atemu1234
2014-03-13, 03:28 PM
Ok. I've got a group of six players, which consists of the following:

A bard/druid
A ranger
Two sorcerers
A Rogue
An Archivist

I'm thinking I've got too many people. I'm looking to split the group into two, but I'm wondering which division I should do. Since the group is, for the most part, primary spellcasters, I don't know how I should do it. They're all tenth level now, and the intended division involves one group going on a stormwrack campaign. The ranger especially wants to go on that one. Any tips?

docnessuno
2014-03-13, 03:31 PM
Without more information it's quite hard to tell, but Ranger + Sorcerer + Archivist and Bard-Druid + Sorcerer + Rogue seems like the best split, balance-wise.

Kazudo
2014-03-13, 03:32 PM
Ok. I've got a group of six players, which consists of the following:

A bard/druid
A ranger
Two sorcerers
A Rogue
An Archivist

I'm thinking I've got too many people. I'm looking to split the group into two, but I'm wondering which division I should do. Since the group is, for the most part, primary spellcasters, I don't know how I should do it. They're all tenth level now, and the intended division involves one group going on a stormwrack campaign. The ranger especially wants to go on that one. Any tips?

By splitting the group, do you mean running two separate groups simultaneously? I can kinda say that may or may not go well. If you're looking to split it evenly, though, it depends on what the specific adventures are. I did an urban game which was best described as "CSI: Greyhawk" and it went well to have the entire group together as a braintrust, but to split them up along easy social lines for actual legwork. It worked amazingly and helped build some pretty awesome RP situations.

atemu1234
2014-03-13, 03:56 PM
Yeah, they're probably going to wind up going back into one group eventually, but that's going to be a few (dozen) missions later. And I know I can run two groups. I've done it before.

hymer
2014-03-13, 04:09 PM
You could ask the players?

Otherwise, rogue, ranger, bard/druid could be the low-tier group (depending on what exactly the druid/bard is), while the 2s and the 1 could go together. The first group could do some stealth and nature stuff together. The others might find the experience of dealing with normal situations without skill monkeys and melee to cover certain angles refreshing. I'd maybe put them on a deadline, to keep the archivist from going overboard with new spells and make the sorcerers cry. It might also make them hurry along, so the sorcerers' magical stamina could come into effect.

Alternately, a divine caster, a sorcerer and a skill monkey on each team.

KorbeltheReader
2014-03-13, 04:44 PM
Are they going to be meeting at different times/places? If so, I say split the players, not the characters. Better to have everyone playing with the people they most want to play with. If the balance isn't right you can always spot them a npc BSF or whatever.

atemu1234
2014-03-13, 04:46 PM
The Bard/Druid is a human, third level bard, seventh level druid... I think. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Ketiara
2014-03-13, 04:56 PM
Are they going to be meeting at different times/places? If so, I say split the players, not the characters. Better to have everyone playing with the people they most want to play with. If the balance isn't right you can always spot them a npc BSF or whatever.

I agree with this!
The synergy of the players behind the chars is the most important. If someone has joined because of another player, it doesnt make much sence to split them up and risking them not being comfortable and having fun...
But you know if this is an issue or not, but players first then chars. IMO

khachaturian
2014-03-13, 06:32 PM
are you sure that every player will show up for every session? three players doesn't leave any room for real life butting its head into your schedule

hemming
2014-03-13, 08:34 PM
I think you should try and go with it - if your own personal experience is different then I understand your hesitation, but I've always found big groups really fun.

Also, party splits in the game in a big party occasionally aren't too bad bc you have enough people that they can have social time while individuals or small groups get into shenanigans (depending on player dynamics) - I might even suggest pairing them up for party splits as each PC is likely to have at least one in-game PC buddy in the group

Edit: To actually answer OP - I second Docnessuno's suggestion