PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Feats that grant Cohorts - stacking?

Segev
2014-03-13, 04:15 PM
So, let's say you have a character who picked up Leadership at level 6, uses it for RP purposes and mechanical backup to do some things in downtime and provide a minor amount of infrastructure to back up his adventuring, and got a wyrmling dragon as his cohort.

Later, he picks up Dragon Cohort in order to apply the -3 ECL to the little guy. Does moving the wyrmling (now with class levels) to occupy the Dragon Cohort slot leave him with a second cohort slot to fill, now?

Short version: If a character has both Leadership and Dragon Cohort, does he have two cohorts, at least one of which must be a dragon? Or is there a rule I'm missing that would still limit him to just one, and he's effectively wasting part of his Leadership feat when he invests in Dragon Cohort for the -3 ECL?

Coidzor
2014-03-13, 04:22 PM
I believe Leadership + Dragon Cohort gives two cohorts, yes.

I don't think Leadership and Undead Leadership stack though, but I can't remember why I think that. :smallconfused:

Segev
2014-03-13, 04:23 PM
I'm away from book at the moment, but I think I recall Undead Leadership explicitly saying you couldn't have both it and Leadership.

I don't recall Dragon Cohort having any such restrictions. Glad I'm not the only one, though!

Yanisa
2014-03-13, 04:27 PM
The precise line is "You attract followers and a cohort as if you had taken the Leadership feat." It also states it works like leadership, but with a penalty to living and a bonus to undead.

TBH, there isn't any in RAW really stating you cannot take both, but it is clearly implied that Undead Leadership = Leadership with a slight variation on the leadership score. Unless I missed a line in the book.

Edit: I believe the difference is that Dragon Cohort clearly gives you a cohort, no strings attached, but Leadership and Undead Leadership both work with a Leadership score to base your cohorts and followers on.

Talya
2014-03-13, 04:42 PM
Note that taking a dragon cohort gives you a -2 on your Leadership score for standard Leadership cohort purposes, though.

You could also take Wild Cohort along with that.

Yanisa
2014-03-13, 04:46 PM
Note that taking a dragon cohort gives you a -2 on your Leadership score for standard Leadership cohort purposes, though.

You could also take Wild Cohort along with that.

I am looking at the Draconomicon, page 104 and page 138, but I don't see such a line... Is it errata, another book or am I blind?

Talya
2014-03-13, 04:50 PM
I am looking at the Draconomicon, page 104 and page 138, but I don't see such a line... Is it errata, another book or am I blind?

It's in the SRD under leadership. Although it's more specific than I remember...

Has a familiar, special mount, or animal companion -2

The intent is clearly to weaken your cohort if you already have a similar NPC attached to your own. But it actually isn't stated quite generally enough to apply by RAW, as cohorts are not familiars, special mounts, or animal companions, and the SRD was written before it was possible to get multiple types of cohorts. (With Leadership or Undead Leadership, Wild Cohort, and Dragon Cohort, that's three.) Your DM is likely to notice it under the Leadership score modifiers, though.