While a blind person could be a lot better at sensing things like that than any of us are, I'd very much doubt they'll be able to do it reliably enough or quickly enough - especially with the smaller faced dice like D20s.

For dice, with you saying that they're almost blind, is your player able to differentiate between colours? If so, painting the faces might work (although for a D20, you might need to use colours for ranges (say blue for 1-4, red for 5-8, white for 9-12, green for 13-16 and black for 17-20, or half the face for 1-10, full face for 11-20).

Or, as they've got a screen reader, spreadsheets can produce random numbers which change when the spreadsheet is updated.

Using a combination of the two, you might be able to work something out.

Of there's this (which I just found looking for D100 images for those who've never experienced their full majestic marvel) http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm , which might work with a screen reader :smallcool:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-14, 11:15 AM
This is probably the most time-efficient method. I support it!

Mastikator
2014-03-14, 11:36 AM
For dice, the DM could roll ALL dice rolls and announce the results in all occations. I don't necessarily mean the dice results, it's easier to just say "PC X succeeds task Y, PC A fails task B, NPC N succeeds awesomely task M"

ElenionAncalima
2014-03-14, 12:24 PM
For dice, the DM could roll ALL dice rolls and announce the results in all occations. I don't necessarily mean the dice results, it's easier to just say "PC X succeeds task Y, PC A fails task B, NPC N succeeds awesomely task M"

The only thing I don't like about this is it takes some of the power and fun away from the players. Most players I know enjoy rolling their own dice, as simple a thing as it is.

I would think that finding a way for the blind player to enjoy rolling is a better strategy than taking rolling away from everybody.

Mastikator
2014-03-14, 12:28 PM
The only thing I don't like about this is it takes some of the power and fun away from the players. Most players I know enjoy rolling their own dice, as simple a thing as it is.

I would think that finding a way for the blind player to enjoy rolling is a better strategy than taking rolling away from everybody.

What power does it take away from the players? I get that some might find rolling dice fun (just like at Yahtzee), but the dice results are random, you literally have no power when rolling them and it literally makes no difference who rolls. Unless you do have power over the result (which would mean you're cheating somehow).

Edit- I should say that there are several other reasons why the DM should take away the dice from the players even if there's no visually impaired players at the table, for example some players like to toss the dice in an awkward way that always lands it under the sofa, take that dice away and into an efficient dice user.
It's also makes the game feel less like a board game or computer game and more like a roleplaying game (in my experience).

ElenionAncalima
2014-03-14, 12:57 PM
What power does it take away from the players?

Even if it is only an illusion of power, it at least lets players feel like they are in control of their own fate.

I am sure that sometimes it has to be done (remote players, cheaters, lack of good rolling surfaces). However, I would use that as a last resort in less the player don't like/don't care about rolling.

I guess its a silly thing, but pretty much everyone I have ever played with would rather roll themselves than have someone else do it. Maybe other people have had different experiences.

Mastikator
2014-03-14, 01:01 PM
But it's not the dice that controls your fate, it's your decisions. The way we did it in my last group was the DM described everything with words (and no pictures or maps or anything) and rolled all the dice. It worked out great, and it would be perfectly welcoming for someone blind without having to even change anything on their behalf. I really think that once you play a few sessions without dice you'll stop missing them. The dice are like a TV, you truly won't miss it when it's gone.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-14, 01:11 PM
There's a psychological element. It feels good to roll your own dice. Even if it makes no difference, you like being the one who gets to do that. Anything that gives you control over an aspect of the game is a positive thing.

Honest Tiefling
2014-03-14, 01:31 PM
The thread on RPG stack exchange mentioned using a mat, but doing so in such a way that it can be felt as well as seen. I would imagine that this is worth a try, as some people are going to be helpless without the dang thing, and this way, your friend can try to plan when the DM is busy with someone else.

Calinero
2014-03-14, 02:53 PM
It wouldn't be that hard to make a tool that either does a virtual dice roll or hooks up to a pre-existing one, and then reads the result out loud. Just a little bit of computer shenanigans. Then again, that's an effect that is just as easily reproduced by having someone there read the dice for your player, so I don't know if that's any help.

I guess the most important question here is, what does the player feel like they're missing out on? Do they not get to participate in the tactics because they can't see the map? Are they having trouble reading their character sheet? What part of the experience are they not receiving? If we know this, we know specifically what part we need to replace.

Oh, another alternate to dice rolling: a wheel you spin, Wheel of Fortune style (except horizontal) that has 20 braille numbers. Actually, if you increased the number a bit it could double as multiple dice, but you'd have to get up to 120 to be able to simulate everything from a d4 to a d20.

veti
2014-03-15, 05:59 PM
I guess its a silly thing, but pretty much everyone I have ever played with would rather roll themselves than have someone else do it. Maybe other people have had different experiences.

Every D&D player I know shares the secret knowledge, denied to scientists and mathematicians, that when you roll dice properly, you can control the outcome by sheer willpower. That's why, when there's just one natural 20 between you and a TPK, it comes up eight times in ten.

And that's why it's best not just to roll dice for yourself, but specifically your own dice. They're easier to control.

Ason
2014-03-15, 09:33 PM
I have no advice to give, but I want to say how much I appreciate this thread's existence. Way to be supportive and loving towards a friend by working to provide her/him a more comfortable gaming experience!

Knaight
2014-03-16, 12:26 PM

You don't even need to reshuffle - the odds do change subtly as you play, but that's not actually a big deal, particularly when there are multiple copies of each roll. For the smaller dice this is more of an issue - 12 selected cards for a d6 has randomness issues, though they actually make touch readable d6.

As for detailed tactical positioning - this can be a bit problematic, though it depends on how well the player holds information in their head. Something like the corkboard listed in the linked thread would work. Another method would be chess style movement - have a notation for spacing, and list movement along the lines of "The Goblin Spearman charges from E7 to G9, [rest of description in a less mechanical way]". If you don't focus on careful positioning, there's much less of an issue.

Diskhotep
2014-03-16, 06:33 PM
You don't even need to reshuffle - the odds do change subtly as you play, but that's not actually a big deal, particularly when there are multiple copies of each roll. For the smaller dice this is more of an issue - 12 selected cards for a d6 has randomness issues, though they actually make touch readable d6.

That's true. Odds are if the cards are treated like dice they will be shuffled anyway - it's hard to keep your hands off the fiddly bits.

As far as the lower dice values go, I'd just flip cards off the top until you got a valid number, ignoring the color except for the d12 (only count A-6, add 6 for red/black). D4 you could either flip until you hit 4 or less, or treat as the d20 and divide by 5 (round up).

Knaight
2014-03-16, 08:10 PM
That's true. Odds are if the cards are treated like dice they will be shuffled anyway - it's hard to keep your hands off the fiddly bits.

That pretty much handles all the shuffling needed.