PDA

View Full Version : Sha'ir/Mystic Theurge Dispute

Hangwind
2014-03-13, 02:21 PM
Alright, those of you paying attention to the Iron Chef competition can probably guess what this is about. For everybody else, the situation is this: I had a build that involved Mystic Theurge with Sha'ir. I said that the RAW for the class meant that a Sha'ir would gain double levels in Spellcasting and Caster Level (though oddly, not in spells known). The judge said that he didn't feel it could stack that way. So, my question is, does this trick work by RAW?

Incidentally, I actually agree with the low score on the build. After all, one way, my build didn't work; the other it is some very serious cheese:smallbiggrin:

So, opinions? Thank you!

malonkey1
2014-03-13, 02:23 PM
Alright, those of you paying attention to the Iron Chef competition can probably guess what this is about. For everybody else, the situation is this: I had a build that involved Mystic Theurge with Sha'ir. I said that the RAW for the class meant that a Sha'ir would gain double levels in Spellcasting and Caster Level (though oddly, not in spells known). The judge said that he didn't feel it could stack that way. So, my question is, does this trick work by RAW?

Incidentally, I actually agree with the low score on the build. After all, one way, my build didn't work; the other it is some very serious cheese:smallbiggrin:

So, opinions? Thank you!

RAW? I would say that it would work. RAI? Hell to the no.

Aracor
2014-03-13, 02:44 PM
Why would it work? This part of the quote in the SRD kind of suggests that it would not:

When a new mystic theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class and any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of mystic theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.There's nothing in here about getting double the level of mystic theurge if they only have one caster class.

It can easily be argued that adding a level to the Sha'ir class is simultaneously fulfilling the requirements of both adding to the arcane and divine class WITHOUT cheesing it and saying you get +2 levels per level.

Elderand
2014-03-13, 02:45 PM
Why would it work? This part of the quote in the SRD kind of suggests that it would not:

There's nothing in here about getting double the level of mystic theurge if they only have one caster class.

It can easily be argued that adding a level to the Sha'ir class is simultaneously fulfilling the requirements of both adding to the arcane and divine class WITHOUT cheesing it and saying you get +2 levels per level.

Point of order, the rule say nothing about said situation because said situation had no way of existing at the time the rule was written.

Doc_Maynot
2014-03-13, 02:46 PM
RAW, I asked the board and this was the answer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17020889&postcount=1414) I received.

RAI, This was probably not the intended case. Then again, Sha'ir isn't a normally functioning spellcaster.

Sian
2014-03-13, 02:58 PM
I'm of the opinion that Sha'irs are Arcane Spellcasters (supported from the fact that they suffers from Arcane spell failure), that as able to get a limited amount of spells that's usually divine in nature.

Psyren
2014-03-13, 03:16 PM
Aracor's interpretation is the one I use.

Eldonauran
2014-03-13, 03:19 PM
This essentially means that he adds the level of mystic theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

Yeah, this pretty much shuts the door on the RAW argument. It's a shame. That would have been some great cheese.